PDA

View Full Version : 3DLabs in talks w/Apple

sailfish
09-28-2003, 07:52 PM
Hello, this is inform you that I have contacted 3DLabs about their Wildcat video cards and they have responded:

Good evening Mr. xxxx, and thank you for your interest in 3Dlabs products.

At this time we are having discussions with Apple to see how our two products will fit together. Do you have a preference for which 3Dlabs product family you would like to see support the Apple G5?

Sincerely,

Steve Cox

Stephen D. Cox
North American Channel Sales Manager

3Dlabs - A CREATIVE COMPANY
9668 Madison Blvd.
Madison, Alabama 35758

tel: removed obviously
fax: removed obviously
web: www.3dlabs.com

If you wish to email [email protected]

And express your interest please do!

Why should the Windows side (and Linux) hog all the fun?

P.S. My hangout forum is at Think Secret

Beamtracer
09-29-2003, 01:33 AM
Thanks for the tip, Sailfish.

It seems companies are now rushing to develop for the G5.

Jimzip
09-29-2003, 01:56 AM
That looks like a really sweet card.
384MB!!!!
That's like.. 128MB more than 256MB! :D

And my goodness,
"Performance:
37.9 Million tri/sec
400.0 Million pixels/sec
33.9 Million vec/sec " :eek:

That's a nice card.. I might drop them a line.

Thanks sailfish,
Jimzip :D

Jimzip
09-29-2003, 02:13 AM
Oh mah goodness!
I didn't see the Wildcat VP Pro!!!
512MB!!! OMG!
Oh, if that get's successfully ported I am so there!

http://www.3dlabs.com/product/wildcat4/index.htm

Ade
09-29-2003, 02:49 AM
very very expensive, many cant warrant the extra cost and would rather buy a pc just to render with. Apple needs to justify the port, get pixar to use the cards in g5s.

fxgeek
09-29-2003, 05:24 AM
Originally posted by Ade
very very expensive, many cant warrant the extra cost and would rather buy a pc just to render with. Apple needs to justify the port, get pixar to use the cards in g5s.

The WildCat boards have nothing to do with rendering. We use them in our PC's in work, and they basically let you work with high resolution models in realtime. People have been crying out for Pro boards on the Mac and the wildcat boards are the standard top end PC board. Yes, they are expensive, but that's what the Pro boards are all about.

Ade
09-29-2003, 09:08 AM
FX im all for it BUT what im trying to say is are there really any PRO 3D mac users out there? Like studios that use macs for 3D? I would say no.
Pixar needs to leed the way and show how far apple has come from g4-g5.

fxgeek
09-29-2003, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by Ade
FX im all for it BUT what im trying to say is are there really any PRO 3D mac users out there? Like studios that use macs for 3D? I would say no.
Pixar needs to leed the way and show how far apple has come from g4-g5.

Yes, there are. You'd be surprised. And there are many more that want to switch to the Mac but are put off by the lack of Pro Boards. People have been touting this as one of the reasons not to use the mac for 3d, well, if 3D labs address that issue all the better.

(Since the G5 came out it has been the main Mac bashing point since they cant really argue about the speed issues any more)

Despite the impression you may get from reading these forums, and the comments from the PC Trolls that seem to turn any platform debates into a pointless circle of arguments there are many good companies doing full production work, both with LW and Maya on the Mac. (I use both PC and Mac here in our Post House). Alias have a number of stories of High Profile work being done on the Mac.

There are also a lot of companies still using SGI machines looking for alternatives and have been eying the G5's. I can tell you now, without a shadow of a doubt, that there is a very large market (relatively speaking) for high end Pro 3D cards on the Mac.

Ade
09-29-2003, 09:24 AM
Cool, i guess PRO cards were a big deciding factor. BUT macs were always slower renderers which is why they never were an option for rendering BUt only for post prod. G5 is to change this.

Chazz
09-29-2003, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Ade

Progress has to start somewhere. If there is an option to have a pro-level 3D card in a G5...you'll see more studios and schools buying Apples.

Ade
09-29-2003, 11:24 AM
I know I know but how many times have hardware makers left apple citing that they didnt sell enough units. I guess a great idea would be for Apple to push the cards themselves and offer them as BTO options and have choices of the cheapest version to the highest end one.
Just selling the card on its own I personally dont think will help much, these cards need apples hype like they did when Maya came to OSX. It needs apples 100% backing!

FUSION301
09-29-2003, 12:28 PM
Count me in. just emailed Steve letting him know this sounds very promising..G5 512mb wild cat card, 8 gb ram dual process. mmmmm we like that..
where do I get in line.

Triple G
09-29-2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by FUSION301
G5 512mb wild cat card, 8 gb ram dual process. mmmmm we like that..
where do I get in line.

Personally, I just want something that's faster and more reliable than my current Radeon 8500. I get display anomalies constantly (mostly in Modeler...disappearing/reappearing grids, etc.) I'm not going to spend $1000+ for a new card for my current machine, because it only supports AGP 2X and I wouldn't be able to fully utilize the card. I would, however, be willing to spend in the area of 4-500, say for something like a Wildcat VP 870 or 880...or even an Oxygen GVX420.

turbo
09-29-2003, 05:41 PM
Please.. i can't speak anymore.
I'm dyin here...
Like 5 crashes today... when am I ever going to be finished my krabbity characters for KW.

*Falls down and weeps...

Anything that will work, please anything...

SOB :( :( :( :( :(

Jimzip
09-29-2003, 08:11 PM
Oh. There there Turbo. You'll just have to wait for ATi to get going with that fix unfortunately. At least they're talking now...

And yeah. Ade I didn't look at the price on the site.. I was too engaged with ogling at the specs! :D
I'm sure once I've worked on a few Hollywood hits I could get one if they're really expensive. (The Radeon 9800 Pro had 128MB and was $896 a few months ago.. Now it's down to $600. So maybe by Christmas I could get one! :cool: I think not..)

Beamtracer
09-29-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Ade
are there really any PRO 3D mac users out there? Like studios that use macs for 3D?
I'd just like to verify what fx geek said, that professional 3D work is being done on the Mac all over the place. A lot of broadcast stuff.

Since the release of the G5, new Mac sales are around 7%, and the total user base is estimated to be double that, maybe 14-15%.

When 3D apps port the Mac, they get somewhere between a 25-55% Mac user base. That's a big enough user base to justify more graphics cards making the transition.

The G5 is increasing Apple's stronghold in this area, which explains why companies like 3Dlabs are rushing to it.

Johnny
09-30-2003, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by turbo
Please.. i can't speak anymore.
I'm dyin here...
Like 5 crashes today...Anything that will work, please anything...

is there any old cheap-o card out there which you can slap into your Mac just so that you can get your project out the door?

I say keep the heat on ATI, and keep feeding the Mac sites with reports of the problem(s) but you need to get your leg out of that bear trap and get your project done!

Even an inferior card, but one which doesn't crash Modeler, would be WAY better than the sitch you have now..

J

Chazz
09-30-2003, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by Johnny
is there any old cheap-o card out there which you can slap into your Mac just so that you can get your project out the door?

I say keep the heat on ATI, and keep feeding the Mac sites with reports of the problem(s) but you need to get your leg out of that bear trap and get your project done!

Even an inferior card, but one which doesn't crash Modeler, would be WAY better than the sitch you have now..

J

NVIDIA cards work quote nicely in all versions of OSX...I grabbed a 2MX off of eBay a while back for like $50...no complaints thus far.

mlinde
09-30-2003, 08:24 AM
Hey, Turbo, I'm in the process of recieving a GeForce 4 Ti. Which means I will have a GeForce MX Twinview sitting around collecting dust. PM me if you want to discuss it (I hate wasting good hardware).

turbo
09-30-2003, 10:30 AM
thx.
... I managed to snag an Apple Mac nVidia GeForce 4 MX AGP video card and its somewhere in the mail right now. Its only 32 megs tho and therefore a temporary solution... I will talk to you about your spare for sure.. :)

cpct0
11-27-2004, 07:05 PM
Thanks to MacSlash, I was redirected to this thread.

Well, I'd go for a Wildcat Realizm 800 if I had to choose. To give a real punch in the nuts for professional cards. Apple is supposed to be about professionalism and graphism, so for me, it would be the choice. Count me in for such a card. It would also be levels higher than a other Apple offerings.

However, I'm real sorry to say I think it would not be the best of ideas marketing-wise, unless Apple pitches in. I'd still stay in the Wildcat serie though, but maybe one level or two lower.

Thanks
Mike

Zarathustra
11-30-2004, 07:29 AM
Yes, pro work is being done on Mac. There are numerous production and post production companies out there. With products like FCP, DVDSP and the like, they all have Macs. Next is they want graphics.. then 3D graphics. So there are studios out there with LW, C4D and/or Maya installed on their Macs.

There are plenty of places that have Macs and are doing pro 3D work. I've been doing it for a long time now. I'd love a top end card, but it better work. I have the 6800 ultra and it's a headache (example (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=30874)). Flashing and blank screens in Layout, Modeler and in Modo as well.

If I'm going to give up a pci slot, it better be worth it. I'd shell out $$$ to be able to move fluidly through complex, high poly scenes. The time wasted waiting for the screen to update, moving something and then.......... it moves is crap.

Apple's at a point now where the machines are getting serious, the OS is serious and many 3D companies are recognizing that. So the top end cards should be available.

mattclary
11-30-2004, 08:23 AM
I wouldn't get too excited if I were y'all. Pro cards just don't speed LightWave up that much, at least not on a PC. My Wildcat VP 970 is gathering dust in a box while I use a GeforceFX 5900se in my machine. I get at LEAST (if not better) performance out of it as I did with the Wildcat.

LightWave just doesn't take full advantage of OpenGL.

Chazz
11-30-2004, 09:23 AM
Well, is there really even that much need for that kind of card on the Mac?

Years ago a gaming card came with 8 megs of RAM and took over the whole screen at 640x480 to play a game. A Quadro would come with 64 megs and allow you to run a hardware accelerated application in it's own window. There's quite a distinction there.

Now Quadros and 6800s have similar hardware specs and nobody seems to know exactly what benefits a Quadro can give you over a Geforce, other than drivers that are optimized for OpenGL applications moreso than DirectX games. Since we Mac users only use OpenGL...why would we need a workstation card? Wouldn't better drivers and applications suffice?

Maybe this is why Apple hasn't really announced anything in the workstation card arena...maybe there's not that much value.

Lightwolf
11-30-2004, 10:06 AM
As far as nVidia is concerned, the main difference are the drivers and with the newer chips there are subtle hardware differences as well (except for the obvious i/o ones).
The pro boards seem to be more optimized toward CAD apps with hardware accelerated aa'ed lines than anything else though.

Cheers,
Mike

Chazz
12-01-2004, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the info. That's pretty much what I've been told by everyone I've known that's used a workstation card. So if Apple or ATI were to write better drivers for their cards, do you think we'd need a high end board for Macs?

monovich
12-02-2004, 01:25 PM
I agree. Most PC LW users are using non-pro cards with great results. It's not the hardware that's the problem, it's the drivers. In a lot of ways it seems that games drive video card and driver development, and the mac isn't at the forefront of of that scene.

we need better drivers!

Zarathustra
12-02-2004, 01:40 PM
How ridiculous is it that the quality of my work environment is dependent upon Doom or Halo? :rolleyes:

DrCuervo
12-11-2004, 12:56 AM
Do you have a preference for which 3Dlabs product family you would like to see support the Apple G5?

Would they only support the G5? Kinda hope they write a driver for the G4 for those who can't get a G5...yet.

Beamtracer
12-11-2004, 03:37 PM
Wow, this is an old thread that keeps popping back up.

I used to think the graphics card thing was a big issue. I really rate it as a minor issue these days. I'm really happy with the G5 for 3D work, with the ATI-9800 card.

Even if 3D labs did come out with something I'm not sure if I'd purchase it.

Zarathustra

No Longer Banned

What! No longer banned? Congratulations Zarathustra. I'm glad that your penance has finished and you can roam the forums a free person again!

monovich
12-13-2004, 01:20 PM
How ridiculous is it that the quality of my work environment is dependent upon Doom or Halo? :rolleyes:

it's ridicuouls, but we all know that money talks...

*sigh*