PDA

View Full Version : Pb with fbx import

THIBAULT
01-19-2011, 11:31 AM
Hello everyone,

My problem: When I import a fbx, objects arrive staggered!

What can I do?

Thank you in advance.

skywalker113
01-19-2011, 01:40 PM
Have you tried importing a collada file?

If you can pay, Lightwave 10 is suppost to have improved fbx support. Download the demo and try importing a fbx file.

THIBAULT
01-19-2011, 01:55 PM
Thanks, but i've LW10 !

I try collada and FBX, doen't works !

I try DXF, 3DS, doesn't works !

This is handy when working in architecture! And in addition, the DWG is not

even part of the new version !

I'm really starting to have to head over to this app !

All that for that!

Thank you anyway!

RebelHill
01-19-2011, 02:39 PM
how do you mean... staggered??

Got pics, or an example file you can post?

rsfd
01-19-2011, 03:27 PM
I've got scattered .fbx mesh import in LW 9.6.1 and 10.
Same model works in 9.6 without issues.
Bug report filed months ago…
.3ds works ok in all 3 versions here

if you're on a Mac: there is an error in Modeler10 config file that prevents modeler from recognizing .3ds, .fbx and .dae files
fixing is easy: http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1100462&postcount=56

THIBAULT
01-19-2011, 09:59 PM
Thanks for your interest,

When I import to 3DS, it offers me the options of FBX and items arrive in all directions. When I import in FBX, objects also arrive in all directions.
Thanks

Sorry for my nervousness, but I'm very attached to LW.

rsfd
01-20-2011, 06:42 AM
Hello thibault,
yes - that is the exact same issue that I encounter with .fbx meshes.
I've also got the issue that - even when "import as separate layers" is activated, the mesh imports in only one layer.
Have this in 9.6.1 OB and LW10 both OSX and Win7 (via Bootcamp).
If you have a chance to get 9.6: it seems to works ok in that version for .3ds and .fbx.
It's the way that I use atm: open in 9.6, saving as .lwo and loading into 9.6.1/10
Filed as cases #34207 and #35739 with affected model.
We can only hope, that NT fixes this for the very next build.

And if you have time and enough enthusiasm to file a bug report, please do.
cheers

THIBAULT
01-20-2011, 08:04 AM
Thanks rsfd,

I put this thread in bug report.

I'm going to work with obj in waiting new release, it's possible for me because i work in architectural. But, it's too long !

Do you know why with OBJ, multi layer is'nt possible ? C4D, modo, 3ds, maya, load OBJ in multi layer but not LW !

Thanks

rsfd
01-20-2011, 09:11 AM
well, don't have an answer for that one…
NT worked on file import modules during OB and HC, some issues were fixed (they fixed an .obj issue that bothered me), but some were newly introduced.
Afair, .obj layers were mostly converted into LW-parts, so there would be a way to separate them again.
I would guess that every company has it's very own "flavour" of file formats, so interchange is a bit tricky.
But I agree that NT still needs to fix various importing issues and I noticed too, that modo and C4D does it better.

collada
01-20-2011, 04:02 PM
Thanks, but i've LW10 !

I try collada and FBX, doen't works !

How did you export in COLLADA?
Did you use opencollada plug-in or Autodesk built-in COLLADA?
http://opencollada.org/download.html

THIBAULT
01-21-2011, 01:24 AM
Hi Collada,

I work with Studio who export for me FBX, OBJ, 3DS, and collada. They works with 3DSMax 2011.

I've just install new LW version and it's same !

See jpg. It's import collada.

Thanks in advance

papou
01-21-2011, 10:10 AM
lol, well done nt.
i can't imagine talking about better import/export between apps and ... what's that?!

stiff paper
01-23-2011, 11:10 AM
Oooh... Now... I haven't seen anything like that for years...

Many, many, many years ago. Long aeons past. Before the Earth cooled. I used to work in games, and we wanted to model in 3DStudio and export/import into our game engine. Game engines back then were all different, all written in-house by each company. And it caused the programmers where I worked to weep, moan, gnash their teeth in fury and generally behave like programmers normally do. Because the objects used to come into our game engine rotated in random 90 degree increments around the origin. Just like what you have happening there.

It turned out that 3DS was such a pile of awful hacky code that the "up" axis on anything you built was defined in the model based on which viewport on the screen you'd first started to model it in!

Honestly. I'm being quite serious. I know that sounds absurd.

Anyway, their support couldn't help because, apparently, none of their programmers there actually knew any way of telling how "up" was oriented for any particular piece of geometry. Our programmers wrote something that solved it in the end.

I know this doesn't help, but it does look like that's what's going on. (It looks like maybe the older LW FBX import dealt with this problem and the newer one was written without knowing the problem existed. It is a ridiculous problem...)

stiff paper
01-23-2011, 11:57 AM
On the Autodesk site they've got something called the "FBX Converter" - Quoting their blurb: "Transfer project data from one application to another quickly and easily with the FBX Converter. This utility lets you convert OBJ, DXF™, and 3DS files to and from the FBX format." Link:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?siteID=123112&id=10775855

Also, at the bottom of that page, there's a link to: "Plug-in and Converter Archives"

In that section, under "FBX 2005.08 Plug-ins" there's an older FBX plugin for LW.

I don't know if either of those two things will help in any way, but maybe it's something to try?

THIBAULT
01-23-2011, 10:54 PM
Cardboard thank you very much,

I just tried the plug but no way to install it on LW10.
I think I will have to wait until early 2020 to have a hope that works import FBX or 3DS Import does not work like FBX or ... switched to another app that has its basic operational functions, so all other 3D applications market.
I'm tired of spending my time tinkering and lose money.

Finally, thank you very much for your help :thumbsup:

Franck

Greenlaw
01-23-2011, 11:31 PM
I just tried the plug but no way to install it on LW10.
Hi Franck ,

The old Autodesk FBX plug-in works with LW 10 32bit, not 64bit.

G.

THIBAULT
01-23-2011, 11:54 PM
OK, Thanks

I'm going to buy pentium 86 for works with LW.:D

Greenlaw
01-24-2011, 12:58 AM
OK, Thanks

I'm going to buy pentium 86 for works with LW.:D
BTW, you can install both x32 and x64 versions of Lightwave on the same x64 computer. I typically run x64 most of the time, but drop down to x32 if I need to use a x32-only plug-in (like the aforementioned Autodesk FBX plug-in.)

rsfd
01-24-2011, 05:16 AM
hey, we're not the only ones discussing import issues :D
have a look here: http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115972&highlight=Valkyrie
especially posting #21
LightWave Developer "Deep Purple" provides a new Valkyrie plugin that seems to take care of most issues…

THIBAULT
01-24-2011, 10:54 AM
OK !!

Always pb with FBX arrive in all axes but 3DS works fine !!

And i receive Lightwave teeshirt ! Trop beau !!

Thanks again

jrandom
01-29-2011, 09:44 PM
Maybe I'm brain-damaged but I can't figure out how to even start importing FBX into modeler. Am I missing something obvious?

I've managed to open the FBX file in layout, but no textures are applied.

Cageman
01-29-2011, 09:49 PM
Maybe I'm brain-damaged but I can't figure out how to even start importing FBX into modeler. Am I missing something obvious?

Load Object -> Select the FBX

jrandom
01-29-2011, 09:53 PM
Load Object -> Select the FBX

Modeler won't let me select the fbx file. It's grayed out.

Cageman
01-29-2011, 11:21 PM
Hmm... strange... it works here.

EDIT: I am using LW10 though... can't remember if that functionality was avaliable in LW9.x...

jrandom
01-30-2011, 12:49 AM
Yep, using v10 here as well.

rsfd
01-30-2011, 06:36 AM
you're on a Mac, man - so read posting #5 or go directly to:
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1100462&postcount=56

:D

jrandom
01-30-2011, 10:52 AM
you're on a Mac, man - so read posting #5 or go directly to:
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1100462&postcount=56

:D

Missed that! Thank you!

I'm still not getting textures and the orientation is upside down, but it's a start!

rsfd
01-30-2011, 12:49 PM
don't know what NT did to the Valkyrie plugin, but it's working better (for me) on the last Mac-OB build.
Did you notice that there's an updated Valkyrie plugin around (even for Mac)?
You might want to give this one a try (post #21):
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115972&highlight=Valkyrie

jrandom
01-30-2011, 12:56 PM
Yep, I've been using patch 2. I have these models in both FBX and 3DS format. FBX is upside down, no textures. 3DS has textures but a lot of pieces are moved out of place. Argh.