PDA

View Full Version : Help!Too much jaggies on perspective cam AA Vs classic cam!

prometheus
01-19-2011, 07:44 AM
Ivé been testing many many settings now for the perspective cam, but I can´t get past these nasty jaggies in the AA with perspective cam.

I tried upping the AA to 44 but no improvements on the edges, Ivé tried different filters from classic,mitchell,box..etc, I tried oversampling with
0.002.- to 0.03, 0.5 0.6
Adaptive sampling mostly on, with threshold 0.1 -0.03

the classic cam( classic high) gives clean edges, never mind the background noise in there, I usally set the classic cam to enhanced high or the enhanced extreme wich always gives good results.

The problem is that I need to use Perspective cam, since the classic cam fails to render vertex normal map smoothing, but the AA on the edges is just too bad.

The image attached shows the problem areas

Michael

ingo
01-19-2011, 07:55 AM
just render at a higher resolution. i only have aa problems in high contrast areas, but thats normal.

Danner
01-19-2011, 08:20 AM
what is really strange is that it looks fine in other parts.

prometheus
01-19-2011, 08:27 AM
just render at a higher resolution. i only have aa problems in high contrast areas, but thats normal.

Thanks ..well yeah I might try that, Im already rendering at 1200x1200, I rather skip rendering higher If I can solve it with better AA settings thou.

for most cases the images won´t even be more than 600 x600 in the end on the web, but we are also in the works to do catalogs, and Ive done some roll-ups at 1meter by 2 meters, so that demands more.

Strange thou that I can´t find a good setting in the perspective cam to match the highest classic cam settings.

Ivé been looking at the radiosity and AA guide over at the Except site, but
have not gotten much wiser, I guess I have to study it more.

Michael

ingo
01-19-2011, 08:51 AM
the odd thing is that the vertical elements have clean edges. but its always hard to get good aa in lower resolution pics. i normally use aa 6-8 classic fixed without oversampling or as.

prometheus
01-19-2011, 12:05 PM
the odd thing is that the vertical elements have clean edges. but its always hard to get good aa in lower resolution pics. i normally use aa 6-8 classic fixed without oversampling or as.

The odd thing is that I can get AA almost perfect with classic cam, but not with perspective cam.

And the odd thing Is that I can get perfect vertex map smoothing with perspective cam, but not with classic cam.

It´s enough if Newtek could fix one of these two issues, and the problem
would be solved, (crossing my fingers with reservation that I might not
have learned the AA system enough)

Michael

IRML
01-19-2011, 07:34 PM
is it not the reconstruction filter? would setting that to classic make it look like the classic cam

JonW
01-19-2011, 08:19 PM
If you are rendering at 1200 x 1200 AA8 or 2400 x 2400 AA2. It will take about the same time to render. When you scale the 2400 image back to 1200 the render will look better that if originally done at 1200 at the higher AA.

prometheus
01-20-2011, 12:37 AM
is it not the reconstruction filter? would setting that to classic make it look like the classic cam

Well, I believe Ivé tried that, I´ll check again, I think when using the classic filter You shouldn´t have adaptive sampling on, here´s an excerpt from the, except site...

"Reconstruction Filter:
This setting controls how the individual samples are added together to form the final pixel. This can have some influence on the look of the final image. Usually Box is the standard choice, but classic is a fine general purpose filter as well. Usually I choose Classic when the sampling pattern is also set to Classic and adaptive sampling is off, this results in a very nice Cone filter. If AS is used, then the sampling pattern must be something else than classic, and I usually choose Box.
Mitchell is a favorite among many, for the slightly edgy-er look, and Lanczos is very sharp, mostly suited for cel-shading. Gaussian is a soft filter. Each filter has a soft and sharp setting, which modifies the filter a bit to your choosing. There are other tutorials that go into great detail about this filter.

Choosing the right filter means having the right look for your image, but also might mean you can get away with less AA for your particular scene. Avoid using Classic when the Adaptive sampling system is on. They don't work well together. Use Box instead for almost the same look."

Thanks JonW, Ill see if the render times on larger renders will be fast enough.

Michael

ingo
01-20-2011, 03:53 AM
Hmm, i did a test here with aa8 classic fixed. if you want you can spot some jaggies in high contrast areas, but for my eyes its okay.

prometheus
01-20-2011, 05:45 AM
Hmm, i did a test here with aa8 classic fixed. if you want you can spot some jaggies in high contrast areas, but for my eyes its okay.

I did some more test with perspective cam classic filter fixed without adaptive sampling, aa 8 won´t cut it ..at least not for that resolution,maybe if I render higher and downsample otherwise I need at least aa15.

I noticed that I had the limit dynamic range checked, so I unchecked it and the edges became a little better, also gaussian HDR filtering will smooth it out
better, bilinear also but not as strong.

I´ll try and post compare pics later on.

Michael