PDA

View Full Version : proper way to duplicate shared UV map?

3dWannabe
01-18-2011, 04:58 PM
Using 9.6.

Apparently 3D-Coat doesn't like several layers to share a UV Map, so I'm trying to duplicate the UV maps that are shared, and have one for each layer.

For a left and right eye that shared a UV map, I was able to copy the UV map from the left eye in the Vertex Maps window to Eye_UV_Right, then create create a new surface for the right eye and link the right eye to the Eye_UV_Right in the surfaces window.

However, it seems like both eyes are still somehow linked to the Eye_UV_Left, as when I set one view to 'UV Texture' , a UV map only shows in that view if I have the Left_eye layer selected.

This seems like a simple task, so what obvious, stupid thing and am I doing wrong?

I'm including my object file.

nickdigital
01-18-2011, 05:10 PM
What you can do is go to your left eye uv, select only the left eye geometry and copy that UV map. Then delete the UV map that is being shared between both eyes. Then rename the copy back to what you want.

It should be fixed in the attached object.

3dWannabe
01-18-2011, 05:36 PM
Hmmm. I went into Statistics for polys and selected the Eye_Main_Left surface (the only one that should have used the UV map) and clicked the plus sign (to select only the geometry in the eye that used the uv map, as it's only used for the front of the eye, if that is what you meant).

Then in Vertex Maps, I selected the EYE_UV_Left and copied it to Eye_UV_left.

This ended up with a map of just some points (displayed in UV Texture view), not polys for some reason?

I then tried to copy the UV map without selecting anything, that seemed to copy the UV map, but when I followed your steps (or so I thought), I finally ended up with my left eye using the right uv map, and vica versa.

That kind of works, but I'm still confused as to why this is happening at all, or how to deal with this in the future?

I finally tried selecting the entire left eye instead of just the surface used by the uv map, followed the steps, and that didn't seem to have any effect, both my uv maps were still linked to the left eye.

I must be very bad at following instructions, as you were very clear. This issue of duplicating a uv map seems rather tricky?

Thanks!

nickdigital
01-18-2011, 05:59 PM
When I need to copy and isolate UVs I just copy what I want to a UV with a temp name. Once I'm done separating everything out then I go and rename my UV maps.

3dWannabe
01-18-2011, 06:48 PM
I've been trying that. If I copy eye_UV_Left to eye_UV_Left_1, and then delete eye_UV_Left, eye_UV_Left_1 is still linked to the object that used eye_UV_Left

If I change all eyes uv_Maps in the eye surfaces to 'none', and then copy the uv in the vertex maps twice and delete the original, and then set the uv map for each eye surface, I end up with something really weird, as it seems each uv map is linked to both eyes (at least that's what I assume when the left uv map shows up in the 'uv texture' view for both eyes, and if I change the uv map to the right map (in the bottom right 'T' drop down), it also shows up no matter which eye layer I have selected.

This cross-linkage issue seems to be creating a problem when I try to use the lwo in 3D-Coat and 'update islands' - it crashes it just as if there were a single uv map shared between both eyes ... or at least that's what I think may be happening?

I'd hoped there would be some way to un-link a uvmap in Lightwave, but ... it seems pretty sticky once it's set up? This sounds a bit like a bug, but you seem to not have this problem. Are you using 9.6 or a later version? I've got 10, but have been waiting for the dust to settle.

Thanks!

nickdigital
01-18-2011, 06:57 PM
I'm having a bit of trouble following what you're doing. Could be because the work day is almost over too. :)

This is how I would separate my UV maps using your eyeball example. You have a single eyeball that you've uv'ed with a map called Left_Eye. You mirrored the object so you now have a left and right eye that share the uv map Left_Eye.

If I wanted to make a separate UV map for each eye I would:

1. Select the Left_Eye UV map in the uv pull down.
2. Select just the left eye geometry and do a copy map and name it temp.
3. Now go back to the original Left_Eye uv map and select the right eye geometry.
4. Copy the uv map and name it Right_Eye.
5. Delete the original Left_Eye uv map.
6. Rename my temp uv map to Left_Eye.

3dWannabe
01-18-2011, 07:15 PM
It Worked!!!

Thanks so much for your detailed instructions!!