PDA

View Full Version : Screamernet and Xeon 'virtual' processors

Tom Wood
09-28-2003, 03:29 PM
Hi All,

I have a dual 2.4 Xeon PC. When I enabled hyperthreading in the WinXP BIOS, Task Manager now shows -four- CPU usage charts. Can I set up Screamernet to use one of those CPUs as the Host and the other three as Nodes?

Batch rendering on a single computer is mentioned on page 19.8 of the manual, and it specifically says it works best on multi-CPU machines, but it doesn't mention the 'virtual' processors that Xeons create when hyperthreading is enabled. Any tricks to doing this?

Thanks,

Tom

Tom Wood
09-28-2003, 03:31 PM
Task Manager shows this:

Aegis
09-29-2003, 03:21 AM
Best thing to do is give it a try :) Create four separate instances of the ScreamerNet node and do a test render. I suspect it won't work too well as the Hyper Threading technology is designed to improve multi-tasking rather than providing the full functionality of two separate CPUs - try it with two nodes and four and time the renders. Have the Task Manager running whilst you test this out so you can see the CPU % used - should be a fun test :D

iluvatar
09-29-2003, 07:31 AM
you should be able to assign a processor to a task (win 2k / xp)... assign each render node process to a CPU and check wether the virtual ones are coming along :)