PDA

View Full Version : An animation for viewing on a TV Samsung LED HDTV 3D

aperezg
01-18-2011, 03:15 PM
Hello.
Today I saw the new TV LED Samsung 3D HDTV

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs

Anyone know how I could make an animation with LW-10, and what kind of additional software I have to use, plus a Blu-ray player, to see the animation in these TVs, using the kind of glasses that they sell with these TVs.

I must to buy a Blu-ray burner or I can use the superdriver that came with the MacPro

I have a MacPro 3.1 OS 10.6.5.

Thanks

aperezg
01-19-2011, 12:28 PM
Well, apparently I have to buy a Blu-ray burner
:foreheads

And buy Final Cut Pro 7 I guess

CGI_Artist
01-27-2011, 01:10 AM
I'm really hoping to see some learned individual weigh in on this subject. I personally love being on the cusp of new media technologies. This issue of the shutter based 3D TV video has quite a bit of buzz. Mostly regarding the fact that there isn't a standard format and compression method yet.

3DGFXStudios
01-27-2011, 04:48 AM
These tv's have DLNA which means you can connect your computer directly to your network (also via wifi) You can stream video in HD1080 to it. You can play almost every file format except quicktime. Mkv and divx for example work great. I didn't buy the 3D version of the tv so I don't know how it handles 3D but I've to say it's amazing. So you don't need a blue ray player and burner. That's a bit 2001 ;)

VirtualFM
01-27-2011, 07:48 AM
These tv's have DLNA which means you can connect your computer directly to your network (also via wifi) You can stream video in HD1080 to it. You can play almost every file format except quicktime. Mkv and divx for example work great.

You are right as long as you are thinking "natively". If you use a DLNA Media Server like Wild Media Server (http://www.wildmediaserver.com) or Mezzmo (http://www.conceiva.com/products/mezzmo/default.asp) you have much more media available in your TV, as it transcodes everything (or most everything) into a format your TV "understands".

I love Mezzmo. Easy to use and setup and just works (I had several crashes with others I tried, and Wild Media Server I found it unnecessarily complicated). I am able to watch most AVI, DivX, XVid, MKV, MP4 and MPEG natively, but with Mezzmo I am able to watch WMV, FLV, MOV as well and manage everything.

This is just awesome... sometimes I just download a bunch of Demos (artist demos) and shorts from Vimeo/Youtube, some trailers, a couple game intros from Gametrailers, put everything into a shared DLNA folder and just go watch them in my big screen.

3DGFXStudios
01-27-2011, 08:28 AM
I got twonky running but it didn't check if it translates mov's like the Mezzmo does. But the features it got are already amazing.

vfxwizard
01-28-2011, 12:57 AM
You can avoid a lot of hassle using the built in media player if the LCDs behave the same way as the Samsung C7000 (plasma) I used.

Render each eye in its own sequence, then compose them side by side into an HD frame, scaling each view by 50% horizontally. Compress into an h264 file and use an usb drive to play it back on the tv.

Just selecting 3D mode and then Side by Side mode produces an amazing stereo image.

There's a bit of dithering performed by the display to increase stereo separation, so try to avoid pure primary colors as much as possible. Especially dark scenes with patches of blue or red.

Hope this helps!

Dave Jerrard
01-28-2011, 04:48 PM
I have one of their plasma 3D TVs, and have done the following, and I assume your TV will be able to do the same.

Make your animation with the left eye view on the left and the right eye view on the right. The animation will be double width, but the TV can only play up to maximum of 1920x1080, so you'll need to scale the animation to 1920x540. Save this out as a WMV or a H.264 Quicktime. Yes, Quicktime, but rename the file to .mp4, as .mov will not show up.

Save this to a USB thumb-drive, or a low power (or externally powered) portable drive, and then plug this into the TV's USB port.

Go to Media play (this might pop up on the screen when you plug the drive in), and go to the movie section, and look for the animation. When you play it, hit pause, and then press the 3D button on the remote. This will bring up a menu of different 3D options - 2D-3D, side-by-side, and top-bottom...
Select the side-by-side option. This will combine the left & right sides of the animation into a stereoscopic image that will work with the glasses.

Note that you can also do a top & bottom method as well, in which case, you'd make a 960x1080 animation with the left eye image above the right eye image.

Note that you don't need to buy a BD player or any special software. Any current compositing package can be used to join the two views for this method. It can even be done in LightWave by mapping the two sequences side by side.

He Who Will Probably Be Doing More Of These Soon.