PDA

View Full Version : Cloth FX over time

L0ckz0r
01-17-2011, 09:44 PM
This is actually 2 questions:

1) I have a net with added cloth FX in which a soccerball hits. However the longer into the animation, the less springy and stretchy the net it. So at frame 10 when the ball collides, it looks really good. It looks less natural at frame 100, and at frame 300 (which is when I actually want it to happen) the net barely moves at all.

What is the cause of this?

2) Once that is sorted I do want the next to look good. However there seems to be a tradeoff between saggyness and a stretch. I.e If I want the net to maintain it's shape, then I lose a lot of the stretch and spring when the ball hits (no matter how high those variables are)

But If I reduce the hold structure, the collision is better but the net sags unnaturally. Is there a way I can get the best of both worlds?

Thankyou very much, I can provide more info if needed.

hdace
01-18-2011, 09:16 PM
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94271

Check out this thread. It was about hair, but it has loads of good advice about cloth fx. I find whenever I use dynamics it takes days of experimentation before I even get close to something that looks right.

Also might want to send a private message to greenlaw, he really knows his stuff.

hdace
01-18-2011, 09:20 PM
Here's a trick: make two separate instances of the net with two different coth fx settings. In object properties, render tab, give both instances a dissolve envelope, and make them swap out at the point where the first one is about to start looking crap and the second one is starting to look good. The only problem with this is the frame mismatch at the swapping point. However, if the animation is chaotic enough you might not notice the swap point. Not a great idea, but this has worked for me before.

hdace
01-18-2011, 09:22 PM
about the sag problem, have you tried reducing the gravity?

Dodgy
01-18-2011, 10:48 PM
Do you have a scene I can have a look at?