PDA

View Full Version : "LightKeys" for Lightwave Released

MaDDoX
01-17-2011, 11:58 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_rhqpXNspmgU/TTRedthNh8I/AAAAAAAAALA/6cOd49hP7Y0/s320/sshot-1.jpg

Hi everyone, I'm proud to publicly release the free "LightKeys", an enhanced Navigation and Shortcuts System for Lightwave 3D. LightKeys was born out of the need of having similar navigation and item manipulation shortcuts across different 3D applications. As more and more 3D packages and applications adopt the Maya Standard for viewport navigation (Alt+MMB = Pan, Alt+RMB = Zoom), having to switch your mindset to the Lightwave style (Shift+Alt+LMB = Pan, Ctrl+Alt+LMB = Zoom) became a huge hassle for anyone using any other 3D application.

LightKeys bridge exactly that gap, providing Maya-standard navigation shortcuts for Lightwave through a small utility that runs in the background. Besides, LightKeys also provides a production-proven shortcuts configuration set with highly increased ergonomics. Basically all the main Lightwave Layout features are accessible from the left side of the keyboard, making the software's operation much more speedy and comfortable.

I've put up a tutorial video to show how to install, configure and utilize it, if you're in doubt if this is for you or not skip to the final 3-4 minutes of the video, where I demonstrate how I use it in production. Apologies in advance for the accent, pronunciation and grammar mistakes, here in Brazil English is anything but a native language! :)

Find the download and youtube video links at my blog:
http://themaddoxcorner.blogspot.com

I hope you enjoy it, comments and bug reports welcome as usual. Soon I'll be making a version for Lightwave Modeler and add enhancements to the Layout version as well.

cresshead
01-17-2011, 12:23 PM
excellent!...this type of thing should be standard in all 3d apps..xsi has re mapping so does blender.

would like to see a 3dsmax variant maybe also which uses just the middle mouse button for viewport nav along with the alt key [yeh i'm a max and lightwave user!]

MAUROCOR
01-17-2011, 12:49 PM
Happy Birthday, Breno!!! :bday: Feliz Aniversário pra você!:boogiedow

OnlineRender
01-17-2011, 12:58 PM
looks good , mind if I add this to the 3Djunkies.net LW database ?

cresshead
01-17-2011, 12:59 PM
do you have any plans to expand on this excellent utility to open it up for softimage, houdini, 3dsmax?

could help alot of artists who might just jump toward lightwave for rendering if the basic shortcuts could be the same as their main 3dapp.

OnlineRender
01-17-2011, 01:07 PM
ps Happy Birthday !

MaDDoX
01-17-2011, 02:00 PM
Happy Birthday, Breno!!! Feliz Aniversário pra você!
[pt-br]Valeu! hehe[/pt-br]
Thanks guys, hope you enjoy the gift. I really wanted to give back some love to the warmest 3D-app community on earth! (no flames allowed this time, it simply is! lol) ^_^

mind if I add this to the 3Djunkies.net LW database ?
Please do it, my honor!

do you have any plans to expand on this excellent utility to open it up for softimage, houdini, 3dsmax?
Sure, that's the idea, to bridge the gaps and ease the learning curves for people that uses other apps. I might need some detailed description about how each software navigation operates though, since I don't use all of them currently so memory fails me (and I've never used Houdini). Alternate configurations are possible too as long as they make sense and may help someone, for instance, I recall an old SoftImage configuration that was quite interesting, with Left, Middle and Right mouse buttons working for the different X, Y and Z. Last time I've checked it was still available in XSI/SI but unfortunately it broke many other shortcuts when I tested it, rendering it unpractical.

Point being: bring your suggestions on :)

zarti
01-17-2011, 02:56 PM
houdini :

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini9.5/start/hotkeys

( there are different contexts in the menu )

since for navigation Ho mostly uses [ spacebar ] , wdnt there be any 'offending' conflict with Lw , since this last blindly uses it to change manipulation genres ?

@least curious to know if this is possible ...

p.s. nice job . you are breaking an invisible wall in Lw , since officially there isn't a distributed setup ... =)

MaDDoX
01-17-2011, 03:21 PM
100% possible. I've actually done a similar setup for the C&C series, worked great. Actually with lightkeys as it is I rather use W, E, R instead of spacebar to switch transformation tools, so spacebar as a modifier would suit me as well.

GraphXs
01-17-2011, 05:25 PM
Nice, can I just use it for Maya style nav. I already have a hybird MaxMaya KBS and tabs for the Max/Maya artist. The Maya style nav was the missing part of the puzzle. When is the modeler one going to be ready? Thanks! I wish Newtek just added the nav to the shortcuts. Looks like you are doing something on the outside of LW to take over the nav shortcuts.

Caveboy
01-17-2011, 06:00 PM
Please? :)

MaDDoX
01-17-2011, 08:26 PM
Nice, can I just use it for Maya style nav. I already have a hybird MaxMaya KBS and tabs for the Max/Maya artist. The Maya style nav was the missing part of the puzzle. When is the modeler one going to be ready? Thanks! I wish Newtek just added the nav to the shortcuts. Looks like you are doing something on the outside of LW to take over the nav shortcuts.
Sure, just run the external app (lightkeys.exe) and don't import the .cfg file. As for the modeler one I hope to get it out in a week or so, just 'coz I want to pack my full config - which I've used for years in our studio - and that will require some revision. If you're in a hurry for just the nav shortcuts I can cook something up for you real quick (no options, etc). As for a Mac version, no promises, but I will check it out.

GraphXs
01-17-2011, 09:16 PM
A week is fine, looking forward to it. We use a plugin for Max that changes the nav like maya called switcher. Having a LW one will be great! Wonderful work!

IMI
01-17-2011, 09:39 PM
Oh this is cool! All I can say is it's about time someone did this! :thumbsup:
(Have to say I think Newtek should have done it with LW 10, but then again I'm not surprised they didn't, either. ;))

Does this work with LW 9.6?

@cresshead:
Digital Raster makes the Max Switcher plugin that does what you're asking. It's not free but there's a working demo on their site.
They also have a ZSwitcher for ZBrush, which is awesome. :thumbsup:

prometheus
01-18-2011, 05:43 AM
Juste awesome, but initial questions comes to my mind wich could be described on the blog or in the video directly to avoid further questions in the future, mainly..

1. I want to Use navigation only and keep my own shortcuts, well I found that answer in a quote here.

2. Does it work with Lightwave 9.6?

This is a nice addition to the UI color interface changer plugin, Now
I only need a plugin handler where I can arrange my plugins as I wish in the utilities/additional plugin list so I don´t have to scroll that damn list to the bottom and up again to find my stuff.

I could be happy to see a UI with docking abilities for every tab that is opened and an option to autoplace them at the top of the interface instead of getting placed on top of the keyframe and object,light,camera panels, sure I can tab to hide them, but It would be better to dock them at desired places, and a snap to other panels, ala illustrator.

Michael

Lewis
01-18-2011, 05:55 AM
very nice stuff MaDDox, i know some users will be very happy with this 'coz of their mixed pipeline(s) :).

cheers

prometheus
01-18-2011, 06:19 AM
It seems to be working with Lightwave 9.6 win 32, I haven´t tested on 64 bit yet.

However..I thought it was ment to work with modeler too? or am I missing
something?

Michael

MaDDoX
01-18-2011, 08:25 AM
Juste awesome, but initial questions comes to my mind wich could be described on the blog or in the video directly to avoid further questions in the future, mainly..

1. I want to Use navigation only and keep my own shortcuts, well I found that answer in a quote here.

2. Does it work with Lightwave 9.6?
Thanks prometheus. I'll remember to add #1 to a "FAQ" section of the readme in next release. By the way, the "Maya focus" function is tied to the "F" key right now, I'll probably have to add an entry to the .ini so you can change it to another key, to fit different user shortcuts. BTW, the only reason why I didn't comment about if it worked in 9.6 or not is because I hadn't tested it :) After one week working hard on this I really wanted to get it out of my system, so I could get this kind of constructive feedback as soon as possible.

I could be happy to see a (...) an option to autoplace them at the top of the interface instead of getting placed on top of the keyframe and object,light,camera panels
I'm quite sure I've stumbled upon a new Lightwave built-in plugin that does just that, pre-defining the coordinates where each window will show up. I guess it's named Window manager or something similar.

I thought it was ment to work with modeler too? or am I missing something?
I've mentioned in the readme.txt that it's currently layout-only. Modeler version under works.

prometheus
01-18-2011, 08:29 AM
Great Maddox:thumbsup:

I was shimming through the read me, and missed the statement about modeler.

thanks for the tip about window manager, I´ll look in to that.

Michael

GraphXs
01-25-2011, 11:04 PM
Any news on the modeler version yet?

MaDDoX
01-26-2011, 07:35 AM
Any news on the modeler version yet?
Sure, I got it working this weekend for both Layout and Modeler using the same application. Right now I'm beta-testing it and finishing the custom key remapping, I'm having some problems keeping the key remappings for custom plugins so I might just have the plugin/custom lscripts I use as a separate download. I'm considering adding an option to LightKeys that, when you double click some element inside Modeler, it selects all connected - just like in Modo. Another option is having Shift+TAB (by default un-mappable) work as a toggle between Layout and Modeler.

What do you guys think? Useful, not, any other suggestions?

MaDDoX
08-27-2012, 10:28 AM
Hey guys, Lightkeys version 0.98 is up, with full support to Modeler - the link was updated in the same blogpost you can find the link for at the first page. Modeler config is still WIP, but at least navigation works fine. Master Lightwave artist Luís Santos uses it regularly (which's an honor to me), and reported that it's working fine with Lightwave 11. If you find any problems, please report.

Enjoy! :)

djwaterman
08-28-2012, 03:57 AM
Man, thanks, I am eager to try this out.

metahumanity
09-02-2012, 07:37 AM
I´d love to have something like that to change ZBrush´s navigation to something more similar to LW.

MaDDoX
09-02-2012, 02:19 PM
I´d love to have something like that to change ZBrush´s navigation to something more similar to LW.
Due to ZBrush's nature (dragging on top of objects is different from dragging on background, etc) you have to actually code in a zBrush plugin to do it. There's one available from dRaster to change it to Maya shortcuts: http://www.cgchannel.com/2010/12/zswitcher-use-maya-keyboard-shortcuts-inside-zbrush/

Silkrooster
09-03-2012, 11:25 PM
[yeh i'm a max and lightwave user!]

You make it sound like that's a bad thing. Always be proud of your decisions.