PDA

View Full Version : lightwave in apple mac pro

lreyes
01-17-2011, 08:24 AM
Is it easy to run Lightwave 9.6 in an Apple Mac Pro without any difficulties? I am also running zbrush in my windows computer and would like to use both in apple.

Nigel Baker
01-17-2011, 01:32 PM
Hello lreyes,

It is the same and runs the same way.
Unless there are any plug-ins which you have that are PC only there should not be a problem.

Enjoy.

Regards,
Nigel

alesxander
01-17-2011, 01:57 PM
i agree with Nigel

i have one Mac Pro runing LW, ZBrush and others apps and it's the same thing that use them in a machine with windows. i only use my mac, and i don't miss windows at all :)

alesxander
http://alesxander.com

borkus
01-17-2011, 09:01 PM
Becoming versed in both OS's has given me a new perspective. I hated Apple when I first started using it, but it grew on my eventually. Now I can really see the pros and cons of both. The main disadvantage that has already been mentioned is the lack of plugins. But if you are familiar with OSX, you should have no problem using Lightwave in either environment. I have used Lightwave in both environments and found little confusion. Outside of the fact that I came from windows initially and had to remember how to do things in the "mac" way in some situations. I do believe that there were some issues with the Universal release from reading some forum entries though though and you may want to research those before hand. I haven't got to push the Univeral release very hard due to recent academic responsibilities.

lreyes
01-18-2011, 02:20 AM
So what everyone is saying is that if I have some plugins from other 3rd party places, that the mac will not be able to use them, but lets say that the plug ins that come with LW in the software files, they will work...please help as I am need more RAM..I do not like the way Dell is making the chasis, they look really cheap looking, I am talking about the new ones. I am using Windows XP with Dell, but this model only goes up to 4 gigs of ram...I like XP and this model is build better than newer ones are.

Nigel Baker
01-18-2011, 02:46 AM
Hello lreyes,

In general most plug-ins work so I would not be too concerned about that. I think you can say confidently that Lightwave is the same on both Mac and your Dell. Just recently I bought a new iMac i7 27" and am using Lightwave 10 on it. Finding it most enjoyable especially with the screen real-estate and have but 16 gigs of RAM in it. Although it is not as good as my 8Core G5 Mac but the price tag is massively different.

There is another thread around about plug-ins on Lightwave 10 if you want to look that one up also.

Regards,
Nigel

lreyes
01-18-2011, 03:18 AM
Hello Nigel. I am looking at the Mac Pro snow leopard with 6 gb of RAM a Westmere type. Tell me about the Imac, is that a lap top or a desk top? and about how much would a imac i7 27" run if that is not too personal..you can give me a ball part figure?

Nigel Baker
01-18-2011, 04:32 AM
Hello lreyes,

The iMac is a home machine, here is a link to the apple store US.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/imac?mco=MTcyMTgwNTQ

You can spec it up to what way you would like to have it.
I spent about €3,000 on mine but bought my RAM from crucial. Apple RAM is much more pricey but better :) The standard iMac 27" comes with the i5 Intel duo core chip so you have to spend some extra if you want the i7 chip set.

I have only had it for a short while but am enjoying it. There is also the issue about the screen and the glossy glass compared to the matt screen, by the way the iMac is all in one machine with only one plug for the whole thing, otherwise the machine is a wireless dream. The screen is massive so to big for word documents but really great for Lightwave.

If you have a sunny room the glossy screen is a killer but very seductive looking and the blacks are really black on it.

It does heat up really hot but it states that in the manual.
Check out the Apple store and see what you think.

It is not a G5 by any measure but then it is half the price for me, the way I shop and this year I could not afford a new G5 and a new Monitor (G5 machines do not come with monitors).

Regards,
Nigel

Nigel Baker
01-18-2011, 04:40 AM
Looks like there is someone else asking:
See the last posting by G-Man on page one.

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115016

Regards,
Nigel

MentalFish
01-18-2011, 05:19 AM
I just configured a 12 core Dell to similar specs as the default 12 core Mac Pro and it came to 5000$ as well.

Yes, extra RAM and HD space is expensive from Apple, but why buy it from them if you don't have to? Buy more RAM from these instead: http://transintl.com/macupgrades/index.cfm

The only gripe I have with using a Mac is the lack of choice in graphics cards.

lasco
05-21-2011, 10:09 AM
Hello there,
Coming late on this thread…

Mentalfish, I just read your post and it's quite rare to find people working on 12-core Macs…

I'm planing to buy a new Mac config (currently use only a MacBook Pro & an old PC station) and went this afternoon to a resseler. I had the idea to hit the max, say a 12-core, but the seller told me to care about optimization. He did'nt know about the specific case of Lightwave but said that many softs could not be optimized for the "by 3" procs architecture (of 12-core machines) but only for "by 2" ones.
He concluded it may be possible that 12-core does not run really faster than 8-core… while there's a serious difference of price.

What do you think about this ?
Does Lightwave really runs faster (mean for rendering) on 12-core than 8-core or not ?
+ Does this depend on the version ? I run LW 9.6. Will upgrading to LW 10 change something about rendering speed ?

thx by advance

dablan
05-24-2011, 09:03 AM
Been running LW on a MacPro for a while now. Works flawlessly - and fast!

littlewaves
05-24-2011, 09:26 AM
No 64bit version for Mac

Also while I certainly don't doubt that Dan Ablan has made excellent use of Lightwave on the Mac I beg to differ that it "works flawlessly"

dablan
05-24-2011, 09:29 AM
Yeah, flawlessly might be the wrong word :) I was thinking about the old LW8 Mac version in comparison. That was horrible.

But, LW10 runs great on both Mac and PC, and I've yet to see any advantage or disadvantage with one or the other - except for some third party plug-ins.

I've crashed every software I own - even photoshop. :)

dwburman
05-24-2011, 12:32 PM
LW10 and 9.6.1(open beta) is 64bit on the Mac.

I had some serious stability problems on the Mac with 9.6, but that very well could have been due to the ATI x1900xt graphics card that was dying a slow death at the time. If you HAVE to, you can dual boot with Windows on a Mac, so you can use the Windows version if you get stuck.

YaGfXg33k
05-24-2011, 01:39 PM
I have been running LW on my mac for quite a while now. The only thing I gave up was fPrime. With VPR now, I do not really have much of a need for fPrime.

Works great though! No regrets!

dysamoria
05-24-2011, 05:59 PM
I've lots of regrets, but not the Mac's fault. I've had trouble with several things in LW 9 series on Mac (as well as several other 3D products on Mac; it's a developer issue because they view, accurately or not, that there are less Mac users). I've read other people with similar complaints with Lightwave (& others) on Mac. the platform is enjoying growth, so it's in developers' interest to improve Mac support.

regarding plug ins, MANY plugs are available on both systems. if it's an LScript, that's cross platform by nature too. I've only missed out on a few binary plug-ins not ported to Mac and in several cases those were eventually made redundant by other developers or NewTek.

edit: they function the same on both platforms with some GUI glitches on the Mac (mostly with floating palettes/windows & general window management, & sloppy setup of Mac keyboard for commands, like Delete). no 64-bit unless you're in the open beta for 9.6.1 or plan on using v10.

Glimley
07-04-2011, 07:36 AM
I´ve been using Lightwave on Mac since v8, back then it was a messy experience real sluggish and compared to running on a PC witch felt like a dream. Layout on the otherhand was always ok on mac, so my solution for a while was to have both Mac and PC with a keyborad-mouse-display splitter and a joint server. Model in PC and render in Mac, but now I only return to a PC if there are some special plug-in that I really need.
Lightwave 9.6.1 is a smoth ride under Mac os x Snow Leopard but as someone said the choice of graphics cards are limited. And I really would like to have the choice of having a Nvidia FX card in my now old Mac Pro.

greg.reyna
08-13-2011, 01:09 PM
FPrime doesn't work on the MacPro--too many cores, FPrime can only handle two. I'm chasing down various troubles because of this, since mistakenly running FPrime made a mess of the scene. I moved the scene over to the 64-bit version of 9.6.1 , but now IFW2 v10 textures won't load. My next project is figuring out why that's happening. The IFW2 plugins work fine in LW 10.

LW 10.1 works like a dream on this machine, especially after moving up from a 1.42 GHz PPC box. Running 9.6 without FPrime is not my idea of a good time.

--but the good news is that you can run a second monitor when running 9.6.1, unlike 9.6 where LW windows are wiped clean of content by moving them over to the second screen.

Greg
---
8-core Mac Pro [2010 Westmere]; OS 10.6.8, Lightwave 9.6; 9.6.1 (build
1555 64-bit); 10.1 (64-bit)

shadersrjj
08-13-2011, 01:26 PM
You need the lastest IFW2 Textures which includes the 64bit mac versions. Contact me at [email protected] for details.

RJJ

greg.reyna
08-14-2011, 07:30 PM
Thanks rjj, I ran some tests yesterday and discovered that the IFW2 64-bit shaders work fine with 9.6.1, I've been using them with LW 10 with no problems outside of my own incompetence..

The problem scene seems to have been somehow damaged by running FPrime on this machine with LW 9.6. The scene wouldn't open fully, it would hang and I'd have to Force Quit. In 9.6.1 the scene opens, but Maestro2 is having trouble 'finding itself', its picker's background jpeg won't display, and four of IFW2's plug-ins 'failed to start'.

I'm getting this error in red in the area under the timeline:

"Line 11569, Invalid argument 1 value to method getKeyTime()"

The scene, and everything else loaded fine in 9.6 until I ran FPrime. Writing this is making me realize that one thing I haven't tried is reinstalling LW 9.6. That version is 32-bit only on the Mac. Just recently, opening this scene in 9.6.1 was my first use of its 64-bit Mac incarnation. I tried briefly to open it in v10, but Maestro won't work in v10 unless or until Newtek changes some Viewport code, so that experiment was cut short.

Thanks,
Greg
---
8-core Mac Pro [2010 Westmere]; OS 10.6.8, Lightwave 9.6; 9.6.1 (build
1555 64-bit); 10.1 (64-bit)