PDA

View Full Version : cubic image mapping, is there a way to choose the mapping axis?

ArtGoblin
01-16-2011, 02:19 PM
I don't know why I don't know this after all these years of using LW, but I'm trying to figure out how to properly rotate a cubic mapped image on a box shaped object. In my exsample I'm mapping a woodplank tileable texture onto a box-shaped object, when I start tweaking the rotation on the cubic mapping, it just fracks the mapping up, in a way that makes no sense to me. Is there a way to rotate the cubic mapping properly or even select different axis for the projection? I feel this should be possible to do within the image node, without having to resort to UVmapping the damn thing or splitting up the box object and have a couple of different planar maps... or is that the only solution?

JeffrySG
01-16-2011, 03:52 PM
I was just about to suggest just creating a UV map for the sides and then I read that you'd rather not have to do that. I have found that in the end it just save me more time to just make the uv map as it saves me from having any issues down the road, unfortunately.

ArtGoblin
01-16-2011, 04:56 PM
yeah... that's what I've been doing all these years... but it just feels like an unnessisary workaround in some situations

Silkrooster
01-16-2011, 11:04 PM
I don't know why I don't know this after all these years of using LW, but I'm trying to figure out how to properly rotate a cubic mapped image on a box shaped object. In my exsample I'm mapping a woodplank tileable texture onto a box-shaped object, when I start tweaking the rotation on the cubic mapping, it just fracks the mapping up, in a way that makes no sense to me. Is there a way to rotate the cubic mapping properly or even select different axis for the projection? I feel this should be possible to do within the image node, without having to resort to UVmapping the damn thing or splitting up the box object and have a couple of different planar maps... or is that the only solution?

I think the fastest way is with a couple of planar maps.

ArtGoblin
01-16-2011, 11:44 PM
yeah, but again, I'd like to be able to skip those extra steps of matching the planar maps together at the seams

Skywatcher_NT
01-17-2011, 07:12 AM
Use a reference object :thumbsup:

ArtGoblin
01-17-2011, 08:12 AM
allready tried that... doesn't work as expected... or in a way it works just as expected... no differently than tweaking the rotation values manually... I was kind of hoping that some nifty node setup would be the solution, but maybe I'm just wishing for rainbows

ingo
01-17-2011, 09:45 AM
Just use an ImageEditor to make a copy of your imagemap and than rotate that 90 degrees. Most of my wood maps have a horizontal and a vertical version.

Would be nice if this works in LWs imageeditor, but there is no rotation or mirror available.