PDA

View Full Version : questions concerning 5.6 lws

friedegg
01-16-2011, 10:26 AM
Hi all, I'm hoping that the community here will provide some guidance.

Without going into detail, I have backgrounds I created in 5.6, and I want to render out a scene with three (possibly more) new camera angles. That's it, nothing more. None of the other 3D programs I have available to me will open up a lws, they will open the lwo objects, but the scene is fairly complicated and to replicate the scene to match the other rendered backgrounds that I'm using would be astronomical (and yes, I am reusing 10+ year old backgrounds).

1. Is it possible to run version 5.6 on my Windows 7 (64 bit) system?

2. If it is possible to run 5.6 on my system, will Newtek exchange my dongle for a usb version? The software is pretty old, is there a expiration date for exchanges?

3. Is there an usb adapter available for the parellel port 25 pin dongle? I did a little research, it seems as if the common printer usb to 25 pin adapters that I am finding everywhere are only for printers, they will not work on other hardware. Are there drivers available from sentinel for the parallel dongle that will allow it to work?

If the above is not possible, another set of questions.

1. If I download the 30 day evaluation of Lightwave will my 5.6 lws file open in 10?

2. The free download of 10 mentions something concerning a 'Discovery Edition', what are the major restraints?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions and help.

silviotoledo
01-16-2011, 10:44 AM
you may try to post your scene file here ( without any objects, and lightwave will use nulls ) and someone can convert it for you.

i guess there's some users wich still use Lightwave 6, 7 or 8.5

friedegg
01-16-2011, 12:43 PM
Are you confirming that 5.6 will not open in 10?

nickdigital
01-16-2011, 12:50 PM
1. Is it possible to run version 5.6 on my Windows 7 (64 bit) system?

Have you tried installing it? I would assume it would.

2. If it is possible to run 5.6 on my system, will Newtek exchange my dongle for a usb version? The software is pretty old, is there a expiration date for exchanges?

Yes, but there is a modest fee to swap the dongle.

1. If I download the 30 day evaluation of Lightwave will my 5.6 lws file open in 10?

I would think it would open but some things may be broken as much has changed since 5.6.

2. The free download of 10 mentions something concerning a 'Discovery Edition', what are the major restraints?

There's a point limit on objects that you can save and there is a watermark on renders I believe.

friedegg
01-16-2011, 02:07 PM
Thank you for your response.

Have you tried installing it?

Past expereince has not been successful when loading outdated software on an upgraded system. I wanted to find out if anyone knew if it was possible. I was a little concerned with the 64 bit system I'm currently running. I am also under the impression I would not be able to run the software without it seeing the dongle. If I was positive 5.6 would work, I would not have a problem getting an updated dongle.

The only other resort would be downloading 10, but, as you pointed out, there is quite a difference between the two.

nickdigital
01-16-2011, 06:36 PM
You could try installing it but you're right about needing the dongle to fully use it. It's possible that it'll install and then open up in Demo mode. If that's the case then you know you just need to update your dongle.

It's possible that using a serial to usb adapter will work but if you're going to spend the money on something I would just put it towards swapping to a usb dongle.

Do you think there's something very specific about your scene that would not translate to a newer version of LW? If it's just lights and positional information you might be ok. I know that the IK system definitely changed between 9.3.1 and 9.6 so I'm sure it would definitely be different in 5.6 vs 10.

wrench
01-17-2011, 06:46 AM
LightWave 10 has a trial mode for 30 days for which the *only* limitations are that it won't render on Screamernet and it won't deal with commercial plugins for the same reason - the lack of a dongle. Here in Europe, if you buy an upgrade and swap the dongle at the same time it's a free swap, if you do it another time you have to pay for the dongle swap. The only difficulty with a new dongle is that it will not have the same Lock ID meaning that any commercial plugins you have tied to the old parallel dongle will need to be re-associated with the new USB dongle, which plugin vendors are happy to do in my experience. Of course, given that we are talking about software that is around 13 years old I would be surprised if any of your commercial plugin still worked, but then most of them have been made redundant by advances in LightWave anyway.

B

silviotoledo
01-17-2011, 08:34 AM
I'm not sure 9.0 to 10.0 will open 5.6 scene files, but once Lws is still a TXT file ( yeah, you just need to open on notepad ), I'm sure there's several ways to recover scenes.

I don't have 5.6 anymore. So if you wanna try, post here your scene file with no objects ( and LW will replace with nulls same name ) and I will try to convert. So, when you open at your computer it will replace the objects and scene will work.

Actually I own 9.0 to 10.0, but if you plan to use the 30 days trial it will be limited to geometry and rendering will show a kind of Newtek logo over, I guess.

silviotoledo
01-17-2011, 08:34 AM
wrench

No more Logos over the images?

friedegg
01-17-2011, 08:36 AM
Thanks for the responses.

I tried to install 5.6, but I get an error that there is no dongle attached and the install cancels.

I know that there is no IK in the scene, just a stactic background, but I can't remember if I used any 3rd party plugin. I checked my notes for the scene (I keep a diary) and it doesn't mention any.

I think I'm going to take a chance and exchange the dongle. If 5.6 doesn't work then, I'll download 10. If that doesn't work, well, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Thanks for the guidance.

I'll come back and let you know the outcome. If I have to download 10, I might be back for help with that.

wrench
01-17-2011, 08:37 AM
When in trial mode, LightWave operates just like a full licence, you get a watermark and the inability to save scenes, or models with over 400 points per layer, when you exceed that time limit and go into "Discovery mode".

B

friedegg
01-17-2011, 08:43 AM
silviotoledo- thanks! I might take you up on the offer if I can't get 5.6 to run.

Just a side note: I had a few old workstations sitting in the basement. Last month, I tore them apart, destroyed the harddrives and set them out in the trash. Two of them had 5.6 installed.