PDA

View Full Version : Second step

Shloime
09-28-2003, 11:48 AM
Hello again,

here is another one, and the last one for now, so no more new threads from me for now.

I know that the lighting is awful, but it was more of a surface test.

Feel free to comment.

Thanks,

http://www.thomas-mil.de/pics/dvdremote.jpg

SLAYER
09-28-2003, 12:47 PM
Very nice.
How do ou do the surfacing of the text? Did you do this in a paint program and apply it? How do you apply it?
I feel that I have got a good grasp now on modeling, but I cannot figure out "decals" like what you got.

Shloime
09-28-2003, 12:55 PM

OK, here we go:
I rendered the top of the remote as pure black and white, as a template, then used corel-draw to create a bitmap with all the labels in pure black and white. Export it with a reasonable dpi-setting, and it should fit with an "automatic sizing".
Then just use several copies of it, some of them inverted, as colourmap, spec-map, and a slight bump-map for that "printed-on-with-lots-of-colour"-look. At some point I even used it as clip-map.
Thats about it.
The batteries of course are just a wrapped pic, created in Corel, or in other cases, scanned.

Hope I could help,

Max Wolf
09-28-2003, 12:57 PM
wow nice job!
:trys to grab the remote.::
och.

ow yeah it is 3d not real

HowardM
09-28-2003, 04:39 PM
looks great...the gloss on the batteries and the painted lettering look nice..

SLAYER
09-28-2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Shloime

OK, here we go:
I rendered the top of the remote as pure black and white, as a template, then used corel-draw to create a bitmap with all the labels in pure black and white. Export it with a reasonable dpi-setting, and it should fit with an "automatic sizing".
Then just use several copies of it, some of them inverted, as colourmap, spec-map, and a slight bump-map for that "printed-on-with-lots-of-colour"-look. At some point I even used it as clip-map.
Thats about it.
The batteries of course are just a wrapped pic, created in Corel, or in other cases, scanned.

Hope I could help,

Interesting technique. Different approach than using UV's which is how I have been reading that this would be achieved.
When you "render the top of the remote" do you actually position the camera in Layout over the top and render that?

Thanks

mufty
09-28-2003, 05:07 PM
Nice work :) I modelled the same brand of batteries a few weeks back, but my texture map wasn't as crisp as yours.

hrgiger
09-29-2003, 09:56 AM
Nice.

I did a remote control a few several months ago. My question is, how did you model the buttons and get the nice rounded eges on the top? I personally modeled the buttons from extruded spheres and then used magnet on the top to round them but it wasn't very precise. Just was wondering how you did yours.

Shloime
09-29-2003, 10:55 AM
Hi.

@Slayer: UV-maps are a cool thing, but they are not the solution to everything. Here I used plain planar-projection from the top.
(See maps attached)

@mufty: Did you scan them? I did mine from scratch in Corel. And if you do them in Corel, don't forget to crank the dpi setting way up. I exported the battery with 800x800 and 300dpi, that should give you nice and crisp edges on the letters.
(See maps attached)

@hrgiger: Maybe the screenshot helps, too much to explain. Well, actually it is just a extruded disk (box), beveled a bit on top, and then moved the center points a bit up. Smooth it in the surface-ed, and there you go.

Hope I could help, thanks for all the positive reactions,

http://www.thomas-mil.de/pics/rembuttons.jpg

http://www.thomas-mil.de/pics/textures.jpg

SLAYER
09-29-2003, 07:58 PM
WORD!

That is cool. Out of all of the hundreds of LW tutorials out there, I have found nothing that approaches this type of stuff. This is as close to a tutorial to this kind of texturing as I can find.

That is unless of course you can make this into a tutorial.....?

What do ya say?

Shloime
09-30-2003, 07:58 AM
Thanks for the flowers :)

Well, time permitting, I could give it a try, but don't expect too much.