PDA

View Full Version : First steps with not-spaceships

Shloime
09-28-2003, 11:43 AM
Hello.

I am rather new here, and I like the concept of posting pics and getting more or less constructive critiques for them.

So here is my first try in being photoreal...

And now hit me!

Thanks,
http://www.thomas-mil.de/pics/kuli-col.jpg

cg-freak
09-28-2003, 03:43 PM
Well Shloime, I am impressed, looks almost the same as the photo, just a few tweaks away I guess:

Turn the reflection down a little...

Make the dark parts just a tad darker

The glossiness on the rubber grip should be a bit tighter, make it almost the same as the black on top.

Guess that'll do it, but if you don't show the original it's perfect as is...

Grtzzzzzzzzzzz....

CG-Freak:D

Shloime
09-29-2003, 11:27 AM
Hi.

Thanks for the hints, I try to incorporate them.
About the reflections: Guilty in all points. The usual show-off error, make it really visible that there are reflections...
less is more, like always...

Thanks again,

Chris Partridge
09-30-2003, 07:00 AM
Very nice indeed....how did you create such a piece of work?

Shloime
09-30-2003, 08:08 AM

I try to make it short:
The table is a plain flat box, with a photo of a stone-table mapped on it, and additionally using modified b/w-copies of the photo as textures in the diffuse and reflection channel.
The pen is a plain object, modelled in about a day.
The little secret (more or less) is, that I totally switched off all specularity, on every surface. Instead I tweaked the reflection settings quite a bit, with a bit of reflection blurring when needed.
The lighting is done with an imageworld wraparound, using Blochis livingroom (@blochi, hope you don't mind). An additional arealight lightens things up a bit.
The only drawback is the rendertime, because I used radiosity of course. Maybe I can find a way to get to these results without waiting an hour for the image to finish.