PDA

View Full Version : ffdshow codec

solelunauno
01-15-2011, 05:19 PM
I'm trying to edit some full Hd 1920x1080p footage produced by a Canon EOS 5D Mark II. This is in .mov container, codec avc1 H264, 50Mbps.
Playing it using quicktime 7 is possible on a very powerfull computer, and it takes a lot of system resources. Editing it with the same high power machine (Xeon 4Core 3Ghz) is also possible, even taking a lot of system resources.
I found that new ffdshow avc1 libavcodec (rev3721_20110107) can play this footage wery well, taking much less syetem resources: I'able to play it well even on a Pentium4 3K machine, connected to a 22" display! So, is there any way to make speededit using this external codec library to work out those clips?
I'm looking for a way to edit those eavy clips using a more efficient codec.
I know in old VT4 there were only a few internal codecs, so it was simply possible to install an external one, ad use it.
In newer VT5 and speededit I'm not able to do that.
Thank you for suggestions

Shabazzy
01-17-2011, 09:23 AM
SpeedEdit sees all the codecs on your system, and so is able to load any video file that is uses a codec that you have on your system.

To make a video file operate faster on SpeedEdit most users convert the original video file to the SpeedHQ codec. This allows you to edit in real-time in many cases. Once you've finished editing you can then render the finished product out to any codec you have on your system.

So I recommend converting the Canon's video file to SpeedHQ by using SpeedEdit's 'Convert to SpeedHQ' feature or the 'Render/Convert' feature.

Shabazzy

solelunauno
01-17-2011, 10:36 AM
ok, I understand this. But I'm shure speededit is non using the external codec, because ffdshow can be configured to show a tray icon everitime it is loaded by one application: for example Windows Media Player play canon's clips very well, automatical loading ffdshow.
The old VT4 was able to use any codec installed in my system (with or without advantages), but newer VT5 and SpeedEdit always attempt to use internal library.
For example, to edit xvid pal clips, VT4 needed xvid codec installed on the system, while Speededit plays the same clips without xvid installed, and it can't take any speed advantage from the codec eventually installed on the machine.

Jim_C
01-17-2011, 10:59 AM
I 'think' you can dig into the huge display of settings within ffdshow and set to always use that codec for playback.

Maybe ???

I have ffdshow installed also and I know sometimes when using SE the tray icon appears. I actually never paid much attention to what files it might be running tho. I will next time.