PDA

View Full Version : Twitter anyone?

JeffrySG
01-15-2011, 07:55 AM
I just started using Twitter... (yes I know late to the game for those that want to be using it) but I was wondering if there are other people that are using it?

I pretty much only post things that are related to 3d, lightwave, design, architecture, animation, film, etc. If there is anyone else out here that uses it and would like to follow me I'm twitting under "PixelandPoly (http://twitter.com/#!/PixelandPoly)".

And if there is anyone else that twits with similar subjects let me know. :) I'm not too interested in what people are eating or that they just had a fight with their significant other but tech/design/3d/film related topics are cool for me!

I see that NT has an account (http://twitter.com/#!/NewTekInc) but I couldn't find an account specifically for LW. Might be a good idea to list events, tutorials, cool images and plugins, etc.

Cheers!

jasonwestmas
01-15-2011, 08:20 AM
Yeah I use it but I kinda lost interest in it since most people seem to like to take pictures of food, animals, goofy expressions and twitter about those :P

OnlineRender
01-15-2011, 03:16 PM
3DJunkies.net is looking for members , it's kinda like facebook / twitter /myspace for artists .

cresshead
01-15-2011, 03:24 PM
twitter hasn't interested me as yet...

BigHache
01-15-2011, 06:56 PM
I use it occasionally, but more for randomness.

JeffrySG
01-15-2011, 07:22 PM
Yeah, it still doesn't really wow me or anything but I am finding it a nice way to pick up little bits of news (with links) and other little cool postings. Basically it's a way for me to find out about cool links on topics that I find interesting.

Dexter2999
01-15-2011, 08:51 PM
My life isnt' that interesting....and I don't think most other people's lives are that interesting that I want to follow them moment to moment.

Greenlaw
01-16-2011, 01:51 AM
It took me a while to understand how to make Twitter work for me. At first I didn't take it very seriously and I posted silly updates like "Going to rob a bank. What do you think, traditional black ski mask or trendy rubber nun mask?"

Now I use Twitter mainly to let people know what's going on at my website or YouTube channel (new comics, new movies, etc.) When I tweet, the message automatically updates my Facebook profile, which is mainly used the same way. These 'news feeds' help keep people aware and interested in my pet projects. Twitter also updates a feed on my website, Deviant Art page, and a few other places. The way I see it, it's a free self-promotion tool and it requires very little effort to be effective.

Lately, Twitter has brought to my attention a lot of interesting webcomic artists and short animation creators that I didn't even know existed. I wasn't even looking for this info, so it's been a nice bonus for me.

Oh, and I still post silly tweets every now and then. :)

G.

Greenlaw
01-16-2011, 01:58 AM
I also like the way Pilgway uses Twitter to let users know the day-to-day development of 3D Coat. I don't always understand what the programmer is describing in his tweets but it's interesting to see how a highly focused software developer thinks and works.

Twitter also keeps me up-to-date on releases by my favorite fansub groups. It's much more convenient than visiting a whole bunch of websites and blogs to get this info.

G.

jasonwestmas
01-16-2011, 07:28 AM
I also like the way Pilgway uses Twitter to let users know the day-to-day development of 3D Coat. I don't always understand what the programmer is describing in his tweets but it's interesting to see how a highly focused software developer thinks and works.

Twitter also keeps me up-to-date on releases by my favorite fansub groups. It's much more convenient than visiting a whole bunch of websites and blogs to get this info.

G.

Yes, Andrew is amazingly communicative. Definitely not a NT or Worley. I don't see why he would change.

Jim_C
01-16-2011, 07:35 AM
I find Twitter to be an invaluable communication tool for internal business communications. The boss or dude in charge of the production creates an account and then everyone on staff follows him. When there is a scheduling change, a new meeting, an offer to buy lunch etc he tweets it and instantly everyone gets the message straight from the source. Much easier and safer than word of mouth or text to text or mass emails or memos....

dwburman
01-16-2011, 11:46 AM
I mostly post business updates and links related to the industry.

You can do searches and find lots of useful links, especially if you use something like TweekDeck that lets you save searches.

http://twitter.com/#!/dwburman :)

OnlineRender
01-16-2011, 11:51 AM
I find Twitter to be an invaluable communication tool for internal business communications. The boss or dude in charge of the production creates an account and then everyone on staff follows him. When there is a scheduling change, a new meeting, an offer to buy lunch etc he tweets it and instantly everyone gets the message straight from the source. Much easier and safer than word of mouth or text to text or mass emails or memos....

it's an excellent form of instant media we use it to organize drinks :D, 3DJunkies has something similar except it feeds to facebook , twitter ect and has it on own inline version .

but I have something installed that I am toying with , your feedback would be great .

I have Ebuddy inline , I use it because at work we are not allowed msn installed on our systems ,ebuddy is an instant msg centre , pulls facebook myspace msn ect ,its handy to have hence why its there .

but...........

I have an email client / sms centre , you get 5 free sms messages *verification first , also has a contacts organizer .

I don't know if I should keep it there , its nice to have that extra option to send sms ,although pointless with social networking comparabilities .

"they way I see it if your on the net , you dont need to send an sms "

thoughts ?

Silkrooster
01-16-2011, 10:01 PM
It took me a while to understand how to make Twitter work for me. At first I didn't take it very seriously and I posted silly updates like "Going to rob a bank. What do you think, traditional black ski mask or trendy rubber nun mask?"

Now I use Twitter mainly to let people know what's going on at my website or YouTube channel (new comics, new movies, etc.) When I tweet, the message automatically updates my Facebook profile, which is mainly used the same way. These 'news feeds' help keep people aware and interested in my pet projects. Twitter also updates a feed on my website, Deviant Art page, and a few other places. The way I see it, it's a free self-promotion tool and it requires very little effort to be effective.

Lately, Twitter has brought to my attention a lot of interesting webcomic artists and short animation creators that I didn't even know existed. I wasn't even looking for this info, so it's been a nice bonus for me.

Oh, and I still post silly tweets every now and then. :)

G.
Careful typing anything silly on Twitter or any public site as it can come and bite you years later. Courthouses, the feds, you name it may use it against you even if it is out of context. Divorce Attorneys can prove someone is unfit, etc.
Whether that actually happens or not, who knows... But it has been in the news.

hdace
01-16-2011, 10:11 PM
I moved to Xiamen, China six months ago. It's blocked here, along with Facebook, YouTube (which makes browsing this discussion site a little depressing at times since I can't watch all the tuts and fascinating stuff like how to use a Kinect as a 3D scanning device), and, of all things, imdb.com. Go figure.

MentalFish
01-16-2011, 10:58 PM
I am tweeting (once in a while) under the same user name as here, mentalfish (http://twitter.com/mentalfish), and mostly about nerdy stuff. Trying to avoid posting about SSS, ****ting, showering and shaving which seems to be the case for many tweeters.

Been a while since I created an LScript, but I tweet about those things as well of course.

wrightyp100
01-19-2011, 10:10 AM
mines @paulwrightythen if anyone wants to follow. I tweet about movies, animation and my escapades in these fields. I also tweet random crap to my followers.

OnlineRender
01-19-2011, 10:33 AM
I have twitter account and I only follow one person & that's JIN :rock: other than that I have facebook and ofcourse 3Djunkies.net

Svenart
01-19-2011, 10:34 AM
no twitter, only facebook...

Greenlaw
01-19-2011, 12:01 PM
no twitter, only facebook...
I'm on the opposite side of that; Facebook gets too involving for me and I don't feel I can afford that much time for it. My tweets automatically update my FB page, and every now I'll check FB if I get an FB email response from the tweet. Otherwise, I don't think about FB very much.

Actually, 'tweeting' can take a bit of time for me too. Trying to figure out the best way to express a thought or an event in 140 characters or less can be challenging sometimes. It might sound odd but that's kind of fun for me. (I'm such a party animal aren't I?) :)

G.

OnlineRender
01-19-2011, 12:06 PM
Actually, 'tweeting' can take a bit of time for me too. Trying to figure out the best way to express a thought or an event in 140 characters or less can be challenging sometimes. It might sound odd but that's kind of fun for me. (I'm such a party animal aren't I?) :)

G.

you'll like 3Djunkies.net then we have a cap of 140 in "THE WIRE" it's a challenge :)

Greenlaw
01-19-2011, 12:12 PM
I'll check it out. :)

Greenlaw
01-19-2011, 12:17 PM
I don't send text messages on my cel though. If I started doing that I'd never get any work done. 8~

OnlineRender
01-19-2011, 12:22 PM
I don't send text messages on my cel though. If I started doing that I'd never get any work done. 8~

try running the LW group chat in skype on your mobile , now that's a laugh ...bloop bloop bloop bloop bloop

JeffrySG
01-20-2011, 05:02 PM
Yeah, I do use facebook but it's more for my family and old friends. I don't usually like having work related connection on it. But I'm pretty much only using twitter for work and work related topics.