PDA

View Full Version : Dynamics Crashes Layout

Getting Board
01-15-2011, 12:01 AM
I'm using LW 9.6 on an i7 PC with 12 Gigs RAM.

Every time I load an object, go to Object Properties, click the Dynamics tab, the Add Dynamic then pick any of the three options, Layout crashes immediately.

I've tried this with modeler shut down and loaded up Layout with a clean start... no scene file loaded. I then add ANY object, be it a simple ball or box and it still crashes when I pick any Dynamic option.

Layout crashes very rarely so I was quite surprised to see this.

Any ideas as to what might be causing this?

:lwicon:

OnlineRender
01-15-2011, 04:05 AM
I experienced the same problem with dyn , every time I selected my null obj with dyn attached it crashed . " esp if you have pre-saved the collusion file " only work around I found was constant saving , dont click on the null or object in the view port , use the object panel instead ,before you calculate save , calculate save ,save . save . save .

OnlineRender
01-15-2011, 04:15 AM
also send your content folder and fogbuzz it ! let NT know what's going wrong !

Getting Board
01-15-2011, 07:48 AM
OR, thanks for your replies, but I never get to the point that I can even do anything.

It goes exactly like this:

Start Layout.
Load Object... box.
Apply Dynamics option... CRASH

There is nothing else. No other activity. Nothing before and nothing after (except for the crash report :) )

I haven't even SEEN the other stuff you mentioned as I never get past applying the Dynamics option.

I'd be ok if I was able to make SOME progress and then save. But I got nothin... zero, zilch, zippo, nada.

prometheus
01-15-2011, 01:36 PM
OR, thanks for your replies, but I never get to the point that I can even do anything.

It goes exactly like this:

Start Layout.
Load Object... box.
Apply Dynamics option... CRASH

There is nothing else. No other activity. Nothing before and nothing after (except for the crash report :) )

I haven't even SEEN the other stuff you mentioned as I never get past applying the Dynamics option.

I'd be ok if I was able to make SOME progress and then save. But I got nothin... zero, zilch, zippo, nada.

what are youré system specs? perhaps graphic card driver issue?
Ivé not encountered that problem, but Ive had crashes sometimes when working with dynamic winds, emitters and switching between those or between objects sometimes, that occoured more on windows xp 32 bit,
with my new config with windows 7 I do not encounter those problems hardly any more.

The new lightwave 10 seems pretty stable too, no crashes at all while Ivé
been testing dynamics.

Perhaps do a fresh install of lightwave again, and check..if it persists, I would look into the graphics drivers or hardware setup with memory etc.

Michael

Getting Board
01-15-2011, 03:48 PM
Currently: GeForce GTX 275

Driver Version: 258.96
CUDA Cores: 240
Graphics Clock: 648 MHz
Processor Clock: 1458 MHz
Memory Clock: 1188 MHz (2376 MHz data rate)
Memory Interface: 448-bit
Total available graphics memory: 3707 MB
Dedicated Video memory: 896 MB GDDR3
System Video Memory: 0 MB
Shared System Memory: 2811 MB
Video BIOS version: 62.00.60.00.70
IRQ: 30
Bus: PCI Express x 16 Gen2

Win 7 Pro 64 bit

12 Gigs DDR3
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67 GHz

Dual 22" Viewsonic LCD

Lightwave 9.5

I'm writing this just before I update to Nvidia drivers version 260.99.

I'll report back after updating.

In the meantime, how do view my .dmp file other than via a text editor?
Is there something that breaks it down to make it easier to view and understand?

Thanks for your reply, Prometheus.

Getting Board
01-15-2011, 11:16 PM
Currently: GeForce GTX 275

Driver Version: 258.96
CUDA Cores: 240
Graphics Clock: 648 MHz
Processor Clock: 1458 MHz
Memory Clock: 1188 MHz (2376 MHz data rate)
Memory Interface: 448-bit
Total available graphics memory: 3707 MB
Dedicated Video memory: 896 MB GDDR3
System Video Memory: 0 MB
Shared System Memory: 2811 MB
Video BIOS version: 62.00.60.00.70
IRQ: 30
Bus: PCI Express x 16 Gen2

Win 7 Pro 64 bit

12 Gigs DDR3
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67 GHz

Dual 22" Viewsonic LCD

Lightwave 9.5

I'm writing this just before I update to Nvidia drivers version 260.99.

I'll report back after updating.

In the meantime, how do view my .dmp file other than via a text editor?
Is there something that breaks it down to make it easier to view and understand?

Thanks for your reply, Prometheus.

For now the only thing I need Dynamics for is to roll some dice in a board game tutorial. Is there a plugin out there that will do the same thing that might not crash?

prometheus
01-16-2011, 07:07 AM
By the way, in your first post you mention that your´e using Lightwave 9.6

but in your system spec setup declaration in later post it says 9.5 ?

If youré using 9.5.. get out of there, it was very unstable.

Michael

OnlineRender
01-16-2011, 08:08 AM
For now the only thing I need Dynamics for is to roll some dice in a board game tutorial. Is there a plugin out there that will do the same thing that might not crash?

Like this :D ,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS6CuC6DkSw just showing off "badly but with style " :rock:

Getting Board
01-16-2011, 08:27 AM
Correction: I'm using 9.5

GOOD NEWS! I'm a doofus!
As of the most recent install I hadn't yet told Layout where the plugins are located. Once I did the problem went away. No problems at all with Dynamics now... other than trying to get the darn dice to stop rolling and come to a stop flat on a side.

OR, very nice work! I'm hoping mine will have as good of a presentation as yours. Really like the money slides in from left side...nice touch.
Now, how do I get the dice to stop rolling? I have good bounce and roll, but when it should come to a stop it just keeps rolling/sliding as it makes minor axis changes.
I did get it to slowly come to a stop, but it stops on an edge, not a flat side as it should.

I'm still playing with the settings, but for now, no dice. :D

You mind sharing your settings for the die and collision object?

OnlineRender
01-16-2011, 08:57 AM
You mind sharing your settings for the die and collision object?

I was lucky to pull the video , can't find the content and it wasn't made on my machine , soz if I find them I will post , I can't even remember the settings .

think I had gravity on and pulled it down quickly to kill the object speed, also tweak your friction and bounce .

think the ground colusion object is set to stick , I honestly can't remember and I'll doubt I'll get back on the machine to see .
SOZ

EDIT
--------------------
just cheat to kill the motion ,or use the graph editor , to cheat set another colousion null ->flat surface , and just squash/kill the dice .or use blender game physics and bring it back into LW :D