PDA

View Full Version : Fluid dynamics for LightWave 10?

Rove
01-14-2011, 03:16 PM
Hi all,

So what's a good 3rd party plugin to be used with LightWave 10 for fluid dynamics?

Rove.

Matt
01-14-2011, 10:38 PM
Turbulence4D (http://www.jawset.com/gallery_t4d.php) is the one that shows most promise.

Dynamite (http://www.cantarcan.com/) is as dead as a dead parrot (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vuW6tQ0218) by the looks of it.

Fire & Smoke Generator (http://www.polas.net/smoke/index.php) is quite old now, and is more specific to, well, fire and smoke, instead of a more general fluid effects system.

Rove
01-15-2011, 02:07 AM
Hey Matt,

Thanks for the reply. I will look into Turbulence4D. Looks interesting enough to me.

A recent job sparked the old question of "whenever will there be a good fluid dynamics simulator for LightWave." :)

Greetz, Rove.

3D Kiwi
01-15-2011, 02:32 AM
Not a plugin but blender is a good option

Phil
01-15-2011, 03:46 AM
If you've got the cash, there's RealFlow as well - www.realflow.com

prometheus
01-15-2011, 11:46 AM
Hey Matt,

Thanks for the reply. I will look into Turbulence4D. Looks interesting enough to me.

A recent job sparked the old question of "whenever will there be a good fluid dynamics simulator for LightWave." :)

Greetz, Rove.

Turbulence 4d works with lightwave 10 vpr as well, very valuable.
The display of the fluid simulations in turbulence 4d, will probably soon have a full 3d presentation, currently you have open gl slice display only.

Jawset who develops turbulence 4d, is also very active in the forums responding to questions and listens to many feature requests if doable, very valuable too.

Even if Maya fluids have more power and even houdinis pyro fx has too, Ivé tried them and found that I can acheive fire and smoke effects faster and more easy in turbulence 4d, the speed of the simulations might feel faster in maya and houdini, but it depends on so many things how you set it up, Maya and houdini have a simple switch for 2d container wich simulates only on one coordinate depth axis wich is fast, Youll have to size that manually within turbulence to get similar.

Maya can use the fluids together with its wind forces, same goes for houdini, I think jawset might implement something like that too, or at least additional wind forces, that allows a more artistic design of the fluids if needed.

So yeah Turbulence 4d is the only thing for lightwave today,Unless owning a non supported dynamite plugin.
Maybe the bullit engine might get some fluid adaptation someday, both liquid and smoke/fire.

I don´t know about the roadmap for turbulence 4d, but I think Iv´e seen jawset mention possible Liquid fluids in a future.

Michael

speismonqui
01-21-2011, 02:05 PM
Maybe its too soon to ask, maybe not but... is there a chance for T4D to be in CORE? Or NT is developing its own fluids? Im not a HC member so I guess I wont get an answer due to NDA, I just wanted to ask.

Rove
01-23-2011, 04:27 AM
As far as I can recall the developers weren't planning on including fluid dynamics for Core.

T4D wil probably be worked out for Core. If not I'm sure we do not have to wait long before another 3rd party plugin comes out which does the job.

marchermitte
06-03-2011, 08:22 AM
Hello! I've seen and tried the demo, It's pretty good (I'm one of the unfortunate owners of passed out Dynamite)... I found some tutorials about Turbulence for C4D but the settings and input fields are quite differents. Do you know if there are any specific tutorials for Lightwave? (I searched the web, no success so far)
Thank you.

Rove
06-05-2011, 03:23 AM
Well I've ben using TFD (TurbulenceFD) for a while now and had to "discover" most of it by experimenting.

I browsed through the manual and then just started playing around with the settings. For testing purposes I mostly use a Voxel Size ranging from 75mm to 100mm and once I feel I'm getting what I like I'm sizing it down to a useable broadcast quality.

I agree with Matt stating TFD currently is the most promising fluid dynamics plugin for LW.

There aren't many tutorials out there indeed but that might change in the near future. My advice: experiment, experiment and then experiment some more.

Elmar Moelzer
06-05-2011, 04:26 AM
T4D wil probably be worked out for Core. If not I'm sure we do not have to wait long before another 3rd party plugin comes out which does the job.
CORE does not have a volumetric plugins class and last I knew, there was none planned for version 1.0. That might change with the new management though.

Turbulence FD is still in beta, which explains the lack of documentation/tutorials for it.

mattc
06-07-2011, 01:04 AM
CORE does not have a volumetric plugins class and last I knew, there was none planned for version 1.0. That might change with the new management though.

Turbulence FD is still in beta, which explains the lack of documentation/tutorials for it.

Thought Jascha posted a link to the C4D tutorials for it which work just as well in LW. There's a lot of good stuff in that rather long thread....