PDA

View Full Version : FiberFX Clump Fried in 9.6. Bug???

fgreen
01-14-2011, 11:16 AM
I was having trouble with FiberFX in 9.6, so for a test I went back to William Vaughan's FiberFX Grass tutorial (first pic).

ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/LW_9/FiberGrass.mov

I set my scene up exactly (third pic) as William did. Unfortunately I did not get the same results. (second pic).

In the tutorial a single poly is used and the clumps of grass look pretty random. In 9.6, using a single poly, the grass all bends inward, forming a single clump. This happens when any non-zero number, including textures, is entered into the clump channel. Subdividing the poly creates regular clumps aligned with the poly's.

In 9.6 it seems to be necessary to subdivide and fractalize the single poly to get a result like in the tutorial. (fourth pic) For grass this may work, but I'm not sure how practical this would be as a work-around on a character, especially for facial hair.

A search of the forum revealed that others have noticed this issue, but I couldn't find a solution.

Could it be that something got broken between 9.5 and 9.6?

I hope I'm just missing something, as I need to do some hair for a project I'm working on. (Wasn't planning to upgrade v10 for a couple of months until this project is complete, as I hate to add that variable during a project with a deadline.)

William can you shed any light on this?

Can anyone else?

If it is a bug, is there a workaround?

Thanks, for any and all help!

hunter
01-14-2011, 11:51 AM
Can you post your scene? I'll check in 10. Chances are it'll be the same in 10 as 9.6.

fgreen
01-14-2011, 12:07 PM
Thanks Hunter. If it works I'll probably bite the bullet and upgrade now.

If anyone else still has 9.5 loaded could you check this scene? Just to double check that the single poly version has random clumping.

Thanks again.

cagey5
01-14-2011, 12:10 PM
I'm sure that fFX has always clumped per polygon and therefore William will have been using a multi faceted plane, in which case nothing has altered.

I may be wrong because it's a loooong time since I've played with fibers but that's as I remember it.

fgreen
01-14-2011, 12:41 PM
Thanks Cagey5, I think maybe you are right. I checked the tutorial again, and William's display was set for shaded solid which would hide the sub divisions. I usually keep mine set to solid with wireframes, so I didn't even think of that.

hunter
01-14-2011, 01:18 PM
It's exactly the same in 10. Don't upgrade just for FFX.

fgreen
01-15-2011, 08:56 PM
Hey Hunter, thanks for checking this for me. Any kind of anomaly drives me crazy...

I'm looking forward to the upgrade mainly because the OpenGL preview sounds so much better. I'm a bit nervous also, due to buggy upgrades in the past. Also hopefully the learning curve is not too steep. I haven't even tried the demo version yet.

I usually keep both old and new versions running for a while until I'm confident in the upgrade. Sounds like Core is pretty radical though.

jasonwestmas
01-16-2011, 09:37 AM
Actually FFX in 10 is more frizzy and tangled looking with even when most of the settings are on Zero%. Good luck getting any flicker free animation with it.

hunter
01-16-2011, 11:55 AM
Actually FFX in 10 is more frizzy and tangled looking with even when most of the settings are on Zero%. Good luck getting any flicker free animation with it.

Yes, that's true.

jeric_synergy
01-16-2011, 12:15 PM
I'm looking forward to the upgrade mainly because the OpenGL preview sounds so much better. I'm a bit nervous also, due to buggy upgrades in the past. Also hopefully the learning curve is not too steep. I haven't even tried the demo version yet.

I usually keep both old and new versions running for a while until I'm confident in the upgrade. Sounds like Core is pretty radical though.
CORE is not radical, in any sense of the term.

IMO, at this time, FFX 10 shares many, if not all, of the shortcomings of its immediate predecessors.

fgreen
01-20-2011, 08:58 AM
CORE is not radical, in any sense of the term.

I was under the impression that it was a ground-up re-write? Even using a new or updated file format?

So are you saying that it is just another upgrade?

BlueApple
01-20-2011, 09:14 AM
I was under the impression that it was a ground-up re-write? Even using a new or updated file format?

So are you saying that it is just another upgrade?

Core is a standalone application and it is a ground-up rewrite. When you buy LightWave10 you get three total applications: Modeler, Layout and Core.*

I agree with jeric_synergy, as I have seen many of the same problems with Fiber FX in LightWave10's Layout. I have not seen LightWave10's Core application yet, and do not know whether or not FiberFX even exists inside of it (though I am guessing FiberFX will not be in there when the program goes public.)

*You do not get three applications immediately. Modeler and Layout are delivered immediately; Core will be made available at a later date.

fgreen
01-20-2011, 11:39 AM
Adam, thanks for the clarification. I thought core was here now in LW10. It is a little dissapointing that it is not out yet, but I hope they take the time they need to really get it right.