PDA

View Full Version : add a minus button in the numeric panel

zardoz
01-14-2011, 03:11 AM
I wish we could have a minus button next to every entry in the numeric panel.
It's a workflow killer when I'm typing anything in the numeric panel and having to insert the minus before. It would be a lot faster to just type the value and click the button to add the minus.

tx

wrench
01-14-2011, 04:07 AM
Is the minus key not on the numeric keypad on a Portuguese keyboard?

B

UnCommonGrafx
01-14-2011, 04:23 AM
Yeah, right after they add that Lock icon so that one number will suffice for all three fields.

wrench
01-14-2011, 04:31 AM
Now *that* would be a welcome addition. Matt? Matt? You need to be reading this thread too! ;) Actually Robert, add that one to the "little niggles" thread...

B

zardoz
01-14-2011, 04:47 AM
wrench, yes the Portuguese keyboard is pretty much the same as the English one, only with some minor differences in the main keys (accentuation signs, etc).
the numeric keyboard is the same, but it's just that when I want to move something in the X axis 500mm I simply type it, and when I want to move -500, I also type 500 and only after typing the 500 I remember it's negative...then I have to click in the input field, then press home to go to the beginning and then type the minus. this could be a lot faster.

UnCommonGrafx: that would be nice too.
and a multiplier for all the fields (same as the lock button). If we want to resize something in the numeric field, just lock all 3 fields and type the multiplier.

PS I almost forgot this one: the reset button in the drop down menu? please put it outside, below the activate button. I really, really hate, drop down menus. And lightwave is full of them.

UnCommonGrafx
01-14-2011, 05:01 AM
Put that reset action on 'alt-r'. It should be a normal keyboard shortcut for the default setting. Reset is awfully important, important enough to warrant a shortcut key.
space, alt-r, repeat is so much more efficient, workflow-wise, me thinks.

Where's that thread, wrench?

wrench
01-14-2011, 03:03 PM
Here: http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114657

B

Matt
01-14-2011, 09:33 PM
Now *that* would be a welcome addition. Matt? Matt? You need to be reading this thread too! ;) Actually Robert, add that one to the "little niggles" thread...

B

Actually, the 'minus' button is something I've though of and needed myself.

Would take quite a bit of work to get it in everywhere though! Not quite the simple task I wished it was! Same goes for the lock on triplets (a subject close to my heart, which is why I wrote the 'Coord Tools Pack'!)

I was wondering whether a <pick qualifier key of choice here> + return (e.g. Shift + Return) in any of the numeric fields of a triple could set what you typed in into the other fields.

However, as these gadgets are using system input boxes, that might not be quite straight forward (as in getting full control over them). And you would ideally want it as a new gadget type, i.e. triple so that they work anywhere they are being used, and you don't have to special case them, so plugin writers could use them, otherwise you'd have ones working in LW, but not in any plugins, and that would not be right!

Kuzey
01-15-2011, 06:17 AM
I was wondering whether a <pick qualifier key of choice here> + return (e.g. Shift + Return) in any of the numeric fields of a triple could set what you typed in into the other fields.

You could do the same thing for the minus symbol....maybe, even just have a modifier key combo to toggle a number from a positive to negative value.

Just thinking :D

Kuzey