PDA

View Full Version : Apply texture along a curved surface

shartwig
01-13-2011, 03:57 PM
I'm trying to apply a cloth texture along a curved ribbon-like surface.

I've tried various UV map settings but haven't been able to find a way to avoid the stretching of the texture along certain axes.

I feel sure a million people have done this a million times and any direction would be hugely appreciated!!

Thanks.
Scott

Dexter2999
01-13-2011, 04:12 PM
You have it applied using a UV map? Did you create the UV map first then bend the shape up?
Does your render look distorted or is it just the OpenGL?
Can you post the scene and object file?

shartwig
01-13-2011, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the help ... I'll happily upload the OBJ and LWS files.

I drew the curved shape and then applied using a UV Map.

And yes, the render also looks distorted.

Scott

JeffrySG
01-13-2011, 04:33 PM
Dexter was asking because it will be hard to get the uv map to be perfectly spaced if you created it bent in the beginning as all of the polys will probably not be evenly spaced. If you created a strip with an even grid of polygons then created a uv map then bent it the uv map would be nice and even and your texture would not stretch as the polys will be spaced evenly and the texture is even as well. Does that make sense?

It looks simple enough that I'd start from a straight strip with an even grid and make your uv - test the texture - and then bend it trying not to stretch it too much - although if you stretch it the texture would stretch with it as if it was real fabric, etc.

Also it will help if you measure your texture - in inches or meters, etc and then build the object to match the size so the texture doesn't stretch in the beginning either.

Skonk
01-13-2011, 04:33 PM
Yeh you need to either create the UV Map first, and then deform the shape after; this will allow the texture to deform with the shape.

The other option is to use a morph and standard mapping coords (cubic, planar etc).

Create the basic object without any deformations, and then create a morph map and twist the object into the correct shape.

The mapping is applied to the base mesh first (so the non-distorted version) and then the morph will deform both the object and it's texture.

EDIT: Sorry Jeffry; you beat me to it while I was typing :)

JeffrySG
01-13-2011, 04:36 PM
EDIT: Sorry Jeffry; you beat me to it while I was typing :)

lol.... saw that you posted the same time as me....

shartwig
01-13-2011, 04:42 PM
That makes sense about deforming the shape after the UV Map is applied. I'll try that out. And thanks for the extra info ... I might even try the morph mapping option if I'm feeling ambitious.