PDA

View Full Version : Rounding inside edges...

Serling
01-13-2011, 01:33 AM
OK, here's one that's been stumping me since I started using LightWave 3 years ago.

Rounder seems to work fine for rounding off outside edges, but let's say you have a seam where two polys create a hard, sharp, inside edge (see attached screen grab.)

Is there a way to round off the edge between two polys that intersect?

Skonk
01-13-2011, 02:23 AM
Rounder will work on a shape like the one you present there; but it would have to be all physically joined up and have the points merged into one solid object with no internal polygons.

Serling
01-15-2011, 10:51 PM
Rounder will work on a shape like the one you present there; but it would have to be all physically joined up and have the points merged into one solid object with no internal polygons.

Thank you for the reply, Skonk. I guess the problem is I don't think I've ever properly understood how to connect intersecting polys, as you have shown in your illustration. Booleans don't join them, so I don't know if there is a tool or process that let's me do this without plotting the basic shape as 2D points then extruding it. Any ideas?

BTW, I found that Mass Round from LWCad does a much better job of rounding problem edges than Rounder, so I'll have to remember to use that.

Thanks again.

meshpig
01-16-2011, 01:16 AM
I guess the problem is I don't think I've ever properly understood how to connect intersecting polys, as you have shown in your illustration.

Well you wouldn't use a boolean for that just start with say the box tool and draw a 2D plane in top view, or 2D pattern with lwcad then extrude.

- LW Rounder has 2 modes, points and edges; in point mode it extends vertices to quads, in edge mode you select polys and it "rounds" in the same way lwcad mass round does.

Lewis
01-16-2011, 04:53 AM
Hi !

Here is quick short video with few TIPS on rounder and problem you have here.
http://www.lewis.tomsoft.hr/temp/LW/Rounder_TIPS.mp4

P.S. Just be aware that this is NOT only way how to tackle this, just one of ways, LWModeler offer different styles/systems to work and it's up to user to use one he likes most :)

Cheers

JeffrySG
01-16-2011, 04:39 PM
Steve Warner has a great little video about rounder as well. :)
http://www.stevewarner.com/Freeview/01/

Nice vid Lewis, that's how I'd do it also. :)

Serling
01-16-2011, 11:02 PM
Wow! Thank you Lewis! I wasn't really expecting something so well done, but that really helps! The reason I was asking about this is because for some time I've tried recreating my hall of shame set, but I the corners all had the perfect CG look. I wanted to be able to add some rounding to the inside corners but could never figure out how to do this (I kept trying to use Booleans and Drill but could never achieve the look I wanted!) Needless to say, I've been pretty frustrated by this. Thank you, again!

P.S. Here's a quick "wall" I threw together using your tip, Lewis.

This had also recently become a priority for me because I had to install a bathroom vanity (complete with all the plumbing) and noticed that not only do I not have a single, truly square wall in my house, but not a single plumb wall, either! :devil: (It is an older house. Amazing what you can do with copious amounts of caulk applied to such situations!) :thumbsup:

Thanks again!

Lewis
01-17-2011, 12:22 AM
No problem, I'm glad it helps :).

Amurrell
01-17-2011, 02:52 PM
Thank you for the reply, Skonk. I guess the problem is I don't think I've ever properly understood how to connect intersecting polys, as you have shown in your illustration. Booleans don't join them, so I don't know if there is a tool or process that let's me do this without plotting the basic shape as 2D points then extruding it. Any ideas?

BTW, I found that Mass Round from LWCad does a much better job of rounding problem edges than Rounder, so I'll have to remember to use that.

Thanks again.

Actually booleans will join them if you use union, sort of, delete the top and bottom faces, merge the points, lasso select the top points create a face and do the same to the bottom points then select the edges you want to round and do it that way. I know there are easier ways to do this as described, but I had to try it this way just as a proof of concept to myself. You're right, they aren't joined until you merge the points.

The result:

In the end, mass round is awesome.

borkus
01-17-2011, 06:20 PM
Serling, you will do yourself a huge service if you learn modelling techniques that don't use booleans. I haven't used them for years and don't miss them at all. Some operations take a bit of forethought. But, I don't have to worry about modeller doing all kinds of screwy things and layout giving me any last minute surprises...

Serling
01-23-2011, 02:30 PM
Funny you should mention booleans. I was watching some older (LW8) William Vaughn tutorials this morning, and saw one where he put together a cathedral ceiling using nothing but booleans, then rounding all the inside edges. The step I forgot to do was to merge points after running union on my wall example. So I tried merging points after doing it his way and voila: it worked!

So now I know at least two ways to round inside edges from intersecting polys. :)

Thanks again, guys. :)

And yeah, what Amurrell said. :)

cresshead
01-23-2011, 02:47 PM
Hi !

Here is quick short video with few TIPS on rounder and problem you have here.
http://www.lewis.tomsoft.hr/temp/LW/Rounder_TIPS.mp4

P.S. Just be aware that this is NOT only way how to tackle this, just one of ways, LWModeler offer different styles/systems to work and it's up to user to use one he likes most :)

Cheers

excellent video tip :thumbsup:

jrandom
01-23-2011, 07:08 PM
Note that if you're using LWCad, booleans become very usable. :)

Serling
01-27-2011, 11:11 AM
OK, here's an example of 2 boxes joined using union, points merged, then Mass Round applied. Like it! :thumbsup:

Amurrell
01-27-2011, 09:56 PM
There you go.

COBRASoft
01-28-2011, 03:09 AM
LWCAD is superb :)!