PDA

View Full Version : Ozone 5 coming up!

prometheus
01-13-2011, 12:54 AM
Latest newsletter from e-on reveals that the atmospheric plugin ozone 5 is coming up, Itīs supposed to work with lightwave 10.

http://www.e-onsoftware.com/about/newsletter/

Nothing else is mentioned about improvements or new features thou, but it will render Hyper-realistic atmospheres..that statement is always funny (hyper-realistic)

From my initial test with the ozone ple versions, I was put off by the fact that it doesnīt obscure volumetrics like hypervoxels, so smoke trails behind clouds need to be composited with alpha etc.

the ozone plugin differs from vue itself when it comes to cloud detail, since you didntīhave the option to tweak cloud detail scale and roughness as in vue wich was a major let down, and of course you canīt
use metaclouds.

These are two things I would like to see fixed if possible, and Itīs gonna be interesting to see If and how it works with Lightwave 10 VPR.

Ps..I still would vote for a new integrated solution from newtek, ala ogo taiki on steroids with improved UI and a true spectral atmosphere.

Michael

Phil
01-13-2011, 01:25 AM
Ozone 4 fixed the volumetric integration issue - Ozone 5 should be fine as well. Since Ozone is basically an extract from the main Vue package (in this case probably 9.x, where Ozone 4 was 7.x), you should expect that preexisting atmospheres will change radically. That's always been my experience - mainly to do with cloud layers being interpreted very differently.

Given the success of the Ozone 4 open beta, I'm surprised that they didn't go the same route with Ozone 5. There hasn't been a single service release for Ozone 4 since its release, after all, and I've not hit any issues until a recent OS X update broke the UI.

prometheus
01-13-2011, 01:36 AM
Ozone 4 fixed the volumetric integration issue - Ozone 5 should be fine as well. Since Ozone is basically an extract from the main Vue package (in this case probably 9.x, where Ozone 4 was 7.x), you should expect that preexisting atmospheres will change radically. That's always been my experience - mainly to do with cloud layers being interpreted very differently.

Given the success of the Ozone 4 open beta, I'm surprised that they didn't go the same route with Ozone 5. There hasn't been a single service release for Ozone 4 since its release, after all, and I've not hit any issues until a recent OS X update broke the UI.

Fixing the volumetric integration issue? No I dontīthink were talking about the same thing, Im talking about clouds obscuring voxels as when a smoketrail goes above and down behind clouds they canīt obscure that trail, wich then will look like the smoke trail just floats above the clouds all the time, You are probably talking about the fact that it renders together, but thatīs a completly different thing, or am I wrong?

Then the fact that you canīt change the detail as in vueīs seperated cloud detail tab, only in the cloud layers scaling and in the cloud layer detail slider, but thatīs a different thing, Also donīt forget that You canīt acess the cloud layers density nodes with noises and fractals in ozone.

If they could solve these issues and include a metacloud feature to apply on created geometry...Then were talking impressive stuff.

Michael

Phil
01-13-2011, 02:20 AM
Fixing the volumetric integration issue? No I dontīthink were talking about the same thing, Im talking about clouds obscuring voxels as when a smoketrail goes above and down behind clouds they canīt obscure that trail, wich then will look like the smoke trail just floats above the clouds all the time, You are probably talking about the fact that it renders together, but thatīs a completly different thing, or am I wrong?

Ozone 4 obscures volumetrics from, amongst others, HDInstance. That was my metric. Ozone 3 could not do this - the other volumetrics, as you say, popped out over the top of the Ozone contribution. Now they don't - the elements from Ozone 4 get properly integrated into the volumetric stack. This was one of the big ticket fixes for Ozone 4. e-on originally blamed SDK issues, but after some arm twisting they acknowledged that the issue was inherent to the version 3 engine and it was fixed in 4.0

There's a trial version for 4.0, I believe, so you can easily check :)

prometheus
01-13-2011, 02:24 AM
Ozone 4 obscures volumetrics from, amongst others, HDInstance. That was my metric. Ozone 3 could not do this - the other volumetrics, as you say, popped out over the top of the Ozone contribution. Now they don't - the elements from Ozone 4 get properly integrated into the volumetric stack. This was one of the big ticket fixes for Ozone 4. e-on originally blamed SDK issues, but after some arm twisting they acknowledged that the issue was inherent to the version 3 engine and it was fixed in 4.0

There's a trial version for 4.0, I believe, so you can easily check :)

I beleive I tried that in v 4.0 of ozone, I have to do a check again since you mention this.

Michael

prometheus
01-13-2011, 05:33 AM
Uhmm..maybe It was ozone 3 I tested, I tried to install ozone 4 but canīt install them properly, the 64 version is protesting giving me this error message..

"This plugin version was not compiled for the current application version! Please make sure you use the correct version of the plugin"

That message is showing up when loading atmosphere or edit atmosphere after the cfg branches are imported.

And in the 32 bit system...I got this message...

"Cant find ozone 4 application folder"

Both ozone 4 for 32 and 64 lightwave 9.6 was installed and directed manually to each lightwave program folder.

Michael

gerry_g
01-14-2011, 08:50 AM
copy paste from existing directory for you 9.6 install, don't try to install from scratch, should run in 32bit mode ok with 10

prometheus
01-14-2011, 08:56 AM
copy paste from existing directory for you 9.6 install, don't try to install from scratch, should run in 32bit mode ok with 10

Copy and paste what?

I have to install the setup Ozone setup right? after that I manually located the ozone plug wich is located in the lightwave/plugin/utility folder
autos scan isnīt used.

So I donīt get what you mean.

Michael

gerry_g
01-14-2011, 09:13 AM
If you don't already have it installed for previous version of LW or have deleted it yes, what you need is the full independent app 'Ozone4' sitting in your general computer apps folder, the 'Ozone4 folder' in your 'User Presets directory' and the 'Ozone4.plugin' in your plugins folder and you should be good to go. Any of which could be copied from an existing instal, It sounds to me like it couldn't find the Ozone4 presets folder cos you hadn't put it in place or put it in the correct place.