PDA

View Full Version : Means to sweeten audio tracks?

agv
09-28-2003, 03:42 AM
Is there a way to apply EQ (or other audio effects) to a unique clip in TeD? Thanks for any advice.

Danner
09-28-2003, 05:31 AM
Not in ted, you must take your audio to another app.

ScorpioProd
09-28-2003, 05:33 PM
Definately something that really needs to be addressed soon...

agv
09-28-2003, 06:20 PM
Thanks. Here's a vote for a new feature!

videoguy
09-28-2003, 06:20 PM
well as soon as andrew gets a patch out he and i are gonna work on that

djlithium
10-06-2003, 01:02 PM
Well if you do. Please take hints from Steinberg's WaveLab. Probably the best wave editing application ever with full VST and Direct X filter support and 32bit floating point recording.
Of course it is now discontinued.
If you guys are serious, get Toaster to talk directly to Nuendo.
That's the new standard for Audio/Video post.

Anybody have any thoughts on this??

ScorpioProd
10-06-2003, 10:09 PM
Well, I personally think support of a standard plug-in architecture would be better than creating Toaster exclusive audio processing from scratch.

gosmond
10-10-2003, 11:34 PM
As far as two applications working together integration-wise, Vegas Video and Sound Forge are quite amazing. You click on the sound timeline and the sound editor application listed in in your preferences is launched. You can overide it with another editor or use your default.

In Sound Forge, the application not only can do all the great stuff with your sound but displays a time line of the video up on top of the screen and animates the timeline similar to the way Icons are animated in VT Filebin. This allows you to see where you are in your clips in relation to the sound being modified.

AntAT
10-10-2003, 11:47 PM

vanguard
10-13-2003, 08:05 AM
We've used Cool Edit Pro in one version or another for years.

It does everything we need, is cheap, and reliable.

I would like to eventually see some plug-ins too.

videoguy
10-13-2003, 08:09 AM
plugins are coming you need to remember we are writing our own architecture so its going to take awhile

djlithium
10-13-2003, 01:45 PM
I still think that basing the plug-in system on routing audio out to direct X or VST style effects racks is the best way to go. The VST SDK is freely available from steinberg and its a standard accepted across dozens of applications.

In addition, it helps with studios who have large investments in such plugins for those applications and can install and use them on their toasters.

There are also tons of free effects and effects send plugs for VST and DXi making it probably the best choice marketing wise.

ScorpioProd
10-13-2003, 03:08 PM
Exactly, why on earth would anyone want a "new" architecture when there are ESTABILISHED plug-ins like VST and DirectX audio ones already perfected???

Tom Wood
10-13-2003, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by djlithium
Please take hints from Steinberg's WaveLab. Probably the best wave editing application ever with full VST and Direct X filter support and 32bit floating point recording.
Of course it is now discontinued.

Discontinued? Say Whaaat???

I just went to Steinberg's site and I didn't see anything about that. They just posted some new updates. :confused:

But I agree, it's a nice program.

TW

djlithium
10-13-2003, 03:44 PM
To my knowledge there will be no new releases post 4.X of wavelab. they are pushing nuendo as the complete replacement for it which in my opinion doesn't make sense, but since they are german, what do you expect. :P

Dan Hong
10-14-2003, 08:02 AM
Unfortunately, others liked these audio programs too! Sonic Foundry is now owned by Sony, and Cool Edit has become Adobe Audition. I think plugin support is our best bet.

djlithium
10-14-2003, 09:55 AM
Yeah I think so too.
The Toaster need to simply route the audio out to DX or VST plug-ins in rack like in the mastering section of Wavelab or Cubase SX.

All the other controls of pan, volume and what not from VT-Edit should remain in that environment on the timeline because you have control over it. What would be needed from there is an "aux" spline to send the audio on that track out to the VST plug in stack. I am not asking for full on midi or controller functionality of the plug-in settings, but enough control on how much signal for each is sent to the rack.

The final trick is to get Toaster to understand that routing the audio through this rack is going to delay the audio behind the video as it is processed so some form of ASIO Full Duplex Direct X compensation calculation will have to happen in order to get things to sync up correctly or you hit "render" on the rack and all the audio tracks that send FX'ed signal to the rack are cooked down and finalized with some option to undo the whole process or revert back to the original audio material.

This IS the correct approach in doing this.

Don't get any ultra creative ideas on putting out your own architecture. This is a faster and more stable path then anything else I can think of.

Please please don't re-invent the bloody wheel.