PDA

View Full Version : export to some kind of video file?

Glenn1990
01-12-2011, 06:12 AM
So i've made my model and appropriate scene complete with camera and object movements.

I've been able to render a frame and save it in picture form however when i do the same with 'render scene' I cant seem to save all my frames as some form of video file.

Could anyone show me what im doing wrong?

Thank you.

Glenn1990
01-12-2011, 06:19 AM
As is the case with most posts I make about getting help for computer programs, I figured out how to do it moments after posting. Haha.

For anyone else who was having this issue and to make this topic slightly useful in the future the solution is below.

I clicked the 'Render' Tab at the top, then 'Render Globals' button under option on the left of the screen.
A popup window will appear, on this window the final tab listed is 'output', click that.
Tick the 'Save Animation' ticky box and just to the right of that is a drop down menu named 'type'.
From this you select the type of output file you want it to create. For me this was AVI which is viewable in common aplications such as windows media player and VLC player.

Hope this helped anyone who might have ran into this problem.

RudySchneider
01-12-2011, 09:40 AM
Good that you got things sorted. Though, many would suggest that you save out the individual frames, and composite them into a video after-the-fact. The primary reason for doing it this way is that it
1) prevents loss of rendered frames if a computer crash occurs, and
2) allows you to tweak different sections or frames of the animation without having to re-render the whole thing.

fgreen
01-14-2011, 12:57 PM
Another good reason to do single frames is to avoid quality loss due to file compression. The AVI format usually defaults to a lossy codec. If you are going to use it you need to select "full frames uncompressed" under the file options.

Another pitfall of rendering directly to video is that the resolution of the animation must match the size and aspect limitations of the codec. Some are pretty flexible while others have to be exactly correct or the render process fails.

jeric_synergy
01-14-2011, 01:44 PM
Short version: ALWAYS render frames, not animations.

prometheus
01-15-2011, 12:02 PM
Short version: ALWAYS render frames, not animations.

Absolutly, except I usually do some voxel render or fluid render previews directly in viper, and from there saving out quicktime anim previews, or for 64 bit system the Avi format.

since itīs already rendered and finished in viper, It could only hurt if something crashes the few seconds Im saving the file wich rarely/ever happens.
quicktime codecs are already secured for a good preview.
(Viper animation setup is not the same as in the render globals, you set that up within options in viper)

Edit..but generally..set lightwave up to render out to image format such as tga, Use a composit program like after effects, and select the first frame, after effects will load
the following frames automaticly if that is checked, and off you go to tweak your animation as you like.

Michael

dwburman
01-16-2011, 12:28 PM
A while ago, I put together a short (and silent) tutorial on using Layout to make an image sequence and then convert that sequence into an .avi.

http://dwburman.com/tutorials/lightwave/10-lw-image-sequence-to-movie-files.html

jeric_synergy
01-16-2011, 12:40 PM
I believe another advantage to cash-strapped users is at that point you can use Virtual Darkroom to process your renders, without destroying the originals, and it's very fast.

For those who can't afford AE.