PDA

View Full Version : Toaster Edit will freeze during audio playback

DistanceEd
09-27-2003, 10:16 PM
Here's my newest compalint. While in toaster edit, sometimes the if I play a few edited clipts along with music, I can't stop toaster edit from playing. The console freezes up and doesn't do anything until the full project ends. Then, after the music (or a video clip late in the timeline passes) it decides to perform all of the operations (the ones that I tried to do during the playback fiascos). Basically, if I want to listen to the first 30 seconds of a 30 minute project, and there's some audio/video 30 minutes down the time line, it won't "unlock" until it's passed all clips in the entire project. The best part is, this problem is intermittent. Is there some glitch or (lemme guess) the one with the only problem like this?

My odds are on the side of the latter.

Thanks
Mark

Danner
09-28-2003, 01:41 AM
All I can think of is to have latest DirectX and Media Player and If you are using Mp3s convert them to wavs.

kleima
09-28-2003, 08:13 PM
Might need to reinstall.

DistanceEd
09-29-2003, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the replies to both Danner and Kleima. Danner, I will try the new version of DirectX. As far as the file type, I am already using a *.wav file.

Kleima, I just did a clean reinstall about a week ago.

Any more advice would be GREATLY appreciated and thanks again to both of you.

GregGerlach
09-29-2003, 09:06 PM
I had some problems with VT3 locking up when editing audio clips. When I upgraded to Windows Media Player 9, the problem went away.

Greg Gerlach
Lexington, KY

DistanceEd
09-30-2003, 04:36 PM
Ok, new question. I have the drives partitioned. I have the Toaster Application in a separate drive by itself, since it's been known not to play nicely with other programs. Should I install WMP9 and DirectX in the C partition where I have Windows installed or in the partition holding the Toaster?

Probably a novice question, but I've had more problems with this system than I can shake a memory stick at.

Thanks for all the feed back!

Mark

kleima
09-30-2003, 09:04 PM
Well I hate to tell, but it doesn't matter one bit whether the VT is on the system partition, or another. And, it doesn't matter one bit which partition the WMP9 and DirectX are on. The reason is, that regardless of where a program is installed, some of the files will ALWAYS be installed on the system drive, in the Windows folder and registry, etc. If there is going to be a conflict between two programs, it will be a conflict in the registry, or between dll's in the Windows folder, so the conflict will occur regardless of the installation location.
Also, the VT doesn't have any particularly hard time with conflicts with other application (not any more than other application - actually, less). The programs it does have a problem with are usually poorly written, or programs that cause similar problems with other applications besides the VT. Packet writing software is a good example (such as Direct CD). AFAIK all packet writing software causes problems with video editing programs, VT or otherwise.
I know, of course, that this doesn't help you one bit with the problem you're having.
BTW, if you do a uninstall, make sure you follow right procedures for doing that, or you will have problems with the reinstall.
You should be able to find the protocol by searching this forum.
Also, posting your system specs would be helpful in trying to track down the problem.

kleima
09-30-2003, 09:16 PM
check this thread: http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4102&highlight=uninstall

DistanceEd
09-30-2003, 10:11 PM
Well, to respond to your first issue, I have, in fact, found that the VT2 does have "issues" when other programs are installed. Real Producer, for example, was the culprit for a few problems I was having. What I did not realize was that this program (Real) is very invasive and caused problems with VT2. After uninstalling it I no longer had certain problems. The nature of the Real Producer was explained to me by a support technician and I haven't heard that Real products were poorly written. Furthermore, I have noticed that certain parts of the Toaster will not respond if I run other programs such as Media Player without rebooting. Suffice it to say, from the experience I've had, it does not seem that the inherent nature of the Toaster is as user friendly as some may believe.

As far as the uninstall procdedures are concerned, I didn't realize it was necessary to edit the registry, so I whole-heartedly appreciate the info concerning that.

In any event, I have installed both DirectX and WM 9 Encoder and am still having the same problems.

Thanks for the advice.

JReble
10-01-2003, 07:42 AM
Well regarding the audio issue; I have noticed a tendancy in the Toaster system that maked media player refuse to play audio files after you've played several previously. For example, when previewing audio clips in media player by simply clicking on the audio files (Wav, MP3, whatever) you can play maybe 10 to 12 of them, then thereafter windows media player gives you an error and refuses to play any more files until you reboot. This was the case with T2 and T3 even with the latest Dirext x drivers and MP9. I don't have this issue on any other system and I have to conclude it's related to using the Toaster board as an audio card. It's like it fills up some buffer and will not take any more data.