PDA

View Full Version : modelling a shield

Hanek
09-27-2003, 08:46 PM
Hi there

I'm having trouble modelling a medieval shield and hoping someone can help me out with a method to get me going.

The system i have been using is...
- pen tool; plot outline of shield
- extrude tool; give it some substance
- bevel tool; create a thin outline ridge on the face of the shield for the metal brace

Basiclly this should give me the shape i need at which point it's just a matter of placing it into Layout and polishing it up. However; when i hit the magical nurb key "tab" it turns into a monstrosity.

Due to the initial poly that i made for the outline of the shield, the vertice count is over 4 which is making a mess. When i try to triple the poly it still makes a mess.

The other problem is that when i hit the tab key, i lose the sharp corners that i need to give the shield some definition. Can this be resolved by adding additional segments to the corners?

I would really appreciate any advice i could get, preferably a step by step approach to get me going.

Thanks for your time in advance.

Hanek

Macet01
09-27-2003, 09:25 PM
I ran into this very same problem. Let me tell you it was a pain in the a** to get straightened out. Here is what I am assuming about your model:

1. The front of the shield is one large n-gon (more than 4 points)
2. You are getting horrendous smoothing errors.

So, now for a solution:
1. Make the n-gon for the front of your shield
2. Bevel out the shield for it's thickness
3. Delete the front n-gon
4. At the corners of your shield, where you want the sharp edges, use the knife tool to add additional geometry around the corners. The closer you knife to the corners the better.
5. Hit tab and turn the object into a sub-d object.
6. Freeze the geometry
7. Go to Pictrix (http://plaza17.mbn.or.jp/~PICTRIX/index2.html) and download the plugin called OES_lt 140 and add it to the plugin list in Lightwave.
8. Select two points on the edge where you want the front of the shield to be and activate the plugin. Make sure that it is in select mode with reverse select checked. This will make sure that it will pick the points in the right order to have the n-gon that you are about to make facing the correct direction.
9. Depending on how many points there are this plug could take a few minutes to select the points. Once it has completed make sure that there are less than 1024 points selected. I do believe that this is the max amount of points for an n-gon.

If there are less than 1024 points:
10. Hit p to make a poly and there you go.

If there are more than 1024 points:
10. Deselect half of them with the lasso tool and hit p.
11. Select two more points on the edge w/o the poly and repeat steps 8, 9 and 10.

This will give you a watertight model. This is important if you are going to be doing any closeups of the shield. Is this the best way.....probably not but it did meet my needs.

Oh, and by the way, make sure that you save regularly. In working this out, I had Modler cr*p out on me a few times and I had to start over.

PM me if you have any questions.

Hanek
09-28-2003, 03:15 AM
Wow, thanks Macet.
Nicely written and best of all.... helpful !

Yes, i had the same troubles you seem to had and the plug-in, as well as your advice, worked great!

Thanks again for your time.