PDA

View Full Version : Render Problem

joney
01-10-2011, 04:41 PM
Attached is a jpeg file that shows a sequenced image that I am rendering to an avi file. Attached also is a segment of the avi file that show the quality that I am getting. The compression codecs that are available to me in Lightwave 9.6 are:

Microsoft RLE, Microsoft Video 1, Intel IYUV codec and Full Frames (Uncompressed). When I render in Full Frames (Uncompressed). I can't play the file back on Windows Media Player. When I use Microsoft RLE or Microsoft Video 1 with compression set to 0% I get the quality that is in the attached avi file. The other codec Intel IYUV gives me something worse. What do you recommend that I can get the jpeg quality with?

Sarford
01-10-2011, 04:45 PM
Don't you have the Adobe Production Suite? They have a pretty good compressor.

Sensei
01-10-2011, 07:03 PM
You need to download codecs from Internet such as www.divx.com or so. Then your list of supported compression algorithms will grow..
I normally make .mov anims in LW, but now tried AVI plugin and picked up DivX 6.8.5 Codec (1 logical CPU). Made 10 frame anim. And it works fine in WMP/AlShow.

Skonk
01-13-2011, 04:47 PM
The problem you face when using AVI is that the best codecs require a lot of tweaking of settings and multiple passes to get the best results; so not practical to output directly to from Lightwave.

So it's safer to output as still images and then compile the AVI/WMV afterwords in another program (such as Adobe Premiere).

Personally, if I CBA with all that and just want to render directly to video; I use quicktime (as much as I hate it) because it has a few codecs that produce good image quality with some compression without much messing about.

I tend to use Sorenson 3 (which is a legacy codec now and has to be enabled in the quicktime options, in the control panel).

The files arn't tiny but the image is perfect and the files are much smaller than uncompressed at least.

If I need to; then I convert it to h.264 using quicktime pro; which allows me to then take my time with the settings and use a multi-pass encode to get the smallest file size/best image quality.

Skonk.

3DGFXStudios
01-13-2011, 05:09 PM
You shouldn't render to avi in the first place. Always render to image sequences and then make a movie of it in AE or something else. Even the quicktime player can do that (pro only)

wrench
01-14-2011, 04:37 AM
Once you have rendered all your frames out and want to use LightWave to compile them into an animation, make sure you use the DirectShow (.avi) option, not the straight AVI output method. That will give you access to all the DirectShow codecs you have on your machine.

B

IgnusFast
01-14-2011, 09:17 AM
I'm with some of the others. I've never found Lightwave's video codecs to be reliable enough for use; especially if something happens in the middle of the render(s). If you've output the animation directly from Lightwave, you're screwed.

I always render out frames (usually 24bit .bmp) and then use an external program (Quicktime Pro is a good cheap way of doing it) to render the frames as an animation.

speismonqui
01-21-2011, 09:19 AM
this could be a cheaper alternative to Adobe Products or Quicktime Pro, this one is free
http://download.cnet.com/Image-Sequencer/3000-12511_4-10616785.html