PDA

View Full Version : 24bit audio

phillydee
01-10-2011, 01:14 PM
No support currently (LW10) to use 24bit audio.... anyone else get an audio file from a client only to find it's 24bit? Would be nice to support 24 even 32bit float WAV/AIFF audio files.

Netvudu
01-10-2011, 02:53 PM
uh....I think thatīs not too fair. Many old audio cards still cannot even play them. I mean, this is not an audio software.
Besides, why would anyone want to use an audio file that dragged the machine performance in a 3d package? You just want the timing. IMO you should quickly convert it to something really lo-fi and if panning isnīt important make a mono version, so itīs even smaller...

phillydee
01-10-2011, 02:59 PM
well, I was more just wondering if it was possible; I just went through maybe 30 small clips all having to convert bit depth--and don't get me wrong, I wasn't complaining about LW not being able to read the sound files. I was just wondering, since WinAmp can play them back just fine(just through my default Windows 7 driven onboard Realtek sound card) shouldn't it be just an updated .dll file in order to read 24/32bit sound files? Just askin', that's all. Seems like you don't necessarily *need* a high end card in order to read it, no?

Netvudu
01-10-2011, 04:40 PM
I agree to a extent. I think my reply was more in the vein of "Iīd rather have them fix any of the other of myriad things I consider way more important"
Of course, if it was just a trivial thing, I do agree with you.

phillydee
01-10-2011, 04:43 PM
It would be interesting too to find out if other big packages can load up greater bit depth audio, even MP3 files. One less step to have to cross-convert audio data before you even get it loaded up into your animation package... Again, more of a discussion thought rather than a feature demand, heh...

Cheers