PDA

View Full Version : Any painting Tut's?

ub52
02-28-2003, 11:00 AM
OK, I went for the 2.5b upgrade from Lightwave cause I mainly wanted some compositing capability. I've been a long time Photoshop user, and do not have AE. MY question is, now that there is this plugin which will bring a projection map of a mesh into Lightwave, are there any tut's on painting textures in Aura?

Thanks.
-ub52

stoehr
03-26-2003, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by ub52
OK, I went for the 2.5b upgrade from Lightwave cause I mainly wanted some compositing capability. I've been a long time Photoshop user, and do not have AE. MY question is, now that there is this plugin which will bring a projection map of a mesh into Lightwave, are there any tut's on painting textures in Aura?

Thanks.
-ub52

Not that I know of, but then, you already know I'm going to make a tutorial. Hopefully I can help you out. I want it to be a good tutorial, so I'm still learning a few parts of Aura I want o talk about. You might know what I'm talkin' about by the time I finish my tuts!:)

ub52
03-26-2003, 09:52 AM
Thanks Matthew. I've been following the progress on your Troll. It is coming along nicely. I really like the color map, it is very well suited to the character.

I don't now if you've seen my recent post of the portrait I did of Jack Nicholson. I was able to use Aura to paint the bump , diffuse and specular maps. The brush tip control in Aura seems much better than Photoshop's for painting these types of maps. I did the color map in Photoshop as that is what I'm most comfortable with. The ability to blend color layers in PS just seems easier at this point. I'm not even sure if Aura can do the same kinds of things. If so, I'd love to learn how. I have also not figured out a way to do some of the image processing that can be done in PS. For instance I uses Levels a lot in PS to increase contrast and push the black and white points of an image into the range I want them to be in. I'm not sure how I would do the same thing in Aura.

Best regards, and looking forward to any light you can shed on improving my use and understanding of Aura.

- ub52

SBowie
03-26-2003, 10:18 AM

For instance I uses Levels a lot in PS to increase contrast and push the black and white points of an image into the range I want them to be in. I'm not sure how I would do the same thing in Aura. There are several ways to adjust levels in Aura. Two of the simpler ways: use the named filter Color>Color Adjust, or click and drag (right or left buttons work differently) in the window of the Color>LUT filter.

stoehr
03-28-2003, 12:53 AM

I don't now if you've seen my recent post of the portrait I did of Jack Nicholson.

- ub52

I must have missed the post. Can you give me a link?

ub52
03-28-2003, 09:31 AM
No problem the thread is right here (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2311).

-UB52