PDA

View Full Version : Workflow/Tools for Poly Reduction - 3DC to LW?

JBT27
01-09-2011, 08:22 AM
I'm sculpting a mesh in 3DC (not voxels, just mesh sculpting) and looking at poly reduction once the mesh is imported back into LW.

I've got a topo mesh now that is 2.2 mill polys out of 3DC. I need to at least half that, ideally quarter it. Qemloss won't handle it - 64bit LW, 8Gb RAM - crashes Modeler every time. Tried it on 9.6 and 10. Any ideas for other poly reduction tools in Modeler?

There's retopo in 3DC I guess, but I was looking for a quicker solution than effectively rebuilding the mesh. Qemloss would be the ideal, but it seems like a non-starter for this.

Thanks.

Julian.

JeffrySG
01-09-2011, 08:53 AM
Doesn't the new 3DC have some really great auto-retopo tools? I thought someone posted a video of them here somewhere?

edit - on the main page for 3DC there is a video of them - 'auto-retopo' towards the bottom...

JBT27
01-09-2011, 09:09 AM
It does, but they only work from a voxel object, at least for now.

I have tried taking these base meshes and merging them into a voxel object for sculpting, then to auto-retopo, but 3DC seems to struggle mightily with that workflow.

Sculpting the mesh then exporting works great - it's the poly reduction back in Modeler that's letting it down.

Julian.

JeffrySG
01-09-2011, 09:33 AM
^oh I didn't know that it only works with voxel objects. :(

3DC doesn't have any poly reduction tools? I'm guessing that trying to retopo by hand is just not something you're really looking to do?

JBT27
01-09-2011, 10:42 AM
I don't think so ... not in the sense of Qemloss. Effectively, retopo is poly reduction I guess, or can be. It's just I need a quick fix for a static mesh that contains some areas of high detail, some of quite low.

That said, at this point to use the detail I sculpted, I think I'll have to do a retopo in 3DC, otherwise I'll spend more time researching than doing!

Julian.

Danner
01-09-2011, 02:49 PM
http://www.mootools.com/plugins/us/polygoncruncher/index.asps/

Polygon cruncher is really nice, not sure if it will handle your object tho. It does have a limited time demo.

zarti
01-09-2011, 02:59 PM
I don't think so ... not in the sense of Qemloss. Effectively, retopo is poly reduction I guess, or can be. It's just I need a quick fix for a static mesh that contains some areas of high detail, some of quite low.

That said, at this point to use the detail I sculpted, I think I'll have to do a retopo in 3DC, otherwise I'll spend more time researching than doing!

Julian.

try Reduce Brush in Sculptris : http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=90617

keep in mind that Sculptris triangulates all the geometry ... but is very flexible on reducing the mesh where and that much you want .

.cheers

edit : ( screeshots added )

MentalFish
01-09-2011, 09:54 PM
Edit: Never mind, all ready suggested/tried.

Greenlaw
01-09-2011, 10:22 PM
Couldn't you cut up the geometry into smaller sections and then apply polygon reduction to each section separately. When you're done, you can stitch them back together. This will certainly destroy your UV maps but you can easily create new maps in 3DC and then bake any existing textures from your 'hi-poly' mesh to your new 'low-poly' mesh. I've done this sort of mesh-to-mesh baking in Modo (it's very easy in Modo,) but I'm almost certain 3DC can do it too. I believe even Lightwave can do this.

Hope this helps.

G.