PDA

View Full Version : Animated Arrows Whats the best approach

Nigel Baker
01-09-2011, 07:00 AM
Hello All,

I am looking for the best way to approach animating animated arrows.
Ones with an arrow head that travels from point A to point B growing all the time until it arrives at its destination and also leaves its tail behind too show where it came from.

Any suggestions or pointers towards any current tutorials would be appreciated.

Regards,
Nigel

cresshead
01-09-2011, 07:07 AM
maybe best would be a texture arrow mapped into a poly ribbon with opacity and animated along it's path

JBT27
01-09-2011, 07:08 AM
There's probably alot of ways, but the one I use most is to create a poly strip, as a straight band, apply a UV, subD the strip, then deform the strip to whatever path I want the arrows to take, making sure each segment is similar in size/area.

Then set up a node tree in Layout where you can animate the arrow(s) doing whatever you need.

Last year we had to show the path of steam and water through a boiler and steam engine, and this is how we did it, given that the paths were curved and twisted through pipes and whatnot.

Does that make sense? I can do you a sample, but you might have to hang on a few hours as I'm busy - sorry! Chances are there's mind-numbingly simpler ways too which are beyond me :D

Julian.

zarti
01-09-2011, 07:10 AM
Afair , hunt for Trail plugin from Dstorm web page .

It is pretty simple but is way more fast than lw-s Serpent plug .

.cheers

Nigel Baker
01-09-2011, 10:12 AM
Hello All,

Thank you for the speedy reply.
I will look at them all and see which ones I can manage best and also get the job done.
JBT I appreciate the offer of the small tutorial, if it is not too much trouble and you feel up to it, every little help would be appreciated.

I will keep looking so if anyone has any more ideas please post them.
This must be a very common demand since you see it in documentaries and the sort.

Thank again to all.
Regards,
Nigel

JBT27
01-09-2011, 12:58 PM
OK ... I'll see if I can sort that out for you this evening.

Julian.

zarti
01-09-2011, 01:19 PM
found the Trailer plugin .

plugin link : http://www_test.dstorm.co.jp/english/plugin/displace.htm#Trailer

info : http://www_test.dstorm.co.jp/archives/plugins/Trailer/doce/index.htm

.cheers

JBT27
01-09-2011, 03:31 PM
Here you go. Can't promise it makes sense or anything, but hope it helps you out!

Julian.

Edit: Just realised I did the scene and object in LW10, so if you're not using that yet, you'd better yell and I'll set it up in 9.6.

Nigel Baker
01-09-2011, 04:14 PM
Hello Chaps,

Many thanks on this and all your time.
I really appreciate it. I will have a look at it tomorrow.

Regards,
Nigel

archijam
01-10-2011, 01:36 AM
I have used the morph technique, works well in most cases, especially where the arrows stay flat. Don't like the idea of bones for this.

Tip: Several of these techniques work well with motion blur preview in open gl- can be very hand in the setup stage ..

Nigel Baker
01-10-2011, 04:19 AM
Hello Archijam,

Yes I have been thinking of the morph approach but some of the arrows will definitely arch from point A to point B. So I was wondering how to do that arch part.

Still thinking, any more suggestions please post them It would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Nigel

erikals
01-10-2011, 10:51 AM
check,
Introduction to Serpent:
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77002

Nigel Baker
01-10-2011, 04:17 PM
Hello Erikals,

Thank you for that I was looking for some but did not know what it was called.
Much appreciate the tip.

Regards,
Nigel

hunter
01-10-2011, 05:52 PM
As has been posted. trailer works great way better than serpent. And you could also use a plugin named fertilizer.

Nigel Baker
01-12-2011, 10:50 AM
Hello Hunter,

Where is this Fertiliser plug-in.
Is this native to LW or a third party one.
Thanks for the posting.

Regards,
Nigel

hunter
01-12-2011, 11:20 AM
It's a third party. Fertilizer tutorial (http://www2.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~goetsch/Fertilizer/)
I'm not sure if it's 32 or 64 bit. I still think Trailer is the best though.

StereoMike
01-12-2011, 02:15 PM
Fertilizer is great at growing all kinds of stuff, but you don't have control over the head of your rail or arrow. But you could animate a separate head according to the leading section.