PDA

View Full Version : LW and FBX tutorials

RebelHill
01-07-2011, 07:21 AM
Hey there.

So i decided to do some updates to my previous couple of videos detailing the workflow for exchanging FBX mocap data in and out of LW. The new updates cover a couple lil technical issues, as well as the process for working with FBX in LW10, as well as exchange with Animeeple, for those folks looking for a low cost alternative to MotionBuilder for retargeting motioncapture onto their own characters.

These are parts 3 and 4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iqFP3I5-78
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD_POjahloQ

Enjoy.

dballesg
01-07-2011, 07:23 AM
Thanks a lot for these Craig.

David

OnlineRender
01-07-2011, 07:48 AM
Stunning cheers !

forwarding to the "The Wire"

OnlineRender
01-07-2011, 08:01 AM
you need an edit paste l-script "6 min video 2 " , nice cheers much !

kosmodave
01-07-2011, 09:09 AM
Thanks for this Craig,
hows RHigitPro progressing as I am very keen to purchase that one. Or has LW10 thrown up to many issues with the slowdown with hierarchies etc, if so we can still use it in LW 9.6 hint hint :) .

Dave

Greenlaw
01-07-2011, 09:28 AM
Thanks for posting these! The advice you and Cageman have given me for prepping and using FBX has been extremely helpful on my project.

If anybody here is serious about Lightwave character rigging, I highly recommend getting RH's rigging course. :thumbsup:

G.

Cageman
01-07-2011, 01:32 PM
Hey there.

So i decided to do some updates to my previous couple of videos detailing the workflow for exchanging FBX mocap data in and out of LW. The new updates cover a couple lil technical issues, as well as the process for working with FBX in LW10, as well as exchange with Animeeple, for those folks looking for a low cost alternative to MotionBuilder for retargeting motioncapture onto their own characters.

These are parts 3 and 4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iqFP3I5-78
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD_POjahloQ

Enjoy.

Hmm..

Why don't you just merge motion envelopes directly from the FBX? There are a bunch of steps that you shouldn't have to do, and for all my tests I never got a problem with animations not merged onto the bones/joints using the FBX directly.

EDIT: This of course, when using LW ->MBuilder -> LW pipeline. :)

Greenlaw
01-07-2011, 01:59 PM
This of course, when using LW ->MBuilder -> LW pipeline. :)
Yes, Rebel Hill's LW -> Animeeple -> LW solution is brilliant! I'm sure the Animeeple devs will fix the FBX issue eventually, but in the meantime RH's fix is a great solution for Animeeple users.

G.

RebelHill
01-07-2011, 06:06 PM
Why don't you just merge motion envelopes directly from the FBX?

Because the hierarchy naming will be wrong, due to the fbx-bone-standin addition, and MME won't work.

RebelHill
01-08-2011, 07:07 AM
Oh... that is using the Valkyrie toolset ofc...

You can merge directly from the fbx if you're using the autodesk fbx export/import/merge plugins for LW, that also works fine, but only with the MB workflow, Ive not been able to either get anything exported from LW into animeeple, nor back again using those plugs.

MaDDoX
01-08-2011, 10:44 AM
So i decided to do some updates to my previous couple of videos detailing the workflow for exchanging FBX mocap data in and out of LW.
Great stuff as usual RH. Just to add up to your conclusion, there's another reason why it's very important to keep the 90/0/-90 rotation order at the hips/root of your character before exporting it to Mobu. It allows you to, once the FBX is brought back to Lightwave, use IKBooster to tweak some pose - IKBooster won't allow you to change the rotation of anything that's got a plugin driving its rotational input, including the rotation order plugin.

I like being able to fine tune some frame pose with IKB, especially some appendage like a tentacle or ponytail or the upper torso parts since they don't (necessarily) require IK. From there on I delete a range of the baked in frame-by-frame keyframes, to allow regular interpolation to take place. That allows me to customize things better and clean up a bit the "mocap look" that pure mocap presents.

Of course I can do this in Mobu as well, at least for the arms etc, it's just nice not being 100% locked in the imported FBX animation and being able to change something in Lightwave itself without always having to re-import the animation.

Cageman
01-08-2011, 08:38 PM
Oh... that is using the Valkyrie toolset ofc...

You can merge directly from the fbx if you're using the autodesk fbx export/import/merge plugins for LW, that also works fine, but only with the MB workflow, Ive not been able to either get anything exported from LW into animeeple, nor back again using those plugs.

Strictly speaking LW ->MBuilder ->LW workflow here...

I've been testing Valkyrie with Merge Only Motion Envelopes quite a bit selecting the FBX directly, and I have so far not encountered any problems. I'm not sure why, but it does seem different in function. All the endjoints do get the correct animation applied even if an Import do things differently (adding extra jonts at the end of each chain, so to speak).

EDIT: Oh and since I do alot of work that requires me to transfer both rigs and weights over from Maya to LW, I tend to use Legacy (32-bit plugin) toolset as well as Valkyrie + L-scripts to create "custom rigs" in LW that can then be used with MBuilder to map mocap from the same source but export it to both LW and Maya and get the same results in both apps.

EDIT2: Take a look at this video: http://hangar18.gotdns.org/~cageman/LightWave10/LW10_Mocap_workflow_with_MBuilder_joints.mp4

geo_n
01-08-2011, 09:09 PM
Excellent tutorial.
I hope Leslie and the Animeeple guys are watching this thread.

MaDDoX
01-12-2011, 11:33 AM
Wow, amazing finding Caveman! Could it be any simpler? :) I wonder if the same procedure works between Lightwave and Maya. Oh, I also noticed you've got (apparently) the same deformation in Mobu than what you get in LW.

I haven't got the time to test it in depth myself tbh, but does it mean that Newtek completely fixed the dynamic weights to weightmap exporting, or have you created weightmaps manually and enabled 'use weightmaps only' for all bones?

RebelHill
01-12-2011, 01:19 PM
Ok... I see what you're doing different here, and yes, done a certain way you can get a merge directly from the fbx (it seems that it has to do with how you have things setup/applied in MB).

However do still notice that in your vid there, the orientation of the hips is still wrong... Y is frowards/backwards and X is up... this goes back to the same old mess of having to use a copy object on its side in order to match up correctly with the joint hierarchy... which is a real messy way of having to work between the 2 packages, imo.

I'll put up a lil vid showing whats going on with this merge thing, and also explaining the weightmap issue as soon as I get a lil time to.