PDA

View Full Version : Tool Shed Causing A Crash

Smcvicar
01-07-2011, 07:13 AM
I keep having a problem whenever I try to access my user spline presets in my Tool Shed...it crashes everytime all of a sudden. I can access all of the other tools without a problem...it's just the ones that I created that cause the crash. So I figured I would just delete all of the ones that I created and see if that fixed the problem. Unfortunately I can't find them on my C drive. Where do I need to go to be able to delete my settings and start fresh? Any help is much appreciated.

ted
01-07-2011, 11:46 PM
Open the toolshed. With no clips selected on the timeline, select the effect of choice and hit "Delete" at the bottom between "New" and "Perform".
Best of luck.

Smcvicar
01-08-2011, 11:47 AM
Thanks for your reply Ted. I tried that but it won't let me access my user splines at all...it crashes almost immediately.

I did find the folder where they should be...

C:\Program Files\NewTek\VT5\Skins\TEdToolshed\PlugIns\UserSpl inePresets\Default\Normal

but my presets aren't there...just a bunch of icons for the tool shed itself. I've really become dependent on the tool shed...especially for certain projects with repetitive transitions.

Scott

Jim_C
01-08-2011, 12:21 PM
this is a post from way back during vt3 days but might still help...

>>navigate to
C:\VTx\User Data\(Name of User)\Spline Presets
and pick and choose what you would like to send or add or delete.

To better organize them you can also do this:

Close ToolShed from within VT.

Navigate to your user tool shed directory.(See above)
Rename them all with common descriptive words in front ie.
Audio_Slow Fade 40 frames
Audio_-6 db
Color_Fade to BW 10 frames
Color_ALL BW
PIP_Right Corner
PIP_Center
Layer Settings_LOW
Layer Settings_High and ISS
Move_Drop front 15 frames Promo Oct 05
Move_Spin In 6_25_04
Crop_DVD safe area
etc

Now remove them all from that directory and store them somewhere else temporarily.
Reopen toolshed which should now be empty.
Close toolshed.
Move presets back to their original directory.
Reopen toolshed.
Presets are now arranged alphabetically<<

Smcvicar
01-10-2011, 12:12 PM
Thanks for your reply Jim. Unfortunately I do not have VTx as an option...just Newtek. I can find all of the default splines but none of the ones that I created. I just have a feeling that one of the recent ones that I created is corrupt and causing this trouble. I used to backup my settings before with my VT2 I believe...but now I can't find them at all. This is getting a bit frustrating...but I'll keep plugging away.

Scott Bates
01-10-2011, 12:25 PM
Try this Scott:

C:\Documents and Settings\(name of user)\Application Data\NewTek\VT[5]\Spline Presets - that's where they are on my system.

If they're not there, do a Windows Files and Folders Search for "Spline Presets" (no quotes) on your C: drive. They should be in the form of "(preset name).VT Spline Preset".

Smcvicar
01-10-2011, 12:36 PM
Thank you Scott! Not only do I love your name...I love your reply. I had found "C:\Documents and Settings\(name of user)\Application Data\NewTek\VT[5]\Spline Presets" on an earlier post but there was no "Application Data". But then when I did a search of my "C" drive it showed up. I went ahead and deleted all of my previous presets and problem fixed. Thanks again Scott.

Scott Bates
01-10-2011, 02:03 PM
It's a good day when things work! :thumbsup:

Jim_C
01-10-2011, 02:18 PM
Thanks for your reply Jim. Unfortunately I do not have VTx as an option...just Newtek. I can find all of the default splines but none of the ones that I created. I just have a feeling that one of the recent ones that I created is corrupt and causing this trouble. I used to backup my settings before with my VT2 I believe...but now I can't find them at all. This is getting a bit frustrating...but I'll keep plugging away.

ahh OK.. I knew that NT changed the directory structure with Speed Edit (Now in program files not on root, user stuff in My Docs etc) couldn't remember if also with VT5. I still have VT4 w/SE.

fwiw.. the trick to sorting them into some kind of usable list does still work. Once you add a couple dozen it gets out of control scrolling and finding them. Also now that you know where they are, it's easy to back up and share them.