PDA

View Full Version : The Making of Tron: Legacy

erikals
01-05-2011, 10:25 PM
 
Warning, MegaSpoiler...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sAZMCUOW24

 

Astralworkz
01-06-2011, 01:49 AM
The only thing I didn't like was the expressions on that young J.B face, looked to "game cinematic style" and only one thing that looked fake in the whole movie.

Top notch work from DD as always.

wrench
01-06-2011, 04:09 AM
I wonder if they did it "on purpose". That Clu needed to look slightly off as if to say "yeah, this is still the computer", because after all, there was a lot more life in Benjamin Button and that film's getting on a bit now.

B

pooby
01-06-2011, 04:48 AM
There is no way they would have done that on purpose. They tried their best for sure. Its just a lot harder than you might think.

Benjamin Button is a lot easier to do as he's old and wrinkly, which is easier, and also the acting style in BB is more gentle and pensive. (Ie, he doesnt move much and it doesnt matter)
Plus of course, we dont know what an Old Brad Pitt looks like, but we do know what a young Jeff Bridges does.

Astralworkz
01-06-2011, 04:56 AM
Yeah, hehe, was thinking the same(done or purpose) however pay attention to that guy expressions in that demo reel - they 100% match the expression on cg character(like you can distinguish each letter)

probiner
01-06-2011, 06:05 AM
Anyone else foreseeing kids hurting themselves because they jumped holding a stick so they could ride a cool motobike? :D

cresshead
01-06-2011, 07:00 AM
Anyone else foreseeing kids hurting themselves because they jumped holding a stick so they could ride a cool motobike? :D

I do hope so, children need to learn what's real and what's made up nonsense found in computer games...too much wrapping up on cotton wool [political correctness] can only lead to the dark side.

from what i've seen of Tron...it has better graphics, story, music and acting and it's shot and directed and is a great improvement over this legacy trash with is all shiny gloss and no substance what so ever...:cursin:

i had high hopes for this film....
end - of - line

IgnusFast
01-06-2011, 08:11 AM
I'm speaking as one who LOVED Tron: Legacy, so take this as you will.

I thought the *look* of Flynn/CLU's head was fantastic. The problem for me was that it didn't look like the jaw or cheeks moved properly during speech, which dropped it into the uncanny valley. Flesh isn't directly attached to bone; there's additional movement that needs to take place for it to look convincing. That's why I was so surprised to find that that they mocapped the whole thing, since it looks like they wound up leaving most of that data on the floor.

I think that's where Avatar excelled - they really nailed the facial animation.

pooby
01-06-2011, 08:49 AM
I havent seen the full TRON but from the clips I have seen I agree that Avatar is much better.
Saying that, its quite an unfair comparison as the alien-ness of the faces masks a great deal of the uncanny valley feelings you get from looking at a human.
If you look at the more Human looking characters in Avatar (Sigourney Weavers character in particular) That shows strong signs of weird and uncanny-ness too.

I did an attempt at a photoreal human a couple of years back and was surprised at just how hard it is to do. Although I'm proud of the technical achievement. Ive never showed it as putting it out for display would no doubt, invite derision.*
Everyone is an expert when it comes to faces and Its tough working hard on something and then acknowledging where your mistakes were made, but by showing it you have to endure everyone rubbing your nose in it as if the work is simply crap and thats depressing. I have admiration for any team or artist that attempt this stuff as, if you get it wrong the reaction is scorn from people who dont really know what it entails.

(*I would like to have another go now though, as I have far better techniques.)

erikals
01-06-2011, 09:20 AM
...what i wonder though, how come they don't use look-a-like stand-in actors for the 3D reference?

i never see the companies do this, and frankly it seems ignorant not too.
why didn't they have a guy that looks like the young Jeff to be a stand-in for color /lighting correction.

Matt
01-06-2011, 09:22 AM
I thought the same about CLU's face, if it was intentional to look computerised, they should have pulled back a bit more so it was REALLY obvious, because as it stands it did look like they were going for photoreal, and failed.

Maybe all the neon lighting played havoc?

BigHache
01-07-2011, 08:19 AM
Ha! I don't necessarily agree with him, but the presentation was pretty funny :thumbsup:

Red_Oddity
01-07-2011, 01:31 PM
You gotta love how Todd can't let this go : http://theabyssgazes.blogspot.com/2010/12/orange-teal-holiday-edition.html

BigHache
01-07-2011, 06:17 PM
LOL! That might be even funnier than the first.

dwburman
01-07-2011, 07:58 PM
I haven't watched the YouTube thing yet, but I did see the movie. I might go see it again in IMAX to compare.

I wasn't bothered by CLU looking a bit off b/c he was in the machine, but the young Flynn on the outside didn't work for me. I'm pretty sure they were trying for photo real.

LazyCoder
01-07-2011, 09:40 PM
Aww... DD yanked it off youtube. I really wanted to see that. :(

EDIT: AHA! http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=uhyScbAZrFs

erikals
01-07-2011, 09:45 PM
doesn't take long before someone puts it up again, does it... :]

LazyCoder
01-07-2011, 09:57 PM
haha yea. There's like 3 others.

One thing though... did they FILM this in 3d, or did they do that post conversion crap to it? I saw this yesterday in IMAX 3d, and the human faces didn't really "pop" out as much as cg clu or any of the effects. Makes me think they did a post conversion job... and not very well either. Like they just pasted the 2d film of the characters characters on a card and stuck it in the cg scene.

erikals
01-07-2011, 10:09 PM
same tech as Cameron used i see,
(or some of it at least)
http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/digital/visual-effects/are-tron-legacys-3d-fx-ahead-of-their-time-2

 

JeffrySG
01-07-2011, 10:52 PM
Aww... DD yanked it off youtube. I really wanted to see that. :(

EDIT: AHA! http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=uhyScbAZrFs

lol, thanks... it was on vimeo too then got yanked....

I just downloaded the 720p version so I can watch later and not worry about it being pulled again. :D