PDA

View Full Version : (9.6) Exporting .OBJ's...Problem...

LaughingVulcan
01-05-2011, 03:06 PM
Has anyone had a problem with the OBJ Export function in 9.6?

I'm trying to export a character to Poser 6. This character has parts defining the individual pieces Poser needs to move the character.

It's all parted out in the .lwo file, but if I export an .obj & then open the .obj in Poser, it's one piece.
I checked in TextEdit...the OBJ file has NO groups recorded.

From what I recall, it works FINE on 8.5 at home, though.

Any thoughts?

Greg :help:

evolross
03-24-2011, 03:19 PM
In the general options there's a checkbox called "OBJ One Layer", do you have that checked?

(Sorry for the late response - thought it might help another user.)

LaughingVulcan
03-25-2011, 07:28 AM
Hmm.

Tried it. It came into Poser as a single unit, but when I used the grouping tool and told it to 'spawn props', it created a copy of the character...this one had the parts.

Thanks, evolross, I'm gonna have to do a bit more experimenting...

Be well.
Greg :thumbsup::thumbsup:

evolross
03-25-2011, 11:36 AM
I've been trying to export an OBJ with layers and I found that the check box does nothing. No matter if it's checked or not, the OBJ I export comes back into LW as one layer. Maybe there's some other type of "layer" in an OBJ that some program somewhere can use...

DaveG
03-27-2011, 05:39 PM
:cursin:

I have run into the same issue with exporting to Zbrush- I am not getting the notification from lightwave about exporting with point data on one particular object.

Heeeelp!!!

I even re-created the objects parts and still no luck - I will attempt again with another object

Is there a way to reset the objects part point data?

ANYONE?

evolross
03-27-2011, 06:57 PM
So what is an OBJ layer equivalent to? A part? I'm not sure about editing parts. Check the manual.

DaveG
03-27-2011, 08:32 PM
Turns out that the Parts were being created- unfortunately I had to bring the model to Modo to export out the proper .obj

brought it into Zbrush and the polygroups finally showed up.

Dont know what happened with Lightwave but at least I have the ability to get it out if need be.

LaughingVulcan
03-29-2011, 07:57 AM
Well, worst case scenario...I've still got Version 8 LW,which STILL does the job, AFAIK.

Be well, all...and thanks for the input. Nice (Sad) to know I'm not the only one it's acting odd with.

Greg :thumbsup:

safetyman
03-29-2011, 10:16 AM
9.6 will export the parts, but you have to use something like UVMapper (free) to act as a liaison between LW and Poser. The problem I've had is in the Setup Room in Poser (v6). After working for an hour to get the bones in place, Poser still won't assign the weight maps properly and my poor figure looks like a pretzel.