PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of buying Vue9 Complete

millsron
01-05-2011, 01:21 PM
Thinking about buying Vue9 complete and using it with Lightwave. My question is would you use it for importing terrains, vegetation, etc into Lightwave, compositing into Lightwave, loading Lightwave into Vue or other?
How does it work in the above. I already know that it is not a plugin in this version and operates as a separate program.

Comments?
Ron

Greenlaw
01-05-2011, 04:01 PM
You will want to render all your Vue elements within Vue. A lot of what Vue does is procedural, so you wouldn't get the same quality exporting objects to LW and rendering there. Besides, for many environments, LW would not be able to handle that much data.

Typically, you would share camera data between Vue and Lightwave and then composite the renders. I'm not sure if Complete allows this but I think it does; you just don't have the 'sync' capability that you have with Infinite and xStream, and you can't use the Vue renderer inside of Lightwave like you can with xStream.

I'll take a closer look at the feature list later today and let you know how it compares to Infinite (what I have at home.)

Hope this helps.

G.

Greenlaw
01-06-2011, 04:12 AM
I've just been reviewing some Vue5 videos and Vue then (and now) exports terrains and vegetation into LW without any real problems
Where you might run into problems is when you use Vue's ecosystems, which can create millions of unique instances of geometry. To get this data into Lightwave for a true Lightwave render, you need to have Vue convert this data to actual objects. We had to do this on a recent job to render a specific channel in Lightwave that we couldn't get out of Vue 8.5, and the file size was insanely huge. (To be fair, Lightwave managed to render it though.) (I should also add that Vue 9 does allow us access that channel data now. Don't ask which channel because I can't remember right now.) :)

After looking at that list, I think the big limitation is the ability to share camera motion and lens data. I'm not 100% sure that Vue Complete doesn't allow you to at least import a .mot file though; I would ask in the Vue forums. If not, I suppose you could try tracking your Vue Complete renders using PFHoe or SynthEyes, either of which will create a tracked Lightwave scene for you.

G.

JamesCurtis
01-09-2011, 09:24 PM
I recently picked up on Vue9 Complete myself through the $99 sidegrade offer they ran the last month or so [may be over now though as it was only good through the end of 2010].

Haven't installed it yet because I've been busy with a few "rush" animation projects for a client.

Looking forward to using it though!!