PDA

View Full Version : Select surface by clicking in VPR

ninok5
01-05-2011, 10:49 AM
Hi All. LOVE the new VPR, very responsive and awesome. One thing that would make it that much better is to quickly be able to select the surface and object I want to modify in the surface editor by clicking or clicking with some keyboard key pressed, the surface in the VPR window. IE, see red car, click on the body and the body surface is selected in surface editor.

Also would be great if object selection in vpr, or open gl for that matter was more precise. Right now trying to select objects in open GL when you are close, often selects the wrong item rather than the thing you are trying to select. I end up switching to bounding box, or vertices mode to more accurately select, and even that sometimes isn't correct.

Now that we have VPR, isn't it possible to just look at what pixel the user clicked to figure out surface and object?

Fprime3 had an awesome implementation of this for selecting surface and objects, and holding shift would select the surface below the one you were clicking on so you could select through glass, etc.

Main reason is that I often work with cad files that have many surfaces abstractly named and it's much easier to just click them in the vpr and alter the settings than trying to figure out what surface is what. Especially when they are oddly named or you have hundreds of them.

Anyway... :)

Sensei
01-05-2011, 03:17 PM
That offers Surface Picker tool from TrueArt's Modeling Pack http://modelingpack.trueart.eu
Video http://www2.trueart.pl/Products/Plug-Ins/SurfacePicker/Graphics/Movies/SurfacePicker_2.mov

ninok5
01-07-2011, 12:02 PM
Maybe an alternative, but at $50, I don't think it's worth it. Still feel like it should be built in. :) Video is in modeler, but site says Layout. Is it for both?

Sensei
01-07-2011, 12:31 PM
In video in Modeler I am just making example object, and then clicking in Layout using Surface Picker.

JohnMarchant
01-17-2011, 07:49 AM
Already mentioned this to Rob Powers and he agree's