PDA

View Full Version : Yay, I got dual monitors.... :(

freedik
09-27-2003, 04:46 AM
Bought new gfx card yesterday and I'm using dual monitors now.
Lightwave does strange things. Popup menus("File","Modeler" etc.) don't open on secondary monitor if I click on them. Commands from menu work fine though.
Second problem is that when I click on "File" menu for example(on primary monitor), one half of the popup menu goes to other monitor, and upper part of menu goes offscreen. Which means it's impossible to get some commands. Same with "modes"(action center) menu on lower part, it goes offscreen.

Another issue...
I'm pleased to see that I can select 5k points instantly now but rotating hi poly object in modeler is even more laggy then with my previous stone-age gfx card? Is there a way to make LW take more advantage of my cards capabilities?

Oh, and the gfx card itself is Powercolor ATI Radeon 9200 VIVO with 128 MB RAM (the main reason I bought this particular card is that it has video input).

thanks in advance for any tips.

Jockomo
09-27-2003, 09:57 AM
The menu's have never worked right on dual monitors.

If you click on the far right side of the button where the triangle is, it will open correctly. I have just developed a habit of clicking there now.

Tom Wood
09-27-2003, 10:12 AM
I think this thread covers how to fix it, even though the thread started in VT discussion:

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9897

Also do a search on 'dual monitors' because it's a frequent question. In any case, it seems to be easily resolved. Mine did the same thing until I made some settings changes.

TW

papou
09-27-2003, 12:00 PM
i have a quadro card and dual monitor and no problem like that with popup...
Only little troubble with viper and preview on the screen 2.
Viper refresh black, and calculated preview is half only.
good luck

freedik
09-27-2003, 12:18 PM
Haha! Thank you Jockomo for the triangle thingy, it works!

Tom: Hmm, thanks for pointing out but I will settle with this triangle thing :) I didn't find anything particularly useful there.

Still I don't know how to improve LWs perfomance. Sure there are many topics about this but please stop flaming me if I can't find them :( It's not like I push "new topic" button before "Search".

*edit* Aww, triangle works with "file" menu but not with other menus, such as "action centre" and Construct->Additional :(
Things like that are considered bugs. It would be "nice" of Newtek to provide some workarounds or whatever.

*edit again* Here's the screenshot of what happens when i push "action centre" button.
http://www.zone.ee/freedik/aaa/desk.jpg
PrtScr saved both monitors but the second one is the problem child of course, lol.

Tom Wood
09-27-2003, 01:05 PM
Eeek, not a flame at all. I was just trying to make the point that you don't have to live with it because others have been able to fix it. :D

TW

freedik
09-27-2003, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Tom Wood
Eeek, not a flame at all. I was just trying to make the point that you don't have to live with it because others have been able to fix it. :D

TW

Yeh well, is it wrong to ask from "others" how to fix it? From "everyone else". How about you tell me the solution instead of flaming if it's so obvious?

toby
09-27-2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by freedik
Yeh well, is it wrong to ask from "others" how to fix it? From "everyone else". How about you tell me the solution instead of flaming if it's so obvious?

good lord, don't be so sensitive. He told you where to find what you need and even gave you a link, he didn't say it was 'so obvious', so how is that flaming? Is he rude not to spend a 1/2 hour re-typing a thread for you?

bloontz
09-27-2003, 05:52 PM
I tried to work around that problem using two ATI cards for quite a while and never did get it to work. I do have an Nvidia card with dual monitor support and it will work properly but only if I set it to use the monitors as one big desktop. From what I've read Lightwave doesn't enable opengl on a secondary monitor and the lightwave interface is opengl driven so the menus don't work properly on the secondary monitor. Not sure if that's true or not.

At any rate the only way it seems to work is with graphics drivers that allow you to set a dual monitor config to be seen as one large monitor.

freedik
09-27-2003, 06:03 PM
Blooontz, that is not the case. I plugged 2 monitors to one gfx card. Win2k thinks now that it has desktop of 2048x768 or smth, and LW thinks that desctop is a square or whatever.... I guess only Newtek guys can answer this one if they know workaround. Otherwise it's just another bug. Finally I wouldn't like to stop working with dual monitors cause SOME LW menus go offscreen.

bloontz
09-27-2003, 06:24 PM
In your display properties, does it show your primary monitor as 2048x768 with the secondary monitor dimmed?

WizCraker
09-27-2003, 11:51 PM
another thing to remember is say you have a 128 MB card and it has dual outputs each monitor would get 64 MB.

freedik
09-28-2003, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by bloontz
In your display properties, does it show your primary monitor as 2048x768 with the secondary monitor dimmed?

No, they are looking just fine in display properties. Both 1024x768 (17'' monitors). All other programs work ok on both monitors.
Seems that noone knows the solution so I guess it's just how LW is :s

bloontz
09-29-2003, 07:15 AM
I agree it seems to be a problem with lightwaves handling of dual monitors since other apps seem to work fine with the setup. Unfortunately lightwave only seems to work properly if the graphics driver can fool the OS into thinking only one large monitor is attached. My monitors appear as described above- primary monitor as 2048x768 with the secondary monitor dimmed in the display control panel and lightwave works fine on both monitors. I don't think the ATI drivers are capable of that. Nvidia drivers are and I believe Matrox also, possibly others.

Ron Schatz
09-29-2003, 12:26 PM
yes it is the way LW is.
How ever if you spread layout and modeler to the right screen, with just the button row on the left, I have found that the button pull outs open in just left srceen fine. this leaves Most of left screen open for, well some of the many windows you now open.

When you open modeler or Layout you just slide them to the right screen, with just the button row on the left.

Tech support had tolded me that Dual moniters are not support

good luck

Vincent Brumbac
09-29-2003, 08:57 PM
You said gfx, so I'm assuming Geforce card. Set up your monitors so the left is 1 and the right is 2 with 1 as the main monitor and with 2 as the extended one. Select Disable on Full screen Device in the GeForce XXXXXX tab. It works 90% okay this way, with the exception of drop down buttons going off to the side if one does click on the edge of the button away from monitor edge.

Cheers

Vincent D. Brumback