PDA

View Full Version : Now would be a great time for SIGGRAPH 2011 CONTEST

Julez4001
01-04-2011, 02:50 PM
Now would be a great time for SIGGRAPH 2011 CONTEST

As my old thread Lightwave Contest and "That STIGMA" (very popular thread with tons of complainin') :-)
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87506
about Newtek needing to change their marketing scheme to reflect a more industry mindset (and they have), they should now try promoting a contest so that participants can have time to develop some cool stuff as oppose to the 2008 4-5 week window.

As for rules I recommend that they open up that

It must be rendered in Lightwave but it can be animated in other apps:
messiah, maya or motion builder to advertise their Exchange Tools

They can use Zbrush/3DCoat models (per their character kit)

Prizes:

Lightwave Full package of course but throw in a 3DCoat or Zbrush license.
An Adobe Production License or something with AFterEffects or its plugins
A Render machine Dual - Quad with 24 Gigs of RAM or something
A nice Video card
TRI CASTER I guess.....

Hey Rob Powers..get in on this. Maybe a trip to the Avatar 2 behind the scenes :)

robertoortiz
01-04-2011, 02:52 PM
This is an AWESOME idea

Matt
01-04-2011, 03:04 PM
Agreed, start this early!

hrgiger
01-04-2011, 03:08 PM
Yes please.

I would add that a nice prize would also be a hardcore membership with the upgrade price guarantee since by that time, hardcore memberships will likely not be available anymore through the normal method.

Traveler
01-04-2011, 03:49 PM
Sounds like a good idea. But tbh, I'm a bit confused as to what qualifies as SIGGRAPH material? Say, if an image is of LW gallery quality is that what you would be looking for? In fact, are we even talking about images or should it be animated?

erikals
01-04-2011, 04:22 PM
animated, unless it gets printed.

there also has to be some sort of quality approval.

realgray
01-04-2011, 04:25 PM
+1

BlueApple
01-04-2011, 05:13 PM
Getting started now is a great suggestion. Hopefully NT will chime in.

It must be rendered in Lightwave but it can be animated in other apps:
messiah, maya or motion builder to advertise their Exchange Tools

They can use Zbrush/3DCoat models (per their character kit)

The above kind of concerns me. While it's tough to suggest that the end piece is 100% LightWave ("No Photoshop, GIMP, etc. can be used...") what does it say if in a LightWave contest entries can be modeled and animated in ZBrush, XSI, Maya, etc. and then merely rendered in LightWave?

Kuzey
01-04-2011, 05:27 PM
There should also be a speed modelling section...just saying :hey:

Kuzey

robertoortiz
01-04-2011, 08:39 PM
Getting started now is a great suggestion. Hopefully NT will chime in.

The above kind of concerns me. While it's tough to suggest that the end piece is 100% LightWave ("No Photoshop, GIMP, etc. can be used...") what does it say if in a LightWave contest entries can be modeled and animated in ZBrush, XSI, Maya, etc. and then merely rendered in LightWave?

If this had been oe of my CGSociety challenges, what I would do is to organize it in categories.
For example
Best LW Modeling
Best LW Render
Best LW ONLY Short
Best LW Short

Dexter2999
01-04-2011, 08:41 PM
I'd love to see Deacon's thoughts on this.

hrgiger
01-04-2011, 08:43 PM
Is Deacon(David) still around? Donetta Colboch has been making the announcments lately and releasing the newsletters.

Julez4001
01-04-2011, 08:53 PM
If this had been oe of my CGSociety challenges, what I would do is to organize it in categories.
For example
Best LW Modeling
Best LW Render
Best LW ONLY Short
Best LW Short

Yeah a LW short, you have to explain what third party software you use and would automatically garnish a 2nd place spot where LW Only guarantees a 1st Place ( a computer with that 24 to 40 GBS of RAM ):jam:

I think Photoshop or After effects or Fusion or any third party compositing application should be held as a given and not the same regard as 3DSMAX or Messiah.

It still should all be rendered with Lightwave.

bazsa73
01-04-2011, 09:51 PM
I think this is a great idea.
I would exclude similar animation packages because they implement same ideas while Zb or 3dcoat are unique in their own area, no other package can do the same (AFAIK). Or rather crappily.
Lighting, surfacing, rendering all Lightwave. That's my two cents guys.
Very nice day to you all

geo_n
01-04-2011, 10:38 PM
Yes for zbrush, modo, 3dcoat for content creation. Models are generic items anyway.
No for other software used for rendering, animation as each is unique among 3d packages and its better to showcase what lightwave does and capable of in this case..

Kuzey
01-05-2011, 06:07 AM
I'd love to see Deacon's thoughts on this.

Is Deacon(David) still around? Donetta Colboch has been making the announcments lately and releasing the newsletters.

I do believe Deacon has moved onto bigger and better pastures.

I wish him the best and I hope Newtek can find someone to replace him...like sooooooon :)

PS....no pressure btw, I know Newtek are small and finding the right person can be difficult...but...but....

Kuzey

erikals
01-05-2011, 08:39 AM
maybe Oliver you're right about not excluding other packages, but if so there must be documentation on what package was used.

if the model rocks and the rendering is so-so, it'd be a bit** to find out the modeling was done in modo and the rendering was done in lightwave...

Eugeny
01-05-2011, 09:00 AM
yea, yea, contest ...

The Dommo
01-06-2011, 03:45 PM
I'm scared ...!

Lewis
01-06-2011, 04:18 PM
Golden "rule" to successful contests is PRIZE(s), so it's up to NT to decide how important is to get a lot of quality work ;).

But i like idea.

geo_n
01-07-2011, 01:38 AM
Golden "rule" to successful contests is PRIZE(s), so it's up to NT to decide how important is to get a lot of quality work ;).

But i like idea.

I agree the prize is very important motivation. Cash prize wouldnt hurt either to buy software or plugins.

Julez4001
01-21-2011, 01:06 PM
Cash is always a great defender of the creative.

Nicolas Jordan
01-21-2011, 01:57 PM
I didn't enter the last contest but I think if they had one now I would give it my best shot. :)

Svenart
01-22-2011, 06:37 AM
great idea !!!

MDSPECIFIC
02-15-2011, 05:39 AM
+1

Julez4001
02-17-2011, 09:23 AM
I think they are going to wait until 4 weeks before Siggraph before throwing a contest together ..if at all.

:devil:

Shakes head