PDA

View Full Version : Worley Labs

phoenixjf
01-04-2011, 02:11 PM
Recently, I had to switch dongles and need to get a new license no. from Worley Labs to use Sasquatch. Unfortunately, they are not responding to my emails and there is no phone number to call them. Does anyone have any ideas to get hold of them?

hrgiger
01-04-2011, 02:14 PM
How long ago did you email them? They usually, at least as of a few months back, got back to me within a day or two.

nemac4
01-04-2011, 02:18 PM
They may still be out for the holidays.

DrStrik9
01-04-2011, 02:51 PM
I sent them an email query on Dec. 10, 2010 and never heard a thing. I thought they had closed up shop.

phoenixjf
01-04-2011, 06:28 PM
I have not heard back in over three weeks

antsj
01-04-2011, 07:17 PM
I would be interested to hear if a phone number is available. I sent in a serial number request in late November and I have heard nothing either. Email address used was one on Worley current website.

aj

phoenixjf
01-05-2011, 08:38 PM
I have notified Newtek. They are trying to contact Worley Labs. Will keep everyone posted.

DMarkwick
01-06-2011, 01:45 PM
Worley Labs supplied me with a new key just before Christmas. They took about a week or so, they have to check with Newtek about the new dongle and make sure it's legit.

Simon
01-06-2011, 02:11 PM
I got a new dongle in August and they emailed me 2 days after my email with the new key so I don't think you have to worry.

monovich
01-06-2011, 06:39 PM
What does Worley Labs actually DO these days? Are they sitting there programming the latest mind blowing plugin, or are they off spending their millions? How many people actually make up "they"? Is it just the one guy?

They need to make more contact with their customers just so we have some sort of sense if Elvis has left the building or not.

Greenlaw
01-06-2011, 07:06 PM
How many people actually make up "they"? Is it just the one guy?
At least two that I'm aware of: Hurley and Worley.

I haven't had to contact them for a while but they've always been immediately responsive when I did. I'm guessing they're away for the holidays.

G.

Hopper
01-06-2011, 07:23 PM
I bought a legit copy of FPrime, complete with paperwork and registration, from a previous owner and emailed Worley Labs FIVE times since last February to get it transferred - and I have yet to receive a response. I finally had to get one of our developers to "break" it for me so I could use it with my current dongle. I have no idea were my paperwork is now, and am stuck using FPrime in LW 9.3.1 since my version no longer works in 9.6+. The only record of my registration info is now with Worley in some forgotten email somewhere. I gave up. I'm sure there's some perfectly good explanation for it, but it's a lost cause at this point. I'm still pretty pissed about it, but I still think their stuff is top notch. I'm sure you'll get it straightened out.

Hopefully I can get VPR to work correctly without crashing soon.

Hopper
01-06-2011, 08:29 PM
But if you don't have your information somewhere, well that's pretty sad. You spend decent money of these plugins and to not have this info BACKED up somewhere is pretty bad.

But seriously... you really don't have the info for this license?
All original info was placed in a firebox - one of three. Two of which were stolen out of a "secure" storage unit we used when we moved last summer. Unfortunately for me, they only keep security tapes for 30 days. All my Adobe, AD, and Microsoft licenses were also in the same box. Those have since been recovered since they were properly registered previously. Obviously, all the important paperwork (i.e. birth certificates, SS cards, marriage license, titles, etc... ) went in the big box with me in the car and are now at the bank. In comparison, software licenses are irrelevant, so while we waited for the house to be finished, it all went into storage.

Sensei
01-06-2011, 10:30 PM
I bought a legit copy of FPrime, complete with paperwork and registration, from a previous owner and emailed Worley Labs FIVE times since last February to get it transferred - and I have yet to receive a response. I finally had to get one of our developers to "break" it for me so I could use it with my current dongle.

I must say: WOW!

Public confession to stealing and hacking activity..

From software developer you don't buy software for real. You're buying license to use. PERMISSION. And you didn't get such permission.
And old user didn't have right to sell it alone. Plugin is tied to dongle for eternity, except dongle swap confirmed by NewTek staff.
He could only sell it in one case- when he was also selling whole LightWave package. But that doesn't sound like the case, because you would just use his old dongle.

Worley even warn on his website, what is kinda obvious, that generation of new license to different dongle is not possible.

Greenlaw
01-06-2011, 11:39 PM
I'm a little confused. Are you saying that the dongle you purchased was stolen too?

It's pretty clear according to the license agreement on Worley's website (http://worley.com/E/ordering.html) that all Worley plug-ins are permanently locked to a specific Lightwave dongle and cannot be transferred to another dongle.

The only exception is if a dongle malfunctions and is replaced by NewTek, in which case NewTek will have a record of the exchange, and Worley simply needs to contact them to validate a transfer. (Over the last 13 years, they've done that for me at least three times.) In other words, a third party cannot transfer just the license for a Worley plug-in, he must give you the physical Lightwave dongle it's keyed to, in which case you could just provide Worley Labs with the dongle ID and they would have a record of your license.

If the dongle was stolen, then it needs to be replaced by Newtek at their discretion. In which case, they would still have a record of the transfer, and Worley would still validate it.

In brief, if you still have the dongle you bought from the third party, Worley can recover your key code. That is of course, if you can ever get through to them. If you have the dongle, I would keep emailing them with the hardware ID until you hear from them. Try emailing them from a different email address. Like Megalodon says, it's possible that the address you used might be getting blocked somewhere. (It's happened to me.)

G.

zareh
01-07-2011, 12:25 AM
Worley has licensed FPrime to the dongle of the person who sold FPrime to you when they originally purchased it from Worley. If Worley were to give you a new license key for your dongle, now you have the same FPrime running on two dongles, your's and the dongle of the person who sold it to you. Now if you turn around and sell your FPrime to a 3rd person and they get a license from Worley now you have the same FPrime running on 3 dongles? This makes no sense. Worley sold FPrime only once to the original buyer and licensed it to their dongle. By this I mean Worley only got paid once for that copy of FPrime. They have no obligation to license the same FPrime to additional dongles.

The only situation where Worley is obliged to re-license FPrime to a new dongle is in the case of a dongle swap with NewTek. For example I swapped my old parallel dongle with a new USB dongle from NewTek. I sent them my old dongle first, and then they sent me a new USB dongle. Worley can verify this with NewTek and they sent me a new license for the new USB dongle.

At least, that how I see it.

Best Regards,
Zareh

JesterCGI
01-07-2011, 09:48 AM
They just got back to me this morning on a support question I asked last night, so I think they're back from vacation. Ya might wanna try emailing them again as I know they get Tons of emails and yours might be buried under a thousand others.

On another note... has anyone had Sasquatch lock up when adding in wind? I'm screwed if I can't figure this one out. :(

Cheers!

Greenlaw
01-07-2011, 11:35 AM
The more I think about this, Newtek's dongle system is actually pretty good.

Well, except for that time somebody got too close to the front of my computer and accidentally kicked the dongle. It's slightly bend now but luckily it still works. Now, dongles ONLY go in the back of the computer or in the hub on my desk. :)

It's been a while since I used Sasquatch Wind; I'll check later today. I'm almost sure other artists in the Box used it in the past year for grass animation though.

dballesg
01-07-2011, 01:19 PM

Two words to answer: True Hair.

David

Cageman
01-07-2011, 02:01 PM

David

Ouch... :D

JesterCGI
01-07-2011, 03:14 PM
At 19 minutes for a 640X480 frame with about a 4' x 6' feild of grass showing (when I need a large field, this really doesn't seem to be a viable option. And with a price tag of $500 for beta software... not gonna happen.

But thanks for the suggestion. I do think I may use it for hair in a mermaid movie I'll be starting on soon.

Good stuff... Appreciate it!
;)

artstorm
01-07-2011, 03:16 PM

David

Hehe.
I remember myself spending money on that one too... Oh well...

Sensei
01-07-2011, 03:22 PM
TrueHair Styler works pretty well to generate poly chains for FiberFX or SasQuatch. I checked it yesterday on LW v10 and worked much better than in previous LW releases where polygon handlers were broken (and I had to wait till NewTek fix it..). I just had to turn on Streaming in Display Options, otherwise hairs were not visible in perspective viewport.

Sensei
01-07-2011, 03:55 PM
I didn't f*k up LW causing modeling part of plugin stop working for couple years. I have a lot of feature requests and bug reports even from 2007, not touched for years.

And soon you won't have any alternatives.. ;)

Greenlaw
01-07-2011, 04:29 PM
TrueHair Styler works pretty well to generate poly chains for FiberFX or SasQuatch.
Is there a demo plug-in or at least demo video for TrueHair Styler? I'm always looking for alternative ways to style hair guides. Currently, I use FiberFX Strand Modeler or I make splines manually ala Stuart Aiken's tutorial on Worley's website.

I've even used 3D Coat's Retopology tools to create primary guides based on a hair texture provided by a client. This was done to make sure my 'real' Sasquatch hair for a hi-res cinematic character flowed the same way it did for the low-poly game engine version of the character. That was an interesting challenge and it actually worked!

Never too many tools for making 'hair' if you asked me. :)

G.

Chris S. (Fez)
01-07-2011, 04:33 PM
And soon you won't have any alternatives.. ;)

Sensei, does that mean you are going out of business?

Sensei
01-07-2011, 04:45 PM
That's example TrueHair Styler interactive hair cutting tool
http://www2.trueart.pl/Products/Plug-Ins/TrueHair/Graphics/Movies/TrueHair_CutHair_PolyChain_1.mov
At the beginning there is sphere with skin polygons with hair guides - splines. Skin polygons is place where hairs are growing. It's implemented as vertex map TrueHair Length. So you can use Map > Weights interactive tool, and reduce hair length generated in clicked location, without modifying hair guide spline.
There is a lot of such vertex maps:
Influence defining how much hair guide is affecting surrounding area.
Influence Mode, similar to Falloff in Light Properties, linear/pow2/pow3.
Influence Radius defining in what range from hair guide hairs are attracted by hair guide spline.
and this Length map, percentage, defining how much of hair guide is used by hairs.
f.e. you want to make braid, so you start with 3 points, extrude hair tool, move, rotate, and repeat couple times. Then you can tell hair generator that each of these hair guides in braid has 1 cm influence radius, and 1000% influence. So each of them will be generating f.e. 100 hairs matching hair guide perfectly, and not interfering other braid hairs.
And in Modeler viewport there will be just 3 splines to edit, in total 300 hairs, which after freezing each to 20 segments, will be 6000 2-point poly chains.
With regular work, you would have to deal with 6k polys from beginning!

I wrote to you pm.

Sensei
01-07-2011, 04:46 PM
Sensei, does that mean you are going out of business?

Me? I was not talking about myself..

Hopper
01-07-2011, 05:40 PM
I have probably well over $50k worth of software licenses that I've accumulated over the years. For ME, those other items you mentioned could be MUCH more easily replaced. For ME, my software licenses are VERY far from irrelevant. Of course, my business requires them so I have to keep them organized and know what is what and where they are. :)
I would have to agree. If it's your livelihood, it would be a huge liability to not have your licenses readily available. Monetary penalties for not being able to prove ownership would be astronomical in comparison to a couple of days of hassle trying to replace some paperwork you may not particularly need at the moment. Fortunately for me, I'm a hobbyist, so a couple hours worth of phone calls and all my license information was taken care of.

jwiede
01-07-2011, 06:06 PM
Probably just a holiday delay. Though it is getting a little long for a reply. Even though Newtek will be trying to get in touch, I would still email them yet again. They really are - at least they have been for me - really good about taking care of business. And I'm no one. :)

I mentioned this thread in an email to Worley support, and had a reply within a day or so. They're still there, still very much in business, and mentioned they'd be getting in touch with the folks in the thread having trouble reaching them.

Hopper
01-07-2011, 06:36 PM

Public confession to stealing and hacking activity..
Seriously? Don't be so obtuse.

From software developer you don't buy software for real. You're buying license to use. PERMISSION. And you didn't get such permission.
And old user didn't have right to sell it alone.
Currently you would be correct, however at the time of my purchase, you would not be. The First-sale doctrine (as it relates to software) was not overturned until September 10th of last year.

Plugin is tied to dongle for eternity, except dongle swap confirmed by NewTek staff. He could only sell it in one case- when he was also selling whole LightWave package. But that doesn't sound like the case, because you would just use his old dongle.
I bought all of his software for $800 which included LightWave, that of which was not the reason for the purchase (neither was FPrime). I already own LightWave, do not have a need for another "seat", and have no use for an old crusty parallel dongle that can't even be used because my system has no parallel ports.

Worley even warn on his website, what is kinda obvious, that generation of new license to different dongle is not possible.
Since LightWave and FPrime were not the sole targets of my purchase, the "kinda obvious" is not so obvious, hence the reason I emailed Worely Labs to see what I could do monetarily to license the software that I already had working.

If your response is an attempt to make me out as some sort of thief, software pirate, or similar ilk, then by all means post to your heart's content. You won't be hurting my feelings. I have no concerns over other people's opinions on my software purchasing habits. I buy and license ALL my software because I can afford it; and if I decide a particular piece of software is too expensive, I simply don't buy it.

As a friendly suggestion, if you consider yourself to be in the business of sales (i.e. TrueArt), you may want to take a more professional tone to your posts within a forum of potential customers. If I read your response as being abrupt and in poor taste, others may have also.

Greenlaw
01-07-2011, 06:46 PM
I already own LightWave, do not have a need for another "seat", and have no use for an old crusty parallel dongle that can't even be used because my system has no parallel ports.
FYI, you can trade in the parallel dongle for a USB one. I've done that. I think there was a fee for the exchange but it's pretty small.

G.

Hopper
01-07-2011, 07:13 PM
FYI, you can trade in the parallel dongle for a USB one. I've done that. I think there was a fee for the exchange but it's pretty small.
Thank you Greenlaw. I already have the purple rainbow USB dongle with my original LightWave purchase, so I didn't have a need for the parallel dongle. I had thought about exchanging it, but the fee, small as it is, just wasn't worth it at the time so I didn't bother.

Sensei
01-07-2011, 08:45 PM
If I read your response as being abrupt and in poor taste, others may have also.

People have their own brain to decide what they think about somebody who gave Fprime to hacker to remove anti-piracy protections.
Personally I would immediately void all your licenses, ask NewTek to cancel LW licenses and tell every developer and whole LightWave community about you. But hey, you did that already by yourself.. ;)

Andrewstopheles
01-07-2011, 09:05 PM
wow this is getting interesting...

BigHache
01-07-2011, 09:09 PM
Personally I would immediately void all your licenses, ask NewTek to cancel LW licenses and tell every developer and whole LightWave community about you. But hey, you did that already by yourself.. ;)

Wow that is really bad form, poor taste, and unprofessional. Nice work.

IMI
01-07-2011, 09:14 PM
wow this is getting interesting...

It is, isn't it? :beerchug:

Paul_Boland
01-07-2011, 09:20 PM
I contacted Worley Labs recently to enquire about the situation with Lightwave 10 and Sasquatch and I got an answer within 24 hours.

Just on a side note, has anyone else noticed that Sasquatch Lite is not part of Lightwave 10...?!? Could Sasquatch 2 be in the works, or is it being phased out!! I hope not, I love it!!

IMI
01-07-2011, 09:27 PM
Just on a side note, has anyone else noticed that Sasquatch Lite is not part of Lightwave 10...?!? Could Sasquatch 2 be in the works, or is it being phased out!! I hope not, I love it!!

Sas Lite was removed when FiberFX was introduced, around LW 9.5 or 9.6 or whatever - can't remember now.

Hopper
01-07-2011, 09:30 PM
Personally I would immediately void all your licenses, ask NewTek to cancel LW licenses and tell every developer and whole LightWave community about you.
But alas... you can't.

So I guess that's that. Have a great day. :thumbsup:

hrgiger
01-07-2011, 09:30 PM
I contacted Worley Labs recently to enquire about the situation with Lightwave 10 and Sasquatch and I got an answer within 24 hours.

And what did they say?

Personally, it matters little who does it...Worley, Sensei, Newtek, friggin Steve McQueen from the grave, whomever... a decent hair solution would be nice. Sasquatch is the best thing out there currently but it has its limitations.

OnlineRender
01-08-2011, 02:57 AM
Well... this is enough to stop me from buying ANY more of your plugins. VERY low class. Ooops... lost customer. :boogiedow

he's crying . . .

This thread is LOWest of the Low , "and I've seen some threads" .

+1 vote for closed ,before it get's petty 'opps too late"

dballesg
01-08-2011, 03:01 AM

Risking Chuck's or Steve Bowie slap here, but:

In the same way, those of us that bought a copy of TH (two in my case) and we never get a finished product, a refund or even a suggestion to exchange the purchase for other product; we could ask NewTek to ban you permanently for deceptive sales.

And because you are a 3rd party developer, I think NewTek really needs to think if they want TrueArt associated with LightWave on any way anymore.

If I were them,you will be gone ASAP.

David

zarti
01-08-2011, 03:18 AM
+1

i had some doubts but some things are a lot clearer now ...

do not lock this . erase it !

SBowie
01-08-2011, 03:57 AM
The original question from this thread has been answered long since. The requisite two sides of a snit have been established, and apart from bandwagon joining and lighting the torches, there's little left to be accomplished. I think we'll just let it die the unnatural death it deserves right here.