PDA

View Full Version : widescreen in layout, but what about modeling

lreyes
01-04-2011, 02:32 AM
I made a model in modeler and when I went to layout, I selected under the camera properties for widescreen, but when I rendered, the model seemed thinner due to the stretch. Is there a way to model in widescreen in modeler so that the model seem normal when rendered in widescreen?

Danner
01-04-2011, 02:41 AM
the problem is not the model, models are always fixed, you should tweak your pixel aspect in layout if things are not in the aspect you want.

gordonrobb
01-04-2011, 02:51 AM
Also make sure your display properties are right for your monitor

raw-m
01-04-2011, 03:09 AM
As Danner said, under Camera Properties set Aspect to 1 for square (computer) pixels.

dwburman
01-04-2011, 03:01 PM
Widescreen NTSC or PAL use the same number of pixels as full-frame NTSC and PAL, they just stretch the image out to fill the screen (the unstretched image looks squeezed). Lightwave's Image viewer doesn't compensate for this so the picture looks squeezed but if you take the same image into After Effects or Photoshop and tell the program that it is a wide screen image and set the program to preview the aspect ratio, then it will look right.

To get around that in Lightwave, you can set your pixel size to 864x486 and set the pixel aspect to 1.0 or just use one of the HDTV settings.

lreyes
01-05-2011, 12:41 AM
Thanks ya and the other posters for helping. I did what you said, I upped the size to 864 by 486 in camera properties and took the image to photoshop and Adobe Premiere editor and the image was not squeezed. I guess I have to get used to doing all my animation in this (widescreen) format and get away from doing the regular size squared animation. I have a video camera canon XL-2 and shot in widescreen all the time now, so it is time for my lightwave to catch up with doing widescreen.

gordonrobb
01-05-2011, 02:16 AM
Not sure I'm understanding the problem. You should be able to output in what ever size and or shape you want to. The choice is completely yours. Lightwave will output it in whatever way you want.

Dexter2999
01-05-2011, 02:25 AM
Also be aware about LW duplicating distortions from real world cameras. If the camera is duplicating a lens like a 28mm (a fisheye) then it will appear to stretch out your model. Because that is what a fisheye lens does.

lreyes
01-05-2011, 05:09 AM
What I really want to do is shoot video in 16:9 format (widescreen) and also have some 3-D animation in that format to fill the tv without distortion. I really would like a simple step by step work around this if possible. My video fills the screen, but would like that to happen with my animation without having the 3-d characters look slender, or squeezed.

lreyes
01-05-2011, 06:20 AM
took RAW-m reply and applied aspect ratio of 1 and it fill the screen and it looked like the characer was not squeezed. I will make a video with adobe Premiere editing ap to check it out

Snosrap
01-05-2011, 07:11 PM
NTSC devices (most video cameras) do not use square pixels.