PDA

View Full Version : Intro to Hard Surf. SubD Modeling Tutorial

JeffrySG
01-03-2011, 10:08 AM
Hey everyone,

I have a new video series that is for sale one my site.
Introduction to Hard Surface Subdivision Surface Modeling (http://www.pixelandpoly.com/video.html)

If you are familiar with my other free video tutorials and have enjoyed them you might be interested in this series. This video series covers the basics to get you started with hard surface subdivision modeling. It is presented using Lightwave 3d 9.6 and 10. The series is over 6 hours long and covers many of the techniques, tools and plugins that you'll need to learn to get started with your subd work. It also covers ways to troubleshoot your models as well as a few real world examples to get you started.

The series is geared toward people just getting started with hard surface subd modeling and people that just want a better understanding of the basic techniques to help their workflows. Before starting you should know how to use most of the tools in Lightwave and be able to find your way around but most things are explained in detail if happen to be new to Lightwave. All of the models and reference photos that are used in the main videos are included so you can open them and use them as you go through the videos.

As an added bonus I've included high resolution versions of my perfume bottle and DNA tutorials from my site for an extra hour of training bringing the total time to over 7 hours. The video series is available as a digital download only.

I'm attaching the descriptions of all of the included videos below. :)
If you have any other questions just let me know!

Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate
Time: Over 7 Hours total
Resolution of videos: 1440 x 900 pixels (the two extra videos are 1280 x 970)
Video Format: Quicktime H.264 with AAC audio
File Size: Download is 1.8GB ZIP file (three files approx 600MB ea)
Price: $23.99 US / Digital Download Only

aa1037
01-03-2011, 10:29 AM
This looks great! When you refer to plugins will they be Mac friendly?

Thanks.

Edit: Took a look at your screen shots - looks like you're on a Mac so I'm guessing everything in your course will be Mac friendly :) should have looked at them before posting.

JeffrySG
01-03-2011, 11:17 AM
This looks great! When you refer to plugins will they be Mac friendly?

Thanks.

Edit: Took a look at your screen shots - looks like you're on a Mac so I'm guessing everything in your course will be Mac friendly :) should have looked at them before posting.

Yes, I did all of the videos on a Mac. Keep in mind that the plugins are not included with the videos but I do review a bunch. They all work in 9.6 on the Mac, but I have found that the PICTRIX plugins that I use in the vids do not work in 10 on the mac - I've already told this to PICTRIX. And you always want to make sure the plugins work in either 32/64bit depending on how you work. There is one plugin that I mention that is Windows only as well.

I also try to make sure you can do all of the tasks with either native LW tools or free plugins. It's just that some of the commercial ones make things a little easier. :) Let me know if you have any other Qs.

Matt
01-03-2011, 11:27 AM
I've always liked your presentation style Jeff.

WilliamVaughan
01-03-2011, 01:57 PM
looks like a great resource!

Kuzey
01-03-2011, 03:24 PM
Ahh...looking good :thumbsup:

http://kuzey3d.blogspot.com/2011/01/new-subdivision-surface-modeling.html

Best of luck,

Kuzey

JeffrySG
01-03-2011, 04:19 PM
Thanks Matt & William! :) I have a tendency to go slow and try to explain as much as I can during the videos. Some people don't like that pace but others do. :) My main goal is for people to be able to walk away from the videos with techniques and knowledge that they can use on future projects.

@Kuzey - you da man! Thanks! That's really great that you'd post about the vids! :D

borkus
01-03-2011, 04:22 PM
That's really great news Jeff in that I have liked your tutorials for some time now. I will definitely buy them as soon as I can free some funds up. And to anyone that hasn't checked out his free tutorials please do so. They are top quality and I hope you can afford to show some support for those efforts as well. It is looking like the start of a very good new year in that so many of the people that I have come to deeply respect in this forum taking the time to make tutorials for us!!!

COBRASoft
01-03-2011, 04:57 PM
Just ordered them! I've seen the free tutorials and learned a lot from them, looking forward for these.

probiner
01-03-2011, 07:05 PM
The kind of stuff i like to mess around with. Go go SubD knowledge!

Best luck!

Lewis
01-04-2011, 02:51 AM
Looks very nice Jeff and well explained, thanks.

kallis
01-04-2011, 05:29 AM
Exactly what I needed right now, Just bought it! :thumbsup:

//KAllis

JohnMarchant
01-04-2011, 09:54 AM
Hey everyone,

I have a new video series that is for sale one my site.
Introduction to Hard Surface Subdivision Surface Modeling (http://www.pixelandpoly.com/video.html)

If you are familiar with my other free video tutorials and have enjoyed them you might be interested in this series. This video series covers the basics to get you started with hard surface subdivision modeling. It is presented using Lightwave 3d 9.6 and 10. The series is over 6 hours long and covers many of the techniques, tools and plugins that you'll need to learn to get started with your subd work. It also covers ways to troubleshoot your models as well as a few real world examples to get you started.

The series is geared toward people just getting started with hard surface subd modeling and people that just want a better understanding of the basic techniques to help their workflows. Before starting you should know how to use most of the tools in Lightwave and be able to find your way around but most things are explained in detail if happen to be new to Lightwave. All of the models and reference photos that are used in the main videos are included so you can open them and use them as you go through the videos.

As an added bonus I've included high resolution versions of my perfume bottle and DNA tutorials from my site for an extra hour of training bringing the total time to over 7 hours. The video series is available as a digital download only.

I'm attaching the descriptions of all of the included videos below. :)
If you have any other questions just let me know!

Resolution of videos: 1440 x 900 pixels (the two extra videos are 1280 x 970)
Price: $23.99 US / Digital Download Only

Just purchased it, looks good indeed.

JeffrySG
01-04-2011, 10:15 AM
And to anyone that hasn't checked out his free tutorials please do so. They are top quality and I hope you can afford to show some support for those efforts as well.
Thanks for the kind words! :)

Just ordered them! I've seen the free tutorials and learned a lot from them, looking forward for these.
Thanks, COBRASoft, I hope you enjoy them!

The kind of stuff i like to mess around with. Go go SubD knowledge!
Best luck!
Cheers, probiner! SubD power! :D

Looks very nice Jeff and well explained, thanks.Thanks, Lewis. That means a lot coming from the master! :thumbsup:

Exactly what I needed right now, Just bought it! :thumbsup:
//KAllis

Just purchased it, looks good indeed.Thanks guys, let me know if you have any questions at all.

CharlieL
01-21-2011, 09:16 AM
JeffrySG,
That was a good investment! I was sitting with a problem very close to the explanation
in the film 15-curve cutout cylinder.mov and now I feel I am on the track.
I like your pace and detailed explanation. Thank you for making these films available!

JeffrySG
01-24-2011, 09:37 AM
JeffrySG,
That was a good investment! I was sitting with a problem very close to the explanation
in the film 15-curve cutout cylinder.mov and now I feel I am on the track.
I like your pace and detailed explanation. Thank you for making these films available!

My main goal was to teach enough of the basic techniques for different situations that people could really get started with the subd modeling, so I'm really glad it was able to help you. :)

JeffrySG
02-14-2011, 09:37 AM
As it's Valentine's day today, I figured I'd run a special on this video tutorial series!

So.... SHARE THE LOVE!

If anyone purchases the videos during the promotion I will give a free copy to anyone they choose. Great way to cut the cost in half with a friend, coworker, forum member, etc.

So purchase between 2/14/11 - 2/18 /11 for this deal.
Just email me the code "SHARE THE LOVE" and the contact info of the person you want the 2nd set to go to after making the purchase. :)

Intro to Hard Surf. SubD Modeling Tutorial (http://www.pixelandpoly.com/video.html)

-

COBRASoft
02-14-2011, 04:30 PM
JeffrySG: as a happy owner of this series, I was wondering if you will make a second series in the same line, be it slightly more advanced or so?

JeffrySG
02-14-2011, 06:02 PM
^I had one idea for a possible next video series. I was thinking of moving into more of a project based tutorial. The first part would cover modeling most likely all or most in subd and the second video would cover texturing, lighting and rendering. I would sell it as two separate videos so if you could focus on either the modeling aspect or the texturing/rendering parts if you feel up to speed on modeling. Or both of course.

For the people that did purchase the videos, yourself included, is there something you'd specifically like to see? And how did you like the fact that most of the lessons were not project based but more theory based?

COBRASoft
02-15-2011, 01:38 AM
I think both project based and theory based are interesting. In the first series you gave us the basics. Now you could go further and show more difficult techniques and tricks.

Some ideas:
- Logo's (text based and AI based)
- Spline modeling?
- Texturing (with UV maps)
- Lighting (always interesting)

aa1037
02-15-2011, 07:32 AM
I really enjoyed your first series and I'm looking forward to more.

I agree with COBRAsoft - I think either/both project and theory based would be very interesting.

That being said, my vote would be for your next series to be project based as you describe it - I think that sounds great.

I also have an interest in subd typography and logos.

Thanks and keep up the great work.

JeffrySG
02-16-2011, 07:11 AM
Thanks for the ideas and feedback, guys. I'm still in the process of figuring out exactly what the next one will be but it helps to hear the ideas! :)

JeffrySG
02-16-2011, 10:07 PM
Some ideas:
- Logo's (text based and AI based)
- Spline modeling?
- Texturing (with UV maps)
- Lighting (always interesting)

Just wondering on the 'logos' topic if you were thinking of a general topic covering all things logo related or if you were thinking of subd logos specifically?

COBRASoft
02-17-2011, 04:30 AM
Subd of coarse :).

I receive logo's based on text with some lines and curves around it. Not always the most ideal logo's for trasforming in 3D I must say. But I have to find a way to make them smooth with a nice border around it. Specialy for text this is difficult. Why Subd... easier to change the sharpness of the borders.

stevmjon
02-18-2011, 10:11 PM
thanks for your video tutorial jeffrysg.

there were some things i was not sure about with subd's, but you covered them, and my understanding has gone up a notch.

i am looking forward to your next set.

thanks again stevmjon

p.s. i too would like to see text logo's covered. also, maybe even a hammer like on lightwave wiki subd.

JeffrySG
02-20-2011, 11:02 AM
@stevmjon: thanks for the feedback. :)

I'm giving more thought to the logos/letterforms idea for something in the future. :) Feel free to keep on throwing out suggestions or other specific things you might like to see covered. Thanks again guys!

jeric_synergy
02-20-2011, 01:30 PM
Jeffrey's tutorials are topnotch, and extremely clearly presented.

aa1037
06-25-2011, 05:29 PM
I just thought I'd bump this thread and see if you decided to make any new tutorials? I really enjoyed your last set and hope that you make more.

Thanks.

JeffrySG
06-25-2011, 08:51 PM
Hey, thanks for the kind words. I have a few other ideas but to be honest I haven't had the time to dedicate to really get into any of them yet. They usually end up taking me much more time than I initially anticipate and I would never want to put out something that I didn't think was a great product and value to this community.

I will definitely let everyone know when I have something ready and it it's alway a good nudge when I hear encouraging words.

Cheers!

JeffrySG
07-05-2011, 08:54 PM
Liberty3D is having a great sale on all of their products and this includes my SubD video series (http://www.liberty3d.com/2011/01/new-citizen-and-new-video/). If you were waiting for a sale to pick it up here's your chance. 30% off - only for a few more days though! You need to purchase it through Liberty3d to get the sale price, just fyi.

Use coupon code "Liberty4th" to claim your discount!

JeffrySG
11-28-2011, 09:32 PM
The Liberty3d.com sale is going on for another day or so and this includes my SubD video series. Good time to pick it up if you were waiting for a good sale. Again you need to purchase through Libery3d to get the discount!

Intro to Hard Surface SubD at Liberty3D (http://www.liberty3d.com/2011/01/new-citizen-and-new-video/)

CODE: turkeyday
for 25% off!

JeffrySG
12-29-2011, 01:45 PM
The sale at Liberty3d.com is still going on a for a few days if you wanted to save 30% on the Intro to Hard Surface SubD Modeling videos (http://www.liberty3d.com/2011/01/new-citizen-and-new-video/). I doubt it will ever get cheaper than this.

CODE: tinsel
for 30% off!!

Resolution of videos: 1440 x 900 pixels (two extra videos are 1280 x 970)
Price: $23.99 US (less than $17US with the 30% discount) / Digital Download Only

jaf
12-29-2011, 07:42 PM
Downloading now. With all the great complements in this thread, I'm sure I'll enjoy this and learn a lot!

colkai
12-30-2011, 03:43 AM
Just ordered it, at less than 12 quid, I figured, why the heck not! :)

geo_n
12-30-2011, 04:04 AM
Just checking the screenshots I notice the text buttons are hard to read. Would be great if the next tutorials from any seller would be in medium desktop res like 1280x720 or even lower.
I'm using 23 inch monitor 1440x900 and still hard to read for me. Laptop monitor its impossible to see.

JeffrySG
12-30-2011, 08:02 AM
Downloading now. With all the great complements in this thread, I'm sure I'll enjoy this and learn a lot!

Just ordered it, at less than 12 quid, I figured, why the heck not! :)
Thanks guys. Let me know if you have any question! Liberty3d has a ton of great videos and this is such a great sale.

Just checking the screenshots I notice the text buttons are hard to read. Would be great if the next tutorials from any seller would be in medium desktop res like 1280x720 or even lower.
I'm using 23 inch monitor 1440x900 and still hard to read for me. Laptop monitor its impossible to see.
The videos were actually recorded at 1440x900 so the UI is not reduced at all. Everything is at 100%. I did this for a few reasons: to keep the file size down a bit as it was already almost 2GB and some people have bandwidth limits, to let the user keep other elements open on their screen (as long as they have a higher res display) and also to let users watch the videos if they have a smaller sized screen without reducing the video too much (such on a laptop, etc.). I felt that 1440 was a good compromise for all of these considerations. But again, the UI will look as it does in LW as it's 100% in the videos as long as you're not reducing. :) Personally, I always feel that 1280x720 is always a little too low res for me.

adhesiveX
12-30-2011, 08:16 AM
Ordered last night,downloading this morning.:D

Larry_g1s
12-30-2011, 11:57 AM
The sale at Liberty3d.com is still going on a for a few days if you wanted to save 30% on the Intro to Hard Surface SubD Modeling videos (http://www.liberty3d.com/2011/01/new-citizen-and-new-video/). I doubt it will ever get cheaper than this.

CODE: tinsel
for 30% off!!

Resolution of videos: 1440 x 900 pixels (two extra videos are 1280 x 970)
Price: $23.99 US (less than $17US with the 30% discount) / Digital Download OnlyFor less then $17 bucks, I picked it up. Just waiting for the download info. now. :)

geo_n
12-30-2011, 10:39 PM
The videos were actually recorded at 1440x900 so the UI is not reduced at all. Everything is at 100%. I did this for a few reasons: to keep the file size down a bit as it was already almost 2GB and some people have bandwidth limits, to let the user keep other elements open on their screen (as long as they have a higher res display) and also to let users watch the videos if they have a smaller sized screen without reducing the video too much (such on a laptop, etc.). I felt that 1440 was a good compromise for all of these considerations. But again, the UI will look as it does in LW as it's 100% in the videos as long as you're not reducing. :) Personally, I always feel that 1280x720 is always a little too low res for me.

I'm using 1440 res on my desktop. If I go higher the video text would become smaller.
On 15inch laptop can't read at all. Ipad, impossible.
I attached how it looks like on my desktop. Sorry for the crappy cam.
Left is from another tut, right is your video. Left is very clear and its not even fullscreen and smaller videoplayer. I think they use 1024 which is still being used by digitaltutors, lynda.com.
I bought dwburman squib tut, its in 1280, that might be the highest recommended for these instructional videos.
In comparison William uses 800x600. They are very readable and easy to follow even when video player is scaled down. Just giving feedback to tutorial sellers :D

JeffrySG
12-30-2011, 10:54 PM
I'm using 1440 res on my desktop. If I go higher the video text would become smaller.
On 15inch laptop can't read at all. Ipad, impossible.
I attached how it looks like on my desktop. Sorry for the crappy cam.
Left is from another tut, right is your video. Left is very clear and its not even fullscreen and smaller videoplayer. I think they use 1024 which is still being used by digitaltutors, lynda.com.
I bought dwburman squib tut, its in 1280, that might be the highest recommended for these instructional videos.
In comparison William uses 800x600. They are very readable and easy to follow even when video player is scaled down. Just giving feedback to tutorial sellers :D
I can understand your point on this but to be honest you are the only person who has ever mentioned this at all so I think most people are probably using a higher res than 1440 on their desktops right now. Many of the vids I see are 1280 that were sized down from 1920 or higher. Lynda has most vids scaled down as well and are not 1:1. You could run the videos full screen and they should be 1:1 for you then. What are you using to view the videos? Maybe it is not scaling down the videos very well? Is there a full screen option? There might be different aliasing options if you are not viewing at 100% as well. I haven't tried to view them on an iPad yet. The videos look extremely sharp at 100% for me but still look very readable at reduced sizes as well.

Here's three screen grabs right out of QT player. Full size at 1440, just window reduced down to 1280 and one at 1024 (iPad size). They are all pretty damn sharp on my screen. This is just by resizing the window not an actual file resize as well. It would probably look better if you wanted to watch on the ipad to do an actual file resize down to 1024.

Compare this to the quality on lynda.com and I think most people would agree that these videos look much sharper. Here's a capture from the LW lynda training full size at 100%. Pretty soft, imo.

geo_n
12-30-2011, 11:19 PM
Most probably i'm just one of the few. If i increase res on my desktop that actually makes videos less readable. And making tuts fullscreen you lose the side by side instruction where you can follow along. William probably knows the importance of that being a teacher at school.
Anyway not complaining just some feedback. A smaller res vidcap also means smaller filesize besides the bigger lw gui. :D

JeffrySG
12-30-2011, 11:41 PM
Most probably i'm just one of the few. If i increase res on my desktop that actually makes videos less readable. And making tuts fullscreen you lose the side by side instruction where you can follow along. William probably knows the importance of that being a teacher at school.
Anyway not complaining just some feedback. A smaller res vidcap also means smaller filesize besides the bigger lw gui. :D

I didn't think you were complaining. :) I really do want you to be able to size down the videos so you can watch them the way you need to. I still wonder if playing them in a different player might give you cleaner results. Have you tried playing them in VLC at a reduced size?

geo_n
12-31-2011, 12:54 AM
Yep I even reencode tuts to smaller 640x360 or 640x480 with highbitrate so I can watch on ipad but high res vidcap from sellers above 1280 when resized to a smaller player or screen will worsen the text visibility especially for lw 10.1 gui. Resizing vlc smaller on the original vid doesn't help.
For digi and lynda they even use large icons so viewers can see. I think their text is readable at 1280 on browsers.
Lynda has bad compression on flv. I set them to mov player for clearer text.

colkai
12-31-2011, 03:58 AM
I can understand your point on this but to be honest you are the only person who has ever mentioned this at all so I think most people are probably using a higher res than 1440 on their desktops right now.
I'm not, but in full screen mode, it's quite easy to read, even with my old eyes.
Funnily enough, I find IrfanView shows the MOV better than Quicktime.
I normally use GOM Player but for some reason, it just won't play in that, think my codecs have been fubard at some point as I'm sure I used to watch MOVs in it.

geo_n
12-31-2011, 05:56 AM
Here's a cel shading tut I bought a while back saved my butt with a tight deadline. I could shrink the videoplayer and still follow along.
The video from lino. Excellent info and very pro presentation. Unfortunately I had to watch 3 times on full screen before I could follow along. I guess lino never considered how his lw 10 textbutton is hard to read with his 1440 desktop vidcap. His first tut anyway so no prob.
I might be nitpicking but maybe some sellers might like some feedback.
For example some people don't like Splinegods voice, it was fine for me and all the tuts I bought are super useful regardless and still on my hd for reference.

probiner
12-31-2011, 06:02 AM
Geo_N no Printscreen on your keyboard? :D

Nice price Jeffry

geo_n
12-31-2011, 06:27 AM
Geo_N no Printscreen on your keyboard? :D

Nice price Jeffry

Printscreen doesn't take into account the distance I'm from the monitor :p

Its almost New Year. Happy New Year!!