PDA

View Full Version : ADVERT : New Video training - FanBoy Series 1 - Inspired by D9.

kevman3d
01-03-2011, 12:11 AM
Howdy!

Want to model a cool piece of Alien tech weaponry inspired by the awesome film District 9 (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1136608/)? Oh, Come on, you know you want to! :D

This is the first in my new FanBoy series of training videos. It covers the modeling process from start to finish of a detailed weapon (all the fun stuff - Nurnies, screws, panels, etc).

I'm running a 25% discount for the launch (which makes it around US$26 or so) - with 45 videos, modelsheets/scribbles, etc its a months worth of planning, creating and editing... (spread across a couple of months)

I can finally have the rest of my Christmas break before I'm thrown back into the workplace in a weeks time. :cry:

Check it out HERE (http://www.liberty3d.com/2011/01/new-fanboy-series-in-the-style-of-district-9/).

The final result is in the image below when its finished... :thumbsup:

P.S.
I heavily recommend getting this amazing book - The art of district 9 (Weta workshop) (http://www.wetanz.com/the-art-of-district-9-weta-workshop/) - for anybody interested in this film if you want to really go into the amazing stuff designed and created by the talented Weta Workshop team. I guarantee that its well worth the investment (and no, I'm not secretly doing marketing for Weta - I just love the book :thumbsup:)

borkus
01-03-2011, 07:53 AM
Looks nice Kevin and thanks for all the hard work. I'll definitely be picking this up in a couple of weeks!

realgray
01-03-2011, 09:02 AM
Looks great! Is that wireframe render part of the tutorial or can you share? Looks really nice.

kevman3d
01-03-2011, 01:17 PM
Thanks! The wireframe I added in here is purely to show the geometry created in the tutorial...

As for that render, I just made the whole object black (no diffuse) and turned on Object > Properties > Edges (switched all the edge options to on). Very simple, but worked for this example.

kevman3d
01-03-2011, 01:41 PM
BTW, there was a small issue with the discount coupon (FANBOY2011) prematurely expiring - its been fixed now in case people had been there and spotted it had run out...

Matt
01-03-2011, 01:56 PM
Oh I loved that gun in the film! As well as the robot! Looks like a cool series of tutorials!

Matt
01-03-2011, 01:57 PM
P.S.
I heavily recommend getting this amazing book - The art of district 9 (Weta workshop) (http://www.wetanz.com/the-art-of-district-9-weta-workshop/) - for anybody interested in this film if you want to really go into the amazing stuff designed and created by the talented Weta Workshop team. I guarantee that its well worth the investment (and no, I'm not secretly doing marketing for Weta - I just love the book :thumbsup:)

Yeah yeah, you Kiwis stick together, I don't believe a word of it! ;)

That does look like a cool book indeed. I have the Star Wars ones, might have to get this one too!

kevman3d
01-03-2011, 02:06 PM
Yeah yeah, you Kiwis stick together, I don't believe a word of it! ;)

If that was true, someone should have given me a discount when I bought that book! lol! :D

That does look like a cool book indeed. I have the Star Wars ones, might have to get this one too!

Art books are great inspirational resources for everything, specially in this industry. Well, that and all the toys... Ahem, "collectable figures" I mean't to say. :rolleyes:

Matt
01-03-2011, 02:29 PM
Art books are great inspirational resources for everything, specially in this industry. Well, that and all the toys... Ahem, "collectable figures" I mean't to say. :rolleyes:

Oh definately, I always want to design something after reading one!

The Tron : Legacy one will be worth a look I reckon.

JeffrySG
01-03-2011, 08:50 PM
I thought that the weapons from D9 were so cool! This is such a great topic for a video series!

IgnusFast
01-04-2011, 12:33 AM
Too bad it doesn't cover texturing as well -- that's one area I could use serious help with. Especially with UVs...

kevman3d
01-04-2011, 02:15 AM
I know what you mean... A few people wanted Texturing, but at 5.6hrs already that would have pushed it to 10-12 (and that would have been one HUGE product).

I will have to eventually do this to complete the weapon anyway, but I need a break - this ones eaten up most the free time I had. And I am almost at the end of the holiday before I get slapped back into the office. :(

DBMiller
01-04-2011, 02:34 PM
I'm such a sucker for tutorials I had to buy this one (especially on sale)! Plus, I loved this film. Thanks you!
DBMiller

JeffrySG
01-04-2011, 07:27 PM
I will have to eventually do this to complete the weapon anyway, but I need a break - this ones eaten up most the free time I had.

Perfect excuse for a Part II video! Coming soon!! (or eventually) lol

kevman3d
01-10-2011, 01:54 AM
A quick heads up - The 25% discount code FANBOY2011 is about to expire tomorrow for anybody still wondering about buying this one. :eek:

You save around $7.50 off the full price using this code...

DBMiller
01-10-2011, 07:12 AM
I've just started watching this (last night) tutorial. Excellent picture and sound quality! Much better than some of the $40 or $50 Gnomon vids I've bought where you can't even see the computer settings clearly.
Not only is the final project cool, the process so far is very educational. You sure make modeling in LightWave look pretty smooth and easy!
Thanks for taking the time to create this (and NOT editing it down too much or speeding it up) and for offering a discount!
Two thumbs up!
DBMiller

kevman3d
01-10-2011, 02:10 PM
Wow! Thanks for that kind feedback - you'll make me blush! :o

kevman3d
02-13-2011, 12:04 AM
Thanks to everybody who's bought this one so far. This is just an update so you know that this project didn't just finish with the modeling part. (and to prove I am still alive) :)

In the next month or two I'm hoping to get a texturing tutorial out so that people can take that grey-looking gun and make it look much cooler and kick-****.

Its busy times here right now, but I'm pretty confident that it won't be too far away. I'll update this thread once its ready to roll... :)

kevman3d
07-25-2011, 03:56 AM
Its been months apart, but I now have completed part 2 (http://www.liberty3d.com/2011/07/fanboy-series-2-uv-unwrapping/) - its completely about UV Unwrapping the weapon, and I have also included the 3D model for people who didn't model it themselves.

Lifes been stupidly busy here, so its taken waaaaay harder to find time then I thought, however if you're interested in part 2, here's the specs...

1.8Gb (3.8 hours) of download in 3 files
$19.95 - but use the discount code D9ATLAST to get 25% until 1-Aug-2011
26 vidz - Quicktime, Mpeg4, 1064 x 840

It goes all the way from basic start through to the exporting of the UV map for painting. Some of the model took a lot of thinking to work out how to best unwrap and layout the UVs - luckily I talk about it all in the videos. :)

I also optimised down my model to simplify the amount of geometry to unwrap - I didn't go into detail (have explained lightly in the first video) but if you've modelled this already, its simply a case of finding all the hidden details (like some of the cylinders inside sleeves/casings) and cutting/deleting them if you can't see it. The 24 small cylinders that run along the top of the gun I also simplified down by deleting all but one... It doesn't make sense to try and unwrap 24 things that are identical - get one right, then just duplicate it (this is covered in the videos - you'd hope so, obviously! :D )

I've not gone into the whole painting process - and I'm sure there are loads of talented artists about who have a pile of talent in this area! :D