PDA

View Full Version : OCR and Datalink

avkid6345
01-02-2011, 10:11 AM
We use LiveText and DataLink for our sports productions and would like to step up the quality of the information displayed on our graphics. Most of the stadiums we're at have older fair-play scoreboards and controllers. I was wondering if it was possible, using some sort of Video OCR program to drive the game clock or even scores. In theory does this sound remotely possible?

avkid6345
01-02-2011, 11:18 AM
Answered my own question...

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114551

brians0105
01-02-2011, 01:28 PM
Yep, you answered your own question. It's completely possible with LiveText and DataLink (or collectively as LiveText2). We are currently testing the system from Graphics Outfitters for our basketball games beginning this Friday. We've tested it plenty and are confident it will work well for our first actual production with it in a couple of days. We'll post some video of the actual game once we're back in town from the game.

Brian

SportsJunkie
01-02-2011, 07:42 PM
Depending on the Fairplay controllers you have at each venue, you could just use the controller directly into LiveText v2.0.

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91325&highlight=fairplay

GraphicsOutfit
01-02-2011, 09:41 PM
Answered my own question...

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114551

Please let me know if you have any questions regarding our OCR Program or it's functionality. Remember, our program makes all of the visable scoreboard data "IP centric".. So you can then send those variables to databases/SQL or to other IP addresses for wider distribution.

The setup is quite easy and once you are familiar with the interface. It should take less than 4 minutes to set up. I will let Brian and Zach who are beta testing this for Tricaster provide their own operations comments as they use it in a production environment over the next 8 weeks.

The information you display is exactly as it is displayed on the stadium scoreboard (with a couple of frames delay). Not a proxy that someone is attempting to match the scoreboard as closely as they can via an external controller. Once you set it up.. It should all be automatic and handsfree.

We just finished up the Bridging Application so that the OCR program will drive a serial port and a Daktronics RTD protocol so that it can drive any device which accepts Daktronics protocol via Low Technology COMM ports. (Chyron/Avid/Viz etc) We will be testing this with "Sports Media" for CBS College Sports next week at SDSU.

Best Regards,
Rich
Graphics Outfitters

avkid6345
01-03-2011, 05:00 PM
Depending on the Fairplay controllers you have at each venue, you could just use the controller directly into LiveText v2.0.

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91325&highlight=fairplay

One of the main reasons I don't love this route is I don't want to buy a long cable and usb adapter. We already use a cheap-o camera on the scoreboard for an iso in the truck for graphics (and we could take the liveset pip route but don't like the look). We use a core 2 duo laptop with livetext2 for our upper third scoreboard and a compix cg for lower third and stat display. And I already have a capture interface for the laptop too... I just think that this OCR software would be easier and the most universal way to do things. The youtube video in your thread is very promising too! I'm excited to try this software out and eliminate yet another position in our truck set-up.

avkid6345
01-03-2011, 06:22 PM
What's included in the FTP download file? Is it a fully functional program? I have to fire up the production truck to get to a Windows computer that can open the file.

brians0105
01-03-2011, 06:52 PM
By the FTP file, are you talking about the demo from Rich at Graphics Outfitters? If so, I believe that is a demo of the OCR software that just provides you with a pre-recorded scoreboard and the OCR text display for the clock to show you how it works.

Brian