PDA

View Full Version : Creativity help

SonicN2O
01-01-2011, 07:46 PM
I'm looking at the things that other people have made on LightWave (and CG software in general, for that matter.) Purticularly spaceships, and My big question has always been, how do people make such amazing and original designs, and how are people able to but such minute detail on things without working on the same project for years? Take the B5 station model for example. How did that person, who's name escapes me at the moment, be able to build a CG space station with a poly count from here to Alpha Centauri in only 5 weeks? It's amazing! is there a shortcut? are there methods? Am I just being naieve because I'm new to lightwave? This is the question that got me into CG.

UltraViolet
01-01-2011, 11:31 PM
Lots of doodling is what I do. Often (well, not in the very beginning) from something simple complexity arises.

I almost never duplicate someone else's work. If I'm inspired by something I like to create my own variations which leads to even more variations and hopefully to something completely different ...

I always have pencil and paper in my car, so if I have an idea (you never know), I can immediately do a quick sketch ... no matter how basic it is it can help a lot later.

Did I mention I do a lots of doodling (with appropriate music in the background), helps me relax too :hey:

P.S.

Here is something I modeled after watching Mission to Mars movie and being loosely inspired by the ship itself:

http://www.kemalandsheila.com/variousimages2/Odyssey.jpg

I have DVD so reference images were no problem, I could of model it more
accurately, but I did not want to, I just wanted to make something similar :D

Dexter2999
01-01-2011, 11:36 PM
Shortcut? Greebles and Nurnies.
Also, SYMMETRY. Not the mode, the concept. When you think about it, you only have to model HALF a spaceship! Then you can add details to each side.

nickdigital
01-01-2011, 11:54 PM
Like the previous posters said, putting pencil to paper helps. This way you know what you're building before launching Modeler. That'll help reduce your build time. Keep in mind fast modelers have hours of time invested in learning and practicing with their software of choice.

I don't know if Ron Thornton himself built B5 but I know he worked on the show as he was one of the founders of Foundation Imaging.

In addition to nurnies and mirroring your model, using a tool as basic as the array tool will get you a lot of mileage out of simple shapes.

Look to real world objects for inspiration.

This site is always fun to browse too:
http://conceptships.blogspot.com/