PDA

View Full Version : Where is my lw 10 trial serial number?

quibz
01-01-2011, 12:01 PM
Hi,
I cant find my lw 10 trial sn.

Loaded it per newtek instructions (deselect sentinel install, etc..) and it says it should be in the lower left corner of the "no dongle found " screen on 1st program startup.
Nothing there. The rest of the screen looks identicle to what they show for register help but NO Serial number.

No previous lw versions have been registered.
I have a nt account and am at the register page asking for the trial sn so I can register and start the 30day trial.

The progam "about" is of no help either.

Any ideas before I call NT?

Thanks for any help I can get, you guys are awesome.
Greg

Dexter2999
01-01-2011, 12:19 PM
Trial versions don't need dongles or sn, historically. Did things change?

http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/lwtrial.php

IMI
01-01-2011, 01:36 PM
Trial versions don't need dongles or sn, historically. Did things change?

I would imagine he's referring to the 30 day license key, which you do need and always have needed for an LW trial, that you can get after registering.
No dongle needed of course - that would kind of defeat the whole trial idea. ;)

It's all ridiculously convoluted though, IMO. They should just do like Autodesk does and have a form to fill out then end of story - download and use, no fuss, no hoops to jump through, no registration necessary, no keys to install. Simple and efficient.

Download. Install. Model. Animate. Render. ;)

mkiii
01-02-2011, 04:33 AM
The point being is that to get the serial number and be able to register, you need to physically remove your dongle to get the screen with the serial number in it. Incidentally, I notice that the serial number is exactly the same as the one that 9.6 displays when I remove the dongle and run that.

VoltisArt
01-03-2011, 12:27 AM
Thank you, mkiii. It may have been written someplace but wasn't given enough attention in the instruction docs. That little detail is important.

jakuzaa
01-03-2011, 02:03 AM
Anyone succeed to register the trial version?

VoltisArt
01-03-2011, 02:12 AM
I just went through the process several different ways with and without my hardware key in, with no luck. With it in I'm told to obtain a permanent license key. With it out I get the prompt screen described here:

Follow all the steps either way with the key in or out, restart LW or LW and the computer, same prompts pop up. Even tried copying the key file into the bin folder, as it used to be inside LightWave/Programs.

I give...bed time. Maybe I should quit while I've still got (will eventually have, rather...) my $495, lol.

Weetos
01-03-2011, 03:40 AM
The problem is that even if you unplug your dongle, and as mkiii said, the serial number generated by 10 is the same as 9.6. So if you ever registered 9.6 Trial on your box, well you won't be able to register 10 Trial.

I suspected 10 was some disguised 9.7, and this proves me right !

Seriously VPR and linear workflow are nice, but I think I'll stick with 9.6 for a while.

colkai
01-03-2011, 07:23 AM
Ouch, that sucks the big one.
As I have 9.6 on both my machines, I really can't see any point in attempting to test the demo if that's how it is.
If LW10 is still very much LW9.6 is various respects, it kinda points to what I said all along, why couldn't CORE tech be implemented int LW9.X without upsetting it. Answer now seems, it could, to a degree, if not more so in the future.
After all, there is nothing to say NT won't backtrack further and end up with LWCORE as a developing version of LW10 and CORE as was initially "revealed" disappears like it's creator.