View Full Version : How long is the limited time price good for

12-31-2010, 10:30 AM
Can someone tell me how long I have to scrape some money together to upgrade? With the $495 offer being extended, I don't want to blow the chance before it goes up, but I also have a few bills to take care of too.

12-31-2010, 10:56 AM
As stated, it's good until CORE 1.0 is released. No one knows when that will be. I would think and hope that NT give us some warning or clues (CORE prerelease video or why not a mysterious website) when the time is about to arrive.

12-31-2010, 07:03 PM
I want to know the timeframe aswell, would be nice, if one from the staff could shed some light on this.

01-01-2011, 05:26 PM
This should not be a mystery or open-ended thing. Every other store I know of (U.S. or international) gives deadlines for sales. Should they decide to extend the sale because Core takes longer than anticipated, most people won't have a problem -- it's an unexpected bonus -- but pulling the rug out when people aren't looking really isn't cool.

The preview video seems likely, but is in no way a reasonable warning for those of us who may need to save up the money to make the sale price.

Related: Re: LightWave 10 Has Arrived (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1095866&postcount=109)

01-01-2011, 06:03 PM
I understand that. But consider what a deadline for the deal would imply,... the next projected release date for CORE. They don't know that, and they don't want to miss it again, because it looks bad. Extending the deal would be viewed as admitting they failed at making another release on time (by some people, even if it was truly just the end of the deal). Or they could opt at not extending the deal, in which case people would get pissed because they didn't feel they got a good enough glimpse of what they are buying into. They are damned if they do or don't.

It seems the best thing NT could do is not to give another date, but rather just promise to give fair warning when the time is about to arrives, and ofcourse make damned sure they follow up on that promise. Maybe in addition to hardcore they should have a prospect list. That's what all the other hardcore clubs have, no? They could get cool badges to sew on their jackets. ;D

01-01-2011, 10:04 PM
Personally, I wouldn't need a specific date, but what would help me greatly is if they could possibly say the extended sale would be effective for another month, end of the first quarter, sometime in the foreseeable future,...just something that if I can get the money together in a couple of weeks, I could upgrade.
Not sure about other countries, but being in the US, I know I am going to get hammered with taxes this year and if I put the money together, but could upgrade say in February, I could take care of the taxes first and not risk the chance of falling behind, then upgrade.

On a separate note, I haven't heard anything about the rigging video with the upgrade. Anyone that has it already and could give a review on what to expect would be appreciated. I know I will be buying RebelHills videos on rigging, but the more info on the subject will be welcome by me.

01-01-2011, 10:28 PM
The rigging video hasn't shipped yet, so you'll have to wait on a review. My guess is that Core won't be released for a few months, but that's just a guess.

01-02-2011, 01:38 AM
The only question about this that I have is, if we buy now, we still get the discount, but does it include the "locked in for the next 5 versions" part of the deal, or is it just a discount on this one?

01-03-2011, 12:47 AM
As stated, it's good until CORE 1.0 is released.

After reading the new replies, I realized tonight that I'd missed your wording above before making my last reply. Are you able to point me in the direction of where that was stated? Sounds awesome but I'd feel more secure with something official.

It's not looking like Core is anywhere near final, so our budgets may have some good time to prepare for the shock.

01-03-2011, 09:19 AM
It's in the last paragraph of the last Lightwave 10 Update.


01-03-2011, 03:09 PM
Thank you. Perhaps making it more clear would be advisable, as well as making the note on every page where the limited time deal is written about. Clarity is always a good thing so customers aren't left wondering. The standard asterisk with footnote works quite well to maintain the timing of the message and still get the boring details laid out.

Maybe the marketing team needs a point upgrade, along with the software? ;D

An occasional font change helps details stand out, too. Only headings bolded (the product page for LW10, for example,) makes a page read slightly better than a newspaper article.

I mean not to bash too much or point at any one person, but proper marketing goes a long way...the issues mentioned in this thread not being the only ones I can think of, nor the most important.

(Topic derail, but this is related. Both problems are on the marketing dept's shoulders and internal people need to learn from mistakes if they hope to keep this O-so-awesome software afloat.)

Colkai and others have pointed out large fallacies in the release thread. I've read that things that should have been listed as "wants" were presented as "wills." Things a software will do should not be stated publicly until they are in beta testing. Alpha testing tells you if you're probably able to pull something off or not and you don't know if it works until it's been tested. Otherwise (before and during alpha phase) they're only things "we hope to accomplish."

I'm jumping into the game late on and don't know all the goings-on in the company, but the stuff I'm seeing seems pretty glaring. Things change and occasionally plans completely crash, but when asking people for money, a company should take every possible step to see that they deliver on promises.

It's marketing's job to know what and how to promise what can actually be delivered so customers don't feel left down...and in the case of a plan crash, offer up something else that may placate the masses and admit that there was a problem. Note: Deleting the original information does not count as admitting there was a problem, lol.

End rant/lecture. I feel better and apologize for any casualties due to the above paragraphs. :cool:
_ _ _

O, Philbert, I did read in several places that our prices will still lock in. The HardCore people who bought in last year got a slightly better deal, ($395,) but provided we continue to buy updates, our price will be locked at $495. If you decide not to buy any one of those five, you lose the special pricing and pay what's currently offered on later versions.

It's a great deal for those who know they'll want all five increments, but if you tend to pick and choose you may save money in the long run. ($495 + 695 + 895) is still less than ($495 + 495 + 495 + 495 + 495). Even if the upgrades go up by that much by version 14 or 15, you've still got enough to buy a shiny new tire or something equally useful. ;)