PDA

View Full Version : Can't register LW10 Trial

Weetos
12-31-2010, 08:18 AM
I'm trying to register LW10 Trial Edition (WinXP 32bit), but I get this message : "All 30 day Trial Edition keys have been issued for this serial number. Please contact customer service at 1-800-862-7837 if you need assistance. ". How is it possible ? I mean I can't find this serial number in my "My products", so how could it be already registered ?

My dongle is not plugged ( left it at home today) and I have four license numbers registered (9.6 PC and Mac, 9.6 Trial and 9.6 Beta).

Any help welcome

JeffrySG
12-31-2010, 08:41 AM
I'm trying to register LW10 Trial Edition (WinXP 32bit), but I get this message : "All 30 day Trial Edition keys have been issued for this serial number. Please contact customer service at 1-800-862-7837 if you need assistance. ". How is it possible ? I mean I can't find this serial number in my "My products", so how could it be already registered ?

My dongle is not plugged ( left it at home today) and I have four license numbers registered (9.6 PC and Mac, 9.6 Trial and 9.6 Beta).

Any help welcome

It kind of sounds like NT doesn't have any more numbers available for the trial ed. Maybe they only had a certain number available and they are all gone now. I would contact NT to see if they can just issue you a number - or I wouldn't be surprised if NT was in the process of creating more trial serial numbers.

evenflcw
12-31-2010, 09:48 AM
The error message should be rewritten, because it's confusing. NT hasn't run out of keys. There are no limit to the number of users the software can have. What has happened is that the serial has already been registered once before, by the same person, likely for the 9.6 demo. So it's used up. Unfortunately LW10 demo used the same seed value or whatnot so it produces the same serial. The serial seems to be generated based on some hardware component (network card mac address maybe), so different systems will produce different serial. If you have another computer, try installing the demo on that and you'll likely get another serial that you'll have no problem registering.

That's a solution. A rich mans solution *pun intended*. Imho NT need to edit the demo installer so it produces a different serial to earlier demos on the same system. Because not everyone has access to or want to run LW on a another system. And most of us want to base our decision on the latest version rather than what we saw 2 years ago. I think NT want this to.

Dennik
01-06-2011, 02:28 PM
I'm having the same problem and I called customer service. They'll get back to me. I'll let you know if there is a solution to this.

Weetos
01-06-2011, 02:31 PM
That's very nice of you. Thanks !

StOuen
01-07-2011, 02:45 AM
Yarp. Same here. Just adding my name to the list!

Weetos
01-11-2011, 12:15 PM
Any news Dennik ?

Dennik
01-11-2011, 12:17 PM
Nope, they never called me or send me an email. I'll call them again to see what's going on.

StOuen
01-13-2011, 08:28 AM
Gotta say this is shocking Newtek. Get your act together.

Weetos
01-13-2011, 08:49 AM
Yep I can't believe there's no replies from NT

In the meantime I checked and realized the 9.6 serial number on my work computer has been registered on one of my coworker's account (That's why it wasn't listed in my products list).

I guess we're stuck in discovery edition, then :screwy:

Since NT won't reply, does anybody knows how we could change the serial number generated by LW on a given machine, if feasible ? (I mean without having to change the CPU, cause I guess its serial number is used by the algorithm )

evenflcw
01-13-2011, 10:18 AM
The easiest way, if you have multiple network cards (most have atleast 2; but only use 1), is to change their priority to make LW see a different mac address.

http://www.windowsreference.com/windows-2000/change-network-adapter-priority-in-xp2000/

Weetos
01-13-2011, 10:22 AM
Nice ! Do you think it would work if I simply change my MAC address ? (some network adapters allows for user defined MAC addresses )

I'll have to try this out, thanks evenflcw for your help

evenflcw
01-13-2011, 10:24 AM
Yes.

Weetos
01-14-2011, 02:03 PM
Yoohooh ! changing the mac address did the trick (just changed one single bit actually), I then registered the new serial number and now running in Trial mode.

This mess lead to something rather cool : I now know how to extend the trial period to more than 30 days :devil:

Thanks again evenflcw !

evenflcw
01-14-2011, 03:32 PM
*mumble mumble*

YW, I guess. Not sure I like being thanked for telling how to extend trials beyond NTs intent. But what to do!? The trial won't run otherwise! People aren't stupid and mac addresses are the most common way to uniquely identify a machine, and in extension its user. So it's not like it's a big secret or anything. Although not cracking, it might still be in breach of the ULA. I'll leave that to each and everyone to decide for themselves.

Hopefully NT will re-release the demo so we won't have to mess about with our systems to get a trial running.

Weetos
01-14-2011, 03:50 PM
Sure, I'd prefer having a fixed install package instead of having to hack

About extending the trial, it sure breaks the ULA, I was being a bit sarcastic on purpose - I guess 30 days will be enough for me to decide whether I upgrade or not. Now as you said, people will decide for themselves.