PDA

View Full Version : Bones transfered when using Save Trans Obj

lreyes
12-31-2010, 06:14 AM
If I move the bones in my character in layout and save the model with new positions using the Save Trans Object and give it a different name, will the bones that were reposition also transfer to Modeler? I think I tried that, but when I opened the character with new rig in modeler, the character had the new bone rig, but the bones were not included, is that a work-around this?

Carm3D
12-31-2010, 07:15 AM
Bones are not saved in Lightwave models. Your bones and rigging information is saved in your scene file.

Lightwave models can have "skelegons" which are potential bones, but they are essentially invisible inside of layout, and therefore not modifiable outside of modeler. Layout only has the one tool "Convert Skelegons to bones"

FYI: It's likely any model you save out via "Save Tranformed Object" will not include skelegons.

The one advantage of this kind of setup is you can swap one model to another one the same rig. If you created your weightmaps in standardized system, it should be relatively painless to do so.

lreyes
12-31-2010, 07:33 AM
So your saying that skelegon are not saved for modeler, that is fine. but now you say that I can exchange another model using the rig I had for a previous model in a scene, so how is that done? Will the bones I have lets say (like a character holding a gun) transfer to another character if the character is in the T formation (arms out), how will the bone fit in that?.

Carm3D
12-31-2010, 08:12 AM
If your base model A is in the classic T pose and model B is posed holding a gun, then swapping them will not be so easy. But why would you want any character you intend to have a full range of motion to have such a specific, non-symmetrical pose?

lreyes
12-31-2010, 10:30 AM
well, because I want to be able to use the same pose to another character with having to do another rig of the same pose. (The one advantage of this kind of setup is you can swap one model to another one the same rig. If you created your weightmaps in standardized system, it should be relatively painless to do so. ) This is what you said that had me scratching my head...

Carm3D
12-31-2010, 12:40 PM
OK I see, you simply want to trade poses between characters. But doing it the way you suggested in your first question is not a good way.

I can think of a few ways that might get you close to what you are after..

One is with IKBooster. It has a tool to save poses. But I think it's meant for reposing the same character to a favorite pose. The problem with IKBooster is it is unstable and highly quirky.

The second method is via Motion Mixer. Lightwave's Non-linear animation tool. But it is antiquated and again probably meant for recalling poses or motion clips localized to the same character.

The third is Lightwave's new-ish RIG format. You can save a rig to a file, then load it into another character. But it does not, to the best of my knowledge, save expressions and motion plugins, etc. with the file. Just the bones. And as far as I know, this does not save motions or poses. Just the initial pose.

I think that if you really want to clone a pose and you are unwilling to take the few minutes to manually pose your new character, the swapping of a similarly-posed model would be your best bet. If you use joint-style bones, you can re-position them to match the joint areas of your 2nd model fairly quickly and painlessly.

You might find benefit to my YouTube channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/carm3d). Even if none of my vids deal specifically with your issue. Good luck.

lreyes
12-31-2010, 06:35 PM
good stuff Carm I will looking to that..OH, I was watching the siggraph and they were talking about the new LW 10 but the rigging guy did not do that section justice. I thought LW would have more new stuff for rigging models, What I see is that LW 10 is mostly doing something fast and not go to other windows to do stuff also the dynamic are better, I will not opt for the 495.00 for now...

lreyes
12-31-2010, 06:36 PM
Pretty neat Utube site you have, I will look at it more closely...