PDA

View Full Version : Skin Shader

bpritchard
12-30-2010, 04:13 PM
Hey Newtekians,

I'm having a few issues (well... actually no luck at all :help:) using either simple skin or fast skin shaders. I've watched the video on the newtek site, and frankly my results don't even start out correctly.

I basically make a ball (starting simple vs. trying to get my whole head into it), bring it into layout. From there i go into the node editor for its material, add a skin shader (either one), connect the material out of the skin shader to the material in of the material itself and hit render... and the result is just a black-ish ball. Even if i put colour on the ball prior to applying the material it still renders black.

I'm almost 100% sure i'm doing something simply stupid but... i dunno. Are there any pointers or walkthroughs for someone who's never used either shader?

Cheers
Bryan

Sensei
12-30-2010, 04:28 PM
Hmm.. did you enable Ray Tracing options in Render Globals.. ?

RebelHill
12-30-2010, 04:36 PM
u using fprime to render by any chance??

also, check you turn on double sided for the surface.

bpritchard
12-30-2010, 04:42 PM
Hmm... that seemed to do the trick, although i find it strange that it didn't work before. I have those values on by default... so when i started w/a new scene it worked. Clueless on that one.... but thats for the quick reply Sensei!

bpritchard
12-30-2010, 04:46 PM
No Rebel, i was using the standard renderer... although i was testing it in VPR as well... which may have been my problem now that i think about it. :)

Skonk
12-30-2010, 04:54 PM
You need Raytrace Transparency and Raytrace Refraction turned on in the Render Globals panel (odly it works with either turned on but I assume you should really have both on).

It's an SSS effect which involves both transparency and refractive properties so it makes sence that they need to be raytraced.

MAUROCOR
12-30-2010, 05:42 PM
No Rebel, i was using the standard renderer... although i was testing it in VPR as well... which may have been my problem now that i think about it. :)

Simple Skin works fine but Fast Skin doesnīt work in VPR because itīs preprocess.
It is not necessary to make the surface double sided using Simple/Fast skin shader.

bpritchard
12-31-2010, 08:59 AM
Thanks for the replys everyone... so my next question is is it possible to use either a normal or a bump (or perhaps both) on the simple skin material? If i plug those items directly into the base material, they work fine. But the minute i plug them into the simple skin i loose all that data.. gone.

I've tried assigning them to various locations but there are normal and bump entries in the simple skin material.. would i not just connect those nodes as usual?

Thanks again for all the help.. greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Bryan

12-31-2010, 09:41 AM
how are you lighting the scene? If only with GI then you need to turn on "Respect Bumps".

bpritchard
12-31-2010, 09:44 AM
Robert, thanks for the response. I'm not using GI, but i did mess w/the respect bump and i had to throw it up pretty high but i am getting the results i'm looking for. Thanks again for everyones help!

Cheers
Bryan